Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

Easiest is to book your bike with one of the companies that ship it down. You drop it off with them the week before somewhere up in Joburg. Then you collect it at the start the day before or the morning of the race and drop it off with them again at the finish. And collect it back up in Joburg a week later.

I've used Elliott for the last few CTCTs and have no complaints and zero hassles.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 12/13/2021 at 10:51 AM, Jaco said:

Hi all

Doing my first CTCT next year after doing my first RideJoburg this year 🙂

Entry and flight tickets from JHB already booked... 

Being a newby at this, what is the best way to get my bike there and back in 1 piece.

My airline said I can book it in as checked luggage, but it needs to comply with the size limits which I highly doubt it will...

Thanks in advance!

If you only going down a few days before the race and only plan on 1 or 2 rides on Friday and Saturday, then one of the transport companies is the best option. Like said above it's an easy and pain free experience. Drop the bike off(most providers will have a lbs near to you) and then usually you can collect from like Thursday/Friday and they pretty much all near to the expo/finish area. Drop off is the same spot straight after the race. Then you get your bike back from about the Wednesday afterwards at the same place you dropped it off in joburg. 

But if you going down for a bit longer and want to do some extra riding before and after then on the plane with you is the best option. Just pack really well in a bike bag or cardboard box. 

WRT Bike Transport:

Elliotts were really good for me in the past on bike transport. I used them as well so can recommend them, and i recommend them as they box the bike whole and you don't have anyone doing anything to your bike to pack them tighter in a trailer to save space.  I didn't use them for the last CTCT in October and it cost me. I used Fabians bike transport as Elliotts weren't running their service and Fabians guys unfortunately dropped my bike on the RHS  STI by them which damaged it. Not significantly just cosmetic scratches (deep and will reduce the value of the bike though)  but more than irritating as it was clearly their fault which they of course denied, but after much ranting and raving they offered to fix it and "would collect it" .

Needless to say its the 20th of December today and i am still waiting for them. It was clearly their fault but rather than own up they denied all responsibility and have dodged me ever since.

Moral of the story is that there are many operators who transport bikes down to CTCT but the smaller ones do move your bars to allow them to pack more bikes in the trailer. They also have no insurance and will do everything to ensure they make it your responsibility. R 1200 for return trip to CTN was the rate which is the same as Elliotts. 

Be careful which ones you choose and ask the right questions. Work through the big bike shops.

On 12/20/2021 at 5:42 PM, Paul Ruinaard said:

WRT Bike Transport:

Elliotts were really good for me in the past on bike transport. I used them as well so can recommend them, and i recommend them as they box the bike whole and you don't have anyone doing anything to your bike to pack them tighter in a trailer to save space.  I didn't use them for the last CTCT in October and it cost me. I used Fabians bike transport as Elliotts weren't running their service and Fabians guys unfortunately dropped my bike on the RHS  STI by them which damaged it. Not significantly just cosmetic scratches (deep and will reduce the value of the bike though)  but more than irritating as it was clearly their fault which they of course denied, but after much ranting and raving they offered to fix it and "would collect it" .

Needless to say its the 20th of December today and i am still waiting for them. It was clearly their fault but rather than own up they denied all responsibility and have dodged me ever since.

Moral of the story is that there are many operators who transport bikes down to CTCT but the smaller ones do move your bars to allow them to pack more bikes in the trailer. They also have no insurance and will do everything to ensure they make it your responsibility. R 1200 for return trip to CTN was the rate which is the same as Elliotts. 

Be careful which ones you choose and ask the right questions. Work through the big bike shops.

Hmm so I'm not the only one with a gripe about the way Fabians does business. I was about to go with Fabian but smelt a rat and my gut told me to find alternative transport and I'm glad I did after reading this. 

29 minutes ago, Long Wheel Base said:

Hmm so I'm not the only one with a gripe about the way Fabians does business. I was about to go with Fabian but smelt a rat and my gut told me to find alternative transport and I'm glad I did after reading this. 

BTW saw this online when i was looking for Elliotts for the upcoming race:

https://www.hellopeter.com/elliott-mobility/reviews/elliot-bicycle-transport-to-ct-dont-leave-without-them-2704315

I am not sure if the service is running for the 2021 version. I would be interested who you decide to go with when you do as i need to solve the same problem. There's a bunch andrew Maclean recommends as well. I was thinking of using them if Elliotts don't open up a service.

For me there is only one guy to use and that is Joggie. (Joggie's Bicycle Transport |)

Careful when you Google Joggies Bicycle Transport, the first result is Fabian. Not sure how they achieve that but again a reflection on integrity. 

29 minutes ago, jcza said:

For me there is only one guy to use and that is Joggie. (Joggie's Bicycle Transport |)

Careful when you Google Joggies Bicycle Transport, the first result is Fabian. Not sure how they achieve that but again a reflection on integrity. 

+1 for Joggie

Have used his service a number of times and have always been happy. He has purpose built bike trailers and does not need to change anything on your bike to make it fit. Always super helpful and friendly. 

On 12/22/2021 at 12:26 PM, ouzo said:

+1 for Joggie

Have used his service a number of times and have always been happy. He has purpose built bike trailers and does not need to change anything on your bike to make it fit. Always super helpful and friendly. 

Thanks - if you google elliotts then Fabians also comes up. You just need to pay for a couple of search terms on google. I saw Joggies was recommended by Andrew at Cyclelab as well, so if the Elliotts guys dont create a service i will definitely use him.

On 12/22/2021 at 11:16 AM, Long Wheel Base said:

I used Fabian's this year for the CTCT for my bike and cannot complain about the service. Was able to drop of the bike and pick up at a LBS. (Even had a cool sticker with my name on)

I would definitely recommend this type of transport when travelling and there is a Joggie's or an Elliot's or even Fabian, available. It is less of a hassle compared to flying with your bike in a box, which we also did this year with a friend's bike. Your bike box cannot weigh more than 30kg at weigh-in and we were charge R370 each way as a "handling fee" for the box, regardless of weight. 

TLDR; I would rather use a bike transport company

14 hours ago, peetwindhoek said:

I used Fabian's this year for the CTCT for my bike and cannot complain about the service. Was able to drop of the bike and pick up at a LBS. (Even had a cool sticker with my name on)

I would definitely recommend this type of transport when travelling and there is a Joggie's or an Elliot's or even Fabian, available. It is less of a hassle compared to flying with your bike in a box, which we also did this year with a friend's bike. Your bike box cannot weigh more than 30kg at weigh-in and we were charge R370 each way as a "handling fee" for the box, regardless of weight. 

TLDR; I would rather use a bike transport company

The things I hated about boxing the bike and sticking it on a plane

* dismantling and reassembling. It never feels exactly right afterwards

* greater possibility of damage (baggage handlers are not exactly gentle)

* having to hire a vehicle on the other side that can take you, your passengers, luggage and bike(s) in a box. I once landed up with an ATOZ, 3 of us in the car and 2 bikes.

* CO2 bombs are an issue, you cant put them in the bike box, you cant take them as hand luggage

It costs slightly more to use a transport company but the pros far outway the cons.

1 hour ago, ouzo said:

The things I hated about boxing the bike and sticking it on a plane

* dismantling and reassembling. It never feels exactly right afterwards

* greater possibility of damage (baggage handlers are not exactly gentle)

* having to hire a vehicle on the other side that can take you, your passengers, luggage and bike(s) in a box. I once landed up with an ATOZ, 3 of us in the car and 2 bikes.

* CO2 bombs are an issue, you cant put them in the bike box, you cant take them as hand luggage

It costs slightly more to use a transport company but the pros far outway the cons.

and the schlep of having your bike with you and having to cart it to the airport and drop it off. Its worth the money to outsource the problem.

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, ouzo said:

I;m just trying to see where I can scrounge up the budget to get down there

Ja neh, usually we have a year to refinance the cycle tour budget, 5 months makes things painful

7 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Bring some other people with you, rent the big apartment and share the costs! I will make sure the microwave heats things up this time.......

I was thinking the same thing, just need to check on who is doing what. the big apartment would be ideal.