Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

1 hour ago, AJB76 said:

He does. And sent it to me. But not of me going down unfortunately. Only after the fact.

Him and the dude in the white shirt actually came and helped me. 

The photographer: "I got you going down, but wont upload cos I don't wanna embarrass you"

Me: "Bro, I've pre-ordered the photo package. I've got min skaam. You make sure it's uploaded cos I want to see this". 

At the end of the day it's all good fun. Can't wait for next year. Will try stay upright more. 

biltong and winegums. The best of both. Salt and glucose lol.  ive tried it 4 times now on 100km + rides and it worked for me all those times haha

Get the mini ones from WW lol...its hard work chewing the big ones. I used to start hurting around noordhoek too. this year I literally did no training for a month leading up to CTCT AND i'm 10kg heavier. Last year I was at my race weight and just gooi'd gels and crap the whole way...still almost cramped at noordhoek. 

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, MORNE said:

biltong and winegums. The best of both. Salt and glucose lol.  ive tried it 4 times now on 100km + rides and it worked for me all those times haha

Get the mini ones from WW lol...its hard work chewing the big ones. I used to start hurting around noordhoek too. this year I literally did no training for a month leading up to CTCT AND i'm 10kg heavier. Last year I was at my race weight and just gooi'd gels and crap the whole way...still almost cramped at noordhoek. 

Or just get fitter... I did the whole race without breakfast on 2 x 500ml bottles of water and 2 x cadence gels.... Didn't get close to cramping, bonking or dedding once.

Nutrition is no substitute for hard work.... 

On really long races I love a good old fashioned chicken breast with salt and lemon. Smash one or two of those and some avo blended with honey. Fuel for days and you just need to drink water so your gut doesn't hate you. 

But CTCT is not long. You can train away the cramps by just being consistent.

10 hours ago, SoloCyclist said:

Thanks for the reply but it doesn't answer my question as it shows results

Prior to the race you get allocated a group based on your seeding, what seed puts you in what group ? I'm not too clued up on all these things

it depends but ideally you want to have an index lower than 25 to be in a group capable of sub threeing

Edited by DieselnDust

3 hours ago, AJB76 said:

Spot on brother. I was cramping hard all the way from the bottom. Then as I saw the togs, I thought it would be a good idea to get up out the saddle. As I stood up, booooooom, two concrete pillars. Legs locked up solid. 

Fortunately my face broke the fall and saved the bike, Which is good, cos you know....these SL7's.....

image_2021-10-14_144309.png

Eina, man, that is moertoe seer. What happened after your involuntarily dismount?

2 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Eina, man, that is moertoe seer. What happened after your involuntarily dismount?

Got back on, the guy in the white shirt pushed me a few meters up the hill and I got going again. The bleeding had stopped pretty much. A few km later on the descent, I spotted an ambo on the side. Pulled over and they cleaned the cut on my cheek and taped it together with "sterri-strips". Told me to get stiches from the doc at the finish. Rode on and finished strong. Pulled in at medical, got stitched up and then went and lay down at physio for a rub down. 

58 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

it depends by ideally yo want to have an index lower 25 to be in a group capable of sub threeing

My wife and myself would just like to start earlier

Her index went from 141 to 80 and mine went from 151 to 73 my goal is sub 4

So we still got tons of work to get anywhere close to 25......LOL

Edited by SoloCyclist

2 minutes ago, SoloCyclist said:

My wife and myself would just like to start earlier

Her index went from 141 to 80 and mine went from 151 to 73 my goal is sub 4

So we still got tons of work to get anywhere close to 25......LOL

Plenty of events to get the indexs down, gets easier once get into faster groups.

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

But it can break you. I put in 14-16 hours a week across swimming, running and cycling, so fitness and/or conditioning was not the cause of my cramps.

Only issue I battle with usually (especially during middle distance tri's) is needing the porta-loo. So this time at CTCT was the first time I tried switching to Maurten Drink Mix and I suspect that's where things went a bit wrong for me. Hydrogels are hypertonic in nature and if I look at my sweat rate during the event, it was greatly reduced. Almost didnt sweat at all and I'm usually a heavy sweater. So dehydration could likely be the underlying cause.

19 minutes ago, AJB76 said:

Got back on, the guy in the white shirt pushed me a few meters up the hill and I got going again. The bleeding had stopped pretty much. A few km later on the descent, I spotted an ambo on the side. Pulled over and they cleaned the cut on my cheek and taped it together with "sterri-strips". Told me to get stiches from the doc at the finish. Rode on and finished strong. Pulled in at medical, got stitched up and then went and lay down at physio for a rub down. 

Coolness, was just wondering about concussion. Hopefully, your arms could break some of the collision force.

Yeah it was actually quite a soft landing. Just bad luck touching down on my sunnies which cut me. Other than a scratched pair of Oakleys and a cut on the cheek (and a massive hematoma under the eye), I didnt have a mark on my, my helmet or my bike. 

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Or just get fitter... I did the whole race without breakfast on 2 x 500ml bottles of water and 2 x cadence gels.... Didn't get close to cramping, bonking or dedding once.

On really long races I love a good old fashioned chicken breast with salt and lemon. Smash one or two of those and some avo blended with honey. Fuel for days and you just need to drink water so your gut doesn't hate you. 

But CTCT is not long. You can train away the cramps by just being consistent.

I also came close to skipping breakfast on Sunday when the milk came out of the microwave ice cold, not once but twice. 
not the best time to find out the microwave makes all the right noises but does not have nuclear power. :)

but I did discover you can make pronutro with hot water. 

28 minutes ago, AJB76 said:

But it can break you. I put in 14-16 hours a week across swimming, running and cycling, so fitness and/or conditioning was not the cause of my cramps.

Only issue I battle with usually (especially during middle distance tri's) is needing the porta-loo. So this time at CTCT was the first time I tried switching to Maurten Drink Mix and I suspect that's where things went a bit wrong for me. Hydrogels are hypertonic in nature and if I look at my sweat rate during the event, it was greatly reduced. Almost didnt sweat at all and I'm usually a heavy sweater. So dehydration could likely be the underlying cause.

I must be honest and say I have no idea what Maurten drink mix is, no idea what hydrogels are or what hypertonic means and no idea how one measures their sweat rate.

A well conditioned person should comfortably be able to ride ctct on a regular bicycle in well under 4 hours (I'd say under 3:30 if I'm being honest) without cramping. There are no ifs and buts about that. I did it in 3:45 from 5F wearing baggies, a t-shirt, on a tiny 20inch wheel bike with mtb tires on it and 145mm crank arms.

As an aside I do not regard myself as a well conditioned person and am in no way an athlete of any kind. 

I'm also definitely not attacking you, I've cramped so badly at Peninsula Marathon it took me nearly an hour to do the last 6km after rolling around in the gutter for 10 minutes trying not to poop my pants why both hamstrings were tighter than bow strings. I blame the fact that I went out WAY too hard for my ability at the time and got sniped. 

It's rad that you can laugh about it and are ok. My comment was also more aimed at Morne as he is moaning he is 10kg overweight and unfit.. pffft.

I would never mess with you slummies okes! More importantly, I hope you didn't scratch or crack the SL7!

1 minute ago, ouzo said:

I also came close to skipping breakfast on Sunday when the milk came out of the microwave ice cold, not once but twice. 
not the best time to find out the microwave makes all the right noises but does not have nuclear power. :)

but I did discover you can make pronutro with hot water. 

I heard the microwave has subsequently been replaced with one that hums, ting tings, spins AND makes things warm! ????

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I hope you didn't scratch or crack the SL7!

Nope, it's all good, other than the "defects" the manufacturer designed into it LOL. (I assume you know about the recall).

8 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I would never mess with you slummies okes!

LMAO. Nooit, we're peaceful okies man. 

25 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I must be honest and say I have no idea what Maurten drink mix is, no idea what hydrogels are or what hypertonic means and no idea how one measures their sweat rate.

A well conditioned person should comfortably be able to ride ctct on a regular bicycle in well under 4 hours (I'd say under 3:30 if I'm being honest) without cramping. There are no ifs and buts about that. I did it in 3:45 from 5F wearing baggies, a t-shirt, on a tiny 20inch wheel bike with mtb tires on it and 145mm crank arms.

As an aside I do not regard myself as a well conditioned person and am in no way an athlete of any kind. 

I'm also definitely not attacking you, I've cramped so badly at Peninsula Marathon it took me nearly an hour to do the last 6km after rolling around in the gutter for 10 minutes trying not to poop my pants why both hamstrings were tighter than bow strings. I blame the fact that I went out WAY too hard for my ability at the time and got sniped. 

It's rad that you can laugh about it and are ok. My comment was also more aimed at Morne as he is moaning he is 10kg overweight and unfit.. pffft.

I would never mess with you slummies okes! More importantly, I hope you didn't scratch or crack the SL7!

says the guy that runs 100's of kms LOL. and compared to last year...I am unfit. Last year by this time...before I got bike jacked I was avarging 200km a month..and I only rode on weekends. This year I think Im probably at max 900km for the year haha (including the 3 x 100km events I did) - Biltong and winegums..i'm telling you.  But I do eat healthy in general  and drink lots of water. You cant make up for bad diet a week beforehand.

gels don't work for me. I spend 10km gagging on the sticky slime left over in my gullet.  

EDIT: and 'well conditioned' is such a personal trainer phrase. fark. I used to 'well condition' my metal hair lol. these days I'm comfortable with who and what my mildly active dadbod entails????

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, AJB76 said:

Cramp is caused by fatique or overexertion. The fittest bra can cramp if fatigued. One can often see Worldtour professionals cramp deep into week 3 of the Grand Tours.