Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

That didn't take too long. A mate's CTCT from October. The power is too erractic, but the HR is perhaps a better indicator to compare with your .zwo file. 

Screenshot 2022-02-17 142241.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

That didn't take too long. A mate's CTCT from October. The power is too erractic, but the HR is perhaps a better indicator to compare with your .zwo file. 

Screenshot 2022-02-17 142241.png

Goes as far as 45km so I see Edinburgh drive effort which looks like a bigger push than the zwo and I think the spike at 45 is Smits. 

Hard to say without having a more granular graph and not knowing his FTP of course --- I reckon the zwift is probably accurate - I know for sure from bitter experience I need considerably more than 110%FTP on Edinburgh and probably a sustaned threshold effort on smits kicking up to a VO2max on the steep last section and high vo2max on chappies ....

I think my zwo workout is ballpark correct but I'd love to hear what an elite racer might say.

Not sure what my FTP was at the time. But from 1B, on Edinburgh in 2020 I averaged about 128% of my current FTP, and according to Strava a PR on that segment.
Doubt I can hold that for over four minutes currently.

Edited by HdB
Add start group, for perspective

From my data https://www.strava.com/activities/6090409459/analysis/1046/1270

Edinburg 3:44 at 5,5w/kg

Smits bottom to top 8;34 at 4,3w/g but the hard part was 4 mins at 5.1 w/kg which isn't too much unfortunately I got stuck behind two guys who sat up at the top of the climb so I got dropped and had to chase back, but I shouldn't have dropped so these numbers are valid to still stay with $ group up smits

Little Chappies : 2:51 at 5.4 w/kg

Main Chappies : 5:37 at 4.8kg that's where I dropped, maybe if I didn't spend all this matches chasing back after Smits... who knows, probably wouldn't have made a big difference ;)

To stay with the winning after noordhoek group you can check josh's data : https://www.strava.com/activities/6091377185/analysis/4509/4984

5w/kg over little chappies and 5.7 over the main climb and then same over suikers... Good luck with that ;)

Edited by Jbr

9 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Smits bottom to top 8;34 at 4,3w/g but the hard part was 4 mins at 5.1 w/kg which isn't too much unfortunately I got stuck behind two guys who sat up at the top of the climb so I got dropped and had to chase back, but I shouldn't have dropped so these numbers are valid to still stay with $ group up smits

Main Chappies : 5:37 at 4.8kg that's where I dropped

Chappies overall you can check josh's data : https://www.strava.com/activities/6091377185/analysis/4509/4984

5w/kg over little chappies and 5.7 over the main climb and then same over suikers... Good luck with that ;)

Ja well that puts things into their proper perspective!!!!

I wonder how that translates for someone who is in 1B with an FTP of 3,5 watts per kg

37 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Main Chappies : 5:37 at 4.8kg that's where I dropped

Chappies overall you can check josh's data : https://www.strava.com/activities/6091377185/analysis/4509/4984

remember when I posted a few hundred pages back that I need to get stronger on hills, JBRs time up Edinburg vs mine proves the point. He was a full 3 minutes quicker than me up there, and this is when my legs were still fresh, I dont even want to subject myself to analysing Chappies or suikers.

Edit:

Ok, from 0km to top of Smits I'm 15minutes slower, top of Smits to Finish I fall back another 40 minutes.

Edited by ouzo

42 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Main Chappies : 5:37 at 4.8kg that's where I dropped, maybe if I didn't spend all this matches chasing back after Smits... who knows, probably wouldn't have made a big difference ;)

To stay with the winning after noordhoek group you can check josh's data : https://www.strava.com/activities/6091377185/analysis/4509/4984

Very impressive but these are numbers to ride 2h44 from the Elites? I think most okes on here are just aiming for a normal sub-3 from the alphabet soup groups...

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

Ja it is yassus... Based loosely on @Jbrs description of what he thinks he needs to stay with the bunch. 

Be interesting to see how this compares with someone's actual power file from a ctct where they kept up with their group. 

I have this planned for Tuesday next week .... I don't know if I can actually hold those levels.  I am able to hold threshold for an hour in a flat zwift race but I can't kick it up into the higher vo2max range and sustain that for any length longer than a roller so I get dropped as soon as there any hill worth the name. I know what I need to work on so.....

130 TSS is a helluva lot for a mamil but ....no pain no gain.

Sho... I did a 2h52min CTCT and kept with my group, pity I don't have a powermeter on my bike. Pretty sure I didn't have to hold anywhere near that power haha. But anyways, that's a lekker tough workout! If you can do that workout, then you'll easily sub 3 if your seeding and the weather plays along..

The Elites is tough to analyse. There they ride to break the elastic. They chill on the blue route and bigger teams dictate the pace. 

In 1A there aren't really teams and people ride for themselves so they ride within their abilities on the climbs. It's "easier" because it's a much more constant pace and also at the same time harder because you don't get the very low recovery zone where everyone just stares at each other and wait for a team to try spark a move.

37 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Very impressive but these are numbers to ride 2h44 from the Elites? I think most okes on here are just aiming for a normal sub-3 from the alphabet soup groups...

that's just alaphilippe doing this thing 🔥

My last Argus’s HR, easy to see that I came in undertrained and exhausted above 169 bpm for nearly 2 hours Back in the pre-gogga days, my fresh hold was 169 bpm. Power data was less interesting. It was a race of crazy cardiac drift. 🥵

BB27EBBB-EB6F-4934-BC81-5D8FBB4D3F51.jpeg

Edited by 'Dale

4 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

The Elites is tough to analyse. There they ride to break the elastic. They chill on the blue route and bigger teams dictate the pace. 

In 1A there aren't really teams and people ride for themselves so they ride within their abilities on the climbs. It's "easier" because it's a much more constant pace and also at the same time harder because you don't get the very low recovery zone where everyone just stares at each other and wait for a team to try spark a move.

our ride from 1A was consistent from the start with okes set decent pace on the climbs. There was an attack/ break up smits that didn't stick but def up pace overall. Chappies and suikers were no different.

comparing frenchies $ ride to our in 1A last year.

only 1min ahead at bottom of Smits

+2mins by bottom of chappies 

Pulled time back from chappies till the finish 

1 minute ago, babse said:

our ride from 1A was consistent from the start with okes set decent pace on the climbs. There was an attack/ break up smits that didn't stick but def up pace overall. Chappies and suikers were no different.

comparing frenchies $ ride to our in 1A last year.

only 1min ahead at bottom of Smits

+2mins by bottom of chappies 

Pulled time back from chappies till the finish 

Yeah I have actually started to feel a different "vibe" in Vets too. I mean you can do the same time from point A to B but one group does full on attacks and then Z2 and the other just a constant pace. One way burns matches till you pop the other just keeps you in the lactate factory zone.

The VO2max levels in Elite is just that much higher for longer cause that is how the elastic gets snapped and the top guys just has that ability to stay there longer. That's what I found challenging anyway and is probably just my perception because of my power profile (and weight 👀)

1 hour ago, Mamil said:

Ja well that puts things into their proper perspective!!!!

I wonder how that translates for someone who is in 1B with an FTP of 3,5 watts per kg

I had an FTP of 3.6W/Kg in October and these are my stats from @ (Pretty sure we did a similar time to 1B)

Edinburgh Dr = 4:15 at 124%
Smits = 9:17 at 107%
Smits Steep = 2:13 at 134%
Little Chappies = 3:01 at 122%

This is where I got dropped so will leave out the rest 😂😅