Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

I have not found cycling to mean that for me in a really really long time. To me, the sport of cycling is enjoyment. 

If people choose to enjoy cycling on e-bikes, then so be it. Trikes? That's cool too... Recumbents? Good to go there as well. 

'What it's intended to be'...... is a way of getting from A to B faster than walking. It has evolved into racing because humans are idiots and is evolving further into recreation areas where 'performance' means diddly squat.

If the sport only revolved around performance, the cycling industry would be in a very sad state. 

The rules are there and they are to be abided by, whatever you believe the reason to be. I also have no idea why one would want to discourage anyone from riding a bike how they want to ride a bike.

Or is this a simple case of 'if you're not doing it like me, you're doing it wrong'?

I just wonder with motors in ebikes becoming stronger & more efficient over time where the line will be drawn in future?

I guess we can agree we don't want people on motorbikes but how close will we get to that before organisers decide "OK this is now one evolutionary step too far"

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jackb said:

The Cycle tour needs to allow people that don't have a credit card to enter via eft or other means instead of "Only a credit card option." Surely there are other methods of paying for an entry?

you can pay via EFT. At the end of your basket there should be an option to "Pay later". You will receive a entry reference number and bank details via email. then you can EFT. Just might take a few days to be confirmed.

1 hour ago, Jackb said:

The Cycle tour needs to allow people that don't have a credit card to enter via eft or other means instead of "Only a credit card option." Surely there are other methods of paying for an entry?

I'm sure this means normal bank cards as well as long as it has a CVV number? Had no problem with my Cheque card

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

I just wonder with motors in ebikes becoming stronger & more efficient over time where the line will be drawn in future?

I guess we can agree we don't want people on motorbikes but how close will we get to that before organisers decide "OK this is now one evolutionary step too far"

They have just done that - at 3 hours 50 min.

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

ok so you're ok with doping then. I mean they're just having fun too

Would doping not fall under the rules I said should be abided by? I have no idea how you got there. All I disagreed with was what YOU believe to be the 'intended purpose' of cycling. 

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

Safety.

Huh? In context I'm asking Diesel how someone who rides for fun and within the rules is suddenly not cycling correctly because the intended purpose of cycling is performance.

How does somebody riding within the rules influence safety more than anyone else?

2 hours ago, Skubarra said:

But they have done that already, by stating the rules, the terms and conditions and time rulings? 

I did also state that those rules should be followed.

There is very very little room for interpretation

Just now, Jewbacca said:

You rode 2021?

So you fell under the 2021 rider entries open on Friday and not the General Entries banner....... 

ah ok makes sense

21 minutes ago, i24 said:

They have just done that - at 3 hours 50 min.

OK - I missed that

Will be interested to see if they ever actively enforce those rules, but fair enough, the rules are there.

1 minute ago, Jewbacca said:

Would doping not fall under the rules I said should be abided by? I have no idea how you got there. All I disagreed with was what YOU believe to be the 'intended purpose' of cycling. 

Huh? In context I'm asking Diesel how someone who rides for fun and within the rules is suddenly not cycling correctly because the intended purpose of cycling is performance.

How does somebody riding within the rules influence safety more than anyone else?

the amount of straws you clutch at is hysterical.????

"intended purpose of cycling" (got to love how you love placing words in others mouths to serve your need for an argument) replace with the intent of the event, being a timed event, requiring seeding to group people of similar performance seems to suggest that the event has a performance focus while providing a platform for people wanting to have fun whilst wearing fancy dress costumes or ride circus bikes. However the performance aspect under UCI rules makes it clear where the focus is. This is not my opinion, but a fact of the event. The rest of the stuff you need to deal with.

The introduction of the e-bike minimum time rule isn't because someone can't afford one, its been considered based on complaints of participants in various cycling events. 

So not are where your latest equality soap box was built Or are you just upset because when so many people ask you what your Argust time was you can't answer? What's your views on people who don't /can't get vaccinated?

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I guess there has to be a way of bringing the sport back to what its intended to be, an exercise in human performance so there has to be some form of rule that discourages the use of E-bikes for able bodied people. 

THIS is what you originally said. No mention of the event, but the sport. 

Had you said 'event' I would have had less to say, but you didn't. 

It's there in black and white. I disagree. The UCI is also the embodiment of racing, so by saying the UCI exists ipso facto cycling is about performance is nonsensical. 

But it's cool, you believe you bro. The above definitely indicates cycling as a whole, not CTCT as an event. 

No idea what equality soap box you're referring to either. I was never asking for equality. I merely disagreed with the above. I rode Argust a few weeks ago so why can't I answer? 

Edited by Jewbacca

I always laugh when guys think that when you ride an e-bike, that it's your only bike and you are too fat, unfit and lazy to ride anything else.

And I am so sorry that so many of you got hurt by ebikes after this year's CTCT, even if it's only your feelings.

25 minutes ago, Pieterlab1 said:

I always laugh when guys think that when you ride an e-bike, that it's your only bike and you are too fat, unfit and lazy to ride anything else.

And I am so sorry that so many of you got hurt by ebikes after this year's CTCT, even if it's only your feelings.

No one cares what time or is threatened by the eBikes. People are just worried about people doing 38km/h average while starting in 4F passing hundreds of people. There were 2 at the cycle tour that had bells and a hooter that were shouting at people to keep out the way. 

People are just surprised someone would use a category that was meant to allow more people to complete the cycle tour and then decide to break the law in order to race it. 

May as well just go drive the route in your car.

57 minutes ago, Pure Savage said:

No one cares what time or is threatened by the eBikes. People are just worried about people doing 38km/h average while starting in 4F passing hundreds of people. There were 2 at the cycle tour that had bells and a hooter that were shouting at people to keep out the way. 

People are just surprised someone would use a category that was meant to allow more people to complete the cycle tour and then decide to break the law in order to race it. 

Something about Piets hey...

1 hour ago, Pure Savage said:

So only two idiots made you this angry?

6 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

you can pay via EFT. At the end of your basket there should be an option to "Pay later". You will receive a entry reference number and bank details via email. then you can EFT. Just might take a few days to be confirmed.

Thanks. A tour official emailed and said only credit cards. I had to contact a friend to help me out as I don't have a credit card. It's rather pathetic that they haven't introduced an eft option. Nevertheless I've entered and hopefully will do my 21st tour.