Cracking rims (Specialized)

Super Sywurm

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

My 2 dead presidents: the mech who built the wheels over tensioned it. Wheels only crack like that if the load are too much ????

Then they must have a 50kg weight limit?

The over tensioned spokes is my conclusion as well.  I don't think the wheels are bad, maybe it's just the built quality that is sub standard.

for reference. I have a set of Hope 20Five/Rs4 pro wheels and broke a spoke at the CTCT. Took them to Knipe Racing and it turns out the wheels were so over tensioned they couldn't go anymore. They replaced some nipples and had to put some teflon grease and re-tentioned the wheels for me. They are now perfect.

moral of the story... Factory built wheels are dog crap...even from HOPE.

Hand built wheels ftw. 

2 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

The route, nothing more than some XC ridingScreenshot_20211029_183650_com.strava.jpg.66a0468646797db9cf5084a2a9312122.jpg

Ja, I'd be somewhat miffed too.

My wheels cracked after around 9000 odd km's of hard riding. I hope you come right with Spez. I ride a camber and so far I am very happy with them.

My rear wheel ended up like this, but 9000 odd kays on them and that includes some very spicy riding over all manner of rocks, drops, jumps including plenty gap jump cases etc.

GR1IFEdanLbxfTnG_wy79zI_nUO5v8vCTS9CyQFP5zPBVy-SdOZMMGRC6PdNROzEg6W0wlvPWko9YS_KSzK_eyDdQBINEcS4S6vv3_rDLugLPDE96bc-A6CrtYWlEItzwsMj9V8KuUndRnv9mjCNZiJ3pdzWy3mI5N8PQNTOY1PhWxrNsRm460Mwo_5d_qMV3vI5fFcuTfPdfBYuoyam_HyMITO17kSafdDB5LpRwfrhnIDFaXC16vYkaw2qRUUjZIOQiN3j2vRSPCzO2mXvO4OtmeIgvvu-d75EPfZzL6R9QQbqf2aSM6JRWK6LESU0CpqEHWEPCraQKwOLep3S4d1HjIMRwNV_tVXZdMVLIyvR9h7Wb-0Wp-zP4XXlwG9MFEWzlMiAZh6VdEzYCNhsxsDkVdZFqvo_3shX20Qgo4b-xeQv0dXOp_3B6Zsa-wWtcnuRbnhKFEXf87KlSAZ1OWQd7TmXwqA0WR8azDU9akBJmGU7sUp7OW-p0R5KHkEdhcRPtI_snUNjKpfdfXhP3O3-JGC1s2FtN1eQ-rvoDKBpv1rNJOWTff2LFQZd2cf-Lml_FGm7TmBXNczeDDIjlH4F8dCZMyCmpbk2LEbViXVp7lwLfYySkld2RMWwRo2Qyb0ElQE7X2wZzhYAfZ08kVLj6cViafDiqHRTJ21xsr4Ul87uTbJIo2MtysxrtUzsVNKuJKhJ14GdU6FY2n6_OXJ54Q=w1421-h799-no?authuser=0

1 minute ago, Robbie Stewart said:

My rear wheel ended up like this, but 9000 odd kays on them and that includes some very spicy riding over all manner of rocks, drops, jumps including plenty gap jump cases etc.

GR1IFEdanLbxfTnG_wy79zI_nUO5v8vCTS9CyQFP5zPBVy-SdOZMMGRC6PdNROzEg6W0wlvPWko9YS_KSzK_eyDdQBINEcS4S6vv3_rDLugLPDE96bc-A6CrtYWlEItzwsMj9V8KuUndRnv9mjCNZiJ3pdzWy3mI5N8PQNTOY1PhWxrNsRm460Mwo_5d_qMV3vI5fFcuTfPdfBYuoyam_HyMITO17kSafdDB5LpRwfrhnIDFaXC16vYkaw2qRUUjZIOQiN3j2vRSPCzO2mXvO4OtmeIgvvu-d75EPfZzL6R9QQbqf2aSM6JRWK6LESU0CpqEHWEPCraQKwOLep3S4d1HjIMRwNV_tVXZdMVLIyvR9h7Wb-0Wp-zP4XXlwG9MFEWzlMiAZh6VdEzYCNhsxsDkVdZFqvo_3shX20Qgo4b-xeQv0dXOp_3B6Zsa-wWtcnuRbnhKFEXf87KlSAZ1OWQd7TmXwqA0WR8azDU9akBJmGU7sUp7OW-p0R5KHkEdhcRPtI_snUNjKpfdfXhP3O3-JGC1s2FtN1eQ-rvoDKBpv1rNJOWTff2LFQZd2cf-Lml_FGm7TmBXNczeDDIjlH4F8dCZMyCmpbk2LEbViXVp7lwLfYySkld2RMWwRo2Qyb0ElQE7X2wZzhYAfZ08kVLj6cViafDiqHRTJ21xsr4Ul87uTbJIo2MtysxrtUzsVNKuJKhJ14GdU6FY2n6_OXJ54Q=w1421-h799-no?authuser=0

manuals?

I have had Bonti Wheels do something similar before a couple of years back.....it happens with machine built wheels if things are not 100%. That is where good product support becomes essential.

1441641475_2012-07-2423_00_56.jpg.f3b94b03b19fe5212c8f65cc1ec6173b.jpg

Same thing happened to my Shimano rear wheel (on a Tarmac) after 2 weeks of riding. 

Was replaced very quickly by Shimano, but with a different model and different colour scheme. 

I was told to accept as is. 

Rims that crack are due to either, or combination of, material defect, over tensioned spokes or some heavy hits while riding.

Most brands cover this kind of thing as a regular warranty claim.

I've helped customers with Spank, Raceface and Stan's claims lately.

You can't always control the quality of the parts, but you can invest in the services of a good wheel builder :)

3 hours ago, nick_the_wheelbuilder said:

Rims that crack are due to either, or combination of, material defect, over tensioned spokes or some heavy hits while riding.

Most brands cover this kind of thing as a regular warranty claim.

I've helped customers with Spank, Raceface and Stan's claims lately.

You can't always control the quality of the parts, but you can invest in the services of a good wheel builder :)

I asume this rim cracked due to over tensioned spokes.  It's not an expensive set, but I don't think the rims are bad quality.  Lets call them "excellent entry level wheels".

I raced them on Saterday, Sunday and Monday.  With the cracks, they felt good.  

On 10/29/2021 at 9:35 PM, Hairy said:

I have had Bonti Wheels do something similar before a couple of years back.....it happens with machine built wheels if things are not 100%. That is where good product support becomes essential.

1441641475_2012-07-2423_00_56.jpg.f3b94b03b19fe5212c8f65cc1ec6173b.jpg

No pink circle/skrawl? You've changed, who are you even?

12 hours ago, Super Sywurm said:

I asume this rim cracked due to over tensioned spokes.  It's not an expensive set, but I don't think the rims are bad quality.  Lets call them "excellent entry level wheels".

I raced them on Saterday, Sunday and Monday.  With the cracks, they felt good.  

Please just keep an eye on it and make sure it does not worsen. With cracks longer is not better. If you have cracks all round and one or two pull through on a ride it may give you a sudden stop.

Based on your weight and the cracks I agree with you. Spokes were over-tightened.

38 minutes ago, Gerhard765 said:

Please just keep an eye on it and make sure it does not worsen. With cracks longer is not better. If you have cracks all round and one or two pull through on a ride it may give you a sudden stop.

Based on your weight and the cracks I agree with you. Spokes were over-tightened.

I am just waiting for a temporary replacement set from the shop.

• 2 weeks later...