Matt Beers and Jordan Sarrou win 2021 Absa Cape Epic

News bot

South African Marathon Champion Matt Beers and French mountain biker Jordan Sarrou – the 2020 cross-country World Champion – won the 2021 Absa Cape Epic today at Val de Vie. In doing so, Beers becomes the first South African winner of the men’s event since the late Burry Stander, while Sarrou is the first-ever French winner of the Elite men’s category.

View full article

17 minutes ago, DJuice said:

How about an article about every day working hero’s.

Article about Bikehub members, @babse.

Yeah that would be nice. The amateurs, paying their own way and completing the Epic is worth a lot more than the pro’s.

59 minutes ago, W Smith said:

Being strong and winning one of the top races in the world and you want to watch the back markers. Really ? What is it about doppies that you find fascinating? 

The racing and tactics IS good to watch, and should be the emphasis on race day.

But hearing the accounts of the privateers is another chapter I would appreciate.  The rider that made it back just before the cut off ... do any of these riders actually service their own bikes, as the commentators eluded to today ....

24 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Matt works every day does he not? Same as everyone in that article?

Indeed he does, working harder than the average Bikehub member.

Congrats to Matt and yourself, for identifying Matt, mentoring him…first saffa after Burry.

My comment was not to be disrespectfull, infact was thinking why not a article about the work yourself, Jeroen and Science2Sport are doing.

Struggle to do 5hours of training a week, just amazed by Dr Uria.

Remember fondly of my ride with you and even a new to cycling Dr Postumas, even the highs he is reaching, in total awe, getting up at 3am to hit the trainer, this is what I was after.

To kick myself in the ass for not getting up at 5am..

Now get Alan and Matt together again, sponsered by a big corporate SA, and go and win Epic by all SAFA team.

Edited by DJuice
Spelling

11 minutes ago, DJuice said:

Indeed he does, working harder than the average Bikehub member.

Congrats to Matt and yourself, for identifying Matt, mentoring him…first saffa after Burry.

My comment was not to be disrespectfull, infact was thinking why not a article about the work yourself, Jeroen and Science2Sport are doing.

Struggle to do 5hours of training a week, just amazed by Dr Uria.

Remember fondly of my ride with you and even a new to cycling Dr Postumas, even the highs he is reaching, in total awe, getting up at 3am to hit the trainer, this is what I was after.

To kick myself in the ass for not getting up at 5am..

Now get Alan and Matt together again, sponsered by a big corporate SA, and go and win Epic by all SAFA team.

I was just pulling your leg bud. I get what you were saying/requesting.

in fairness to the people doing this article it’s probably a lot quicker and easier to get a winning article like this than get hold of the average rider and do a more detailed article. 

Brilliant to see a Saffa on the top step at the Epic. 

Hoping he lands that world pro team contract very soon. He has smoked some of the best marathon bikers in the world. Can't see why he shouldn't be on the World Marathon Series against these okes every other week. 

I'm sure Jordan will be the first to write his testimonial letter ????

3 minutes ago, babse said:

Brilliant to see a Saffa on the top step at the Epic. 

Hoping he lands that world pro team contract very soon. He has smoked some of the best marathon bikers in the world. Can't see why he shouldn't be on the World Marathon Series against these okes every other week. 

I'm sure Jordan will be the first to write his testimonial letter ????

Looking forward to your race report ????

2 hours ago, W Smith said:

Being strong and winning one of the top races in the world and you want to watch the back markers. Really ? What is it about doppies that you find fascinating? 

*toppie

Seraj ain’t no back marker, he ain’t no toppie (some of my fellow IRL toppies may even deal a surprise).  He and Etnard achieved a great result.  Much much respect!!

Edited by justinafrika

Nicely detailed race report and visuals. Would also like to read some back marker accounts at some point. 
But let's also put it in perspective, this is a race report generated by Cape Epic's media office on the day under deadline pressures, with images.
By default on the day's finish it will be the sharp end, same as TdF, Dakar Rally etc..
Later in the week it would be nice to see some material on the rest of the field, in my experience there often is. Through Cape Epic's media, blog posts and general press.