Cape Town Cycle Tour 2022

Pure Savage

11 minutes ago, MORNE said:

On a slightly different note…

I was amazed again yesterday how many high value modern bikes i heard, never mind saw. Bikes chewing up their drivetrains going up smits, chappies and suikerbos. At one stage a AXS equiped bike passed us sounding like his chain, cassette and chainrings were busy with the Spanish inquisition. All the money and no clue. at least then pay a bikeshop to sort it out before you go murder your parts on a 109km wet ride. This should be a crime lol

it's just what eTap does.... When you see a rider spining after his chain dropped while changing blades, you know he's probably using eTap

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Jbr said:

My 530 said 200m after the ride. But almost nothing works on that piece of crap

Yes but yours is probably taking into account that you are going so fast that you must obviously be flying or something. 

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

it's just what eTap does.... When you see a rider spining after his chain dropped while changing blades, you know he's probably using eTap

I get that, i mean that still happens to plenty of guys with mechanical setups. Im talking about groupsets sounding like they get dipped in oil and then shaken in bags of sand and then go race lol

9 hours ago, porqui said:

Wettest ever and I've done many.

Never ever seen soooo many punctures ???

And never seen so many sunglasses on the deck.

Happy I did it but it took some persuasion.

And broken and abandoned chains. Must have seen at least 4 in the middle of the road

Oh, and dead flattened rats, yugh! All over

55 minutes ago, MORNE said:

On a slightly different note…

I was amazed again yesterday how many high value modern bikes i heard, never mind saw. Bikes chewing up their drivetrains going up smits, chappies and suikerbos. At one stage a AXS equiped bike passed us sounding like his chain, cassette and chainrings were busy with the Spanish inquisition. All the money and no clue. at least then pay a bikeshop to sort it out before you go murder your parts on a 109km wet ride. This should be a crime lol

LOTS of chains crying for some lube from Smitswinkel ....

At Houtbay I actually offered a rider to lube his bike chain .... bike less than a year old, but he was grinding that dry chain to bits .... he declined the offer ....

I CAN confirm that SQUIRT lasted through those conditions .  :clap:

2 hours ago, MORNE said:

Thats usually Murphy preaching the law to the people who ride in the gutters or pass on the left lol.
We saw a few of those too, especially on m3 and then obviously again at ocean view. I told my wife to ride just to the left of the white line on those bits. A metro cop came and chased a bunch of kids away that swarmed a guy like a pack of hyenas while he was trying to fix a puncture right at ocean view haha.

I will admit to riding on the side .... even passing (slowly) a few people on the left on the M5..... 

EDIT .... apparently we were on the M3 in that rain .... :P

At one point I simply did not know what to do anymore .....

Slow riders in both lanes.

slightly faster riders snaking through them ....

Few "very late starting" second lappers coming through like the blue light brigade shouting at all and sundry .... 

I did what I could to stay out of that.  After the M5 I would follow a group for a while, then when safe pass on the right, get some clean air and slowly catch the next group.

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

I get that, i mean that still happens to plenty of guys with mechanical setups. Im talking about groupsets sounding like they get dipped in oil and then shaken in bags of sand and then go race lol

That’s because okes use oil….bad idea for a wet race. Hot dip wax all the way. Keeps the water out of the chain.

11 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

I'm just going to offer this advice without naming and shaming....

When washing your bibs, make sure you put them through a rinse cycle because when they get wet like today we can all see who has FOMO with the OMO...

Then o top it all off, julle poep op die fiets and blaas borrels agterkant uit....🤢

🤣 Was this the guy on Suikerbossie? I remember someone making the comment - "If you thought it was subtle... It wasnt!" Almost rolled my bike laughing 😆

2 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

That’s because okes use oil….bad idea for a wet race. Hot dip wax all the way. Keeps the water out of the chain.

I always use wax..but i only ever really ride in the dry.
As per @Wannabe advice i cleaned our drivetrains from the wax and used white lightning wet lube which is the consistency of sticky motor oil. A drop per link and wiped the rest. Both bikes chains were still perfectly clean and silent at the end and we got blasted with rain all the way to simonstown. I really just think people use q20 or wd40 lol, or never use anything even on their 150k bikes.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

LOTS of chains crying for some lube from Smitswinkel ....

At Houtbay I actually offered a rider to lube his bike chain .... bike less than a year old, but he was grinding that dry chain to bits .... he declined the offer ....

I CAN confirm that SQUIRT lasted through those conditions .  :clap:

I use Smoove, was a bit nervous but the drivetrain performed flawlessly yesterday 

20 minutes ago, 475 said:

🤣 Was this the guy on Suikerbossie? I remember someone making the comment - "If you thought it was subtle... It wasnt!" Almost rolled my bike laughing 😆

This was & group🤣

24 minutes ago, MORNE said:

I always use wax..but i only ever really ride in the dry.
As per @Wannabe advice i cleaned our drivetrains from the wax and used white lightning wet lube which is the consistency of sticky motor oil. A drop per link and wiped the rest. Both bikes chains were still perfectly clean and silent at the end and we got blasted with rain all the way to simonstown. I really just think people use q20 or wd40 lol, or never use anything even on their 150k bikes.

Glad to be of some help.

Now go and clean that chain again, and apply your "dry weather lube" before you go out. It attracts dirt and dust, and you don't want grinding paste on your chain.