Battling to view bikes Iisted for sale?

Dirk Stoffberg

I understand the times with so many scams and fraudsters around but I seem to be unable to view a bike that I`m interested in buying.

Looking to purchase a bike for myself and my wife.

I have just purchased a bike for my wife through through Steven spw Williams with payment done this morning, absolute pleasure dealing with Steven. I am however battling to get a deal done for a bike I am interested in.

So far, 2 separate sellers seem unwilling?

- Seller doesn`t give a viewing address when enquiring.

- Seller stops communicating on message even after I provide my cell number and business email.

- Seller doesnt give a contact number after request.

What gives? Am I missing something here?

Even with the pictures in the advert I would still like to view the bike and see everything is 100%

I am also happy to proceed with bikepay so the question is, is wanting to view the bike a big nono?

Are there any other ways or things I can do to abate any fears from the seller when wanting to view the bike?

Edited by Dirk Stoffberg

1stly, Welcome to Le Hub.

2ndly, Well done on securing a bike for your Mrs.

3rdly, Not sure what the issue is, I understand a few people are very skeptical about giving out their address to total strangers, Perhaps offer to meet at your nearest LBS or cop shop as that may make them feel more comfi. If you've only just registered an account and are now messaging people regarding their ads, I can understand why some can be very weary.

Le Hub is a wonderful place with loads of great people but there have been many a scam happen and this is the unfortunate reality and as said before, People may be a tad skeptical.

Good Luck in your search for your 2nd wife  bike.

19 minutes ago, Dirk Stoffberg said:

I understand the times with so many scams and fraudsters around but I seem to be unable to view a bike that I`m interested in buying.

Looking to purchase a bike for myself and my wife.

I have just purchased a bike for my wife through through Steven spw Williams with payment done this morning, absolute pleasure dealing with Steven. I am however battling to get a deal done for a bike I am interested in.

So far, 2 separate sellers seem unwilling?

- Seller doesn`t give a viewing address when enquiring.

- Seller stops communicating on message even after I provide my cell number and business email.

- Seller doesnt give a contact number after request.

What gives? Am I missing something here?

Even with the pictures in the advert I would still like to view the bike and see everything is 100%

I am also happy to proceed with bikepay so the question is, is wanting to view the bike a big nono?

Are there any other ways or things I can do to abate any fears from the seller when wanting to view the bike?

I'm bought a lot of stuff from the hub and never viewed the item before.  Communicating directly and requesting as much as possible photos is key for me.  From photos you should be able to tell if its crap or not.  I'm not saying you should not view before, but I will only if say more than R10k is involved.

11 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

1stly, Welcome to Le Hub.

2ndly, Well done on securing a bike for your Mrs.

3rdly, Not sure what the issue is, I understand a few people are very skeptical about giving out their address to total strangers, Perhaps offer to meet at your nearest LBS or cop shop as that may make them feel more comfi. If you've only just registered an account and are now messaging people regarding their ads, I can understand why some can be very weary.

Le Hub is a wonderful place with loads of great people but there have been many a scam happen and this is the unfortunate reality and as said before, People may be a tad skeptical.

Good Luck in your search for your 2nd wife  bike.

Thank you for the welcome, appreciate the knowledge and advice shared on this forum.

By the way :) I am now with my second wife and thankful for it.

19 minutes ago, rorydewet said:

in my view and experience if something doesnt gel walk away

not saying its a scam or anything but if the person selling doesnt reply its best to find another bike

Agreed strongly... If they are not happy talking about the bike who knows what is going on with it. You are buying something with potential issues in so many places, you really want to trust the person you are buying it from. Good luck with your search :) and welcome to Bikehub

I agree, if the seller does not accommodate your request to inspect the bike, walk away and look for a alternative.

rather wait for a while till something you want comes along and you are satisfied with the offering, pickings are slim and  expensive right now, but something should pop up along the way

1 hour ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Agreed strongly... If they are not happy talking about the bike who knows what is going on with it. You are buying something with potential issues in so many places, you really want to trust the person you are buying it from. Good luck with your search :) and welcome to Bikehub

Sid thank you, if I may ask what secondhand bike would you recommend for a 50 year old 178cm height? I have been advised on going for a medium frame and 29" wheels.

My budget is under R10k.

Normal cross country trails and nothing too technical.

Would like it to hold good resale value in the event of upgrading at a later stage.

Edited by Dirk Stoffberg

1 minute ago, Dirk Stoffberg said:

Sid what secondhand bike would you recommend for a 50 year old 178cm height? I have been advised on going for a medium frame and 29" wheels.

My budget is under R10k.

Unfortunately I am a roadie with a slight gravel inclination so I am really not sure what MTB options are best. In terms of resale, I would get a carbon size M hardtail mtb, you will probably only get alloy wheels at that price. Personally I would go for an 11 speed bike instead of a low end 12 speed groupset as replacing parts off bikehub if necessary will be cheaper. I am sure many of the MTB gurus can help you more than I can though

1 minute ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Unfortunately I am a roadie with a slight gravel inclination so I am really not sure what MTB options are best. In terms of resale, I would get a carbon size M hardtail mtb, you will probably only get alloy wheels at that price. Personally I would go for an 11 speed bike instead of a low end 12 speed groupset as replacing parts off bikehub if necessary will be cheaper. I am sure many of the MTB gurus can help you more than I can though

Thanks for your advice, appreciated.

1 hour ago, rorydewet said:

in my view and experience if something doesnt gel walk away

not saying its a scam or anything but if the person selling doesnt reply its best to find another bike

100% this

1 minute ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Carbon under 10k will be hard to find and if one does pop up it will probably be sold in a few min.

Just now, Barry said:

Carbon under 10k will be hard to find and if one does pop up it will probably be sold in a few min.

I see. Never mind then! 

1 hour ago, Dirk Stoffberg said:

Sid thank you, if I may ask what secondhand bike would you recommend for a 50 year old 178cm height? I have been advised on going for a medium frame and 29" wheels.

My budget is under R10k.

Normal cross country trails and nothing too technical.

Would like it to hold good resale value in the event of upgrading at a later stage.

With that budget you'd be better off getting a relatively new, good alloy hardtail than an old beat up carbon frame. Something with an air fork and 1x11 or 1x12 and hydraulic disc brakes. Already tubeless would be great and ask for cages and pedals to be included, will save you a bit

2 hours ago, Sid the Sloth said:

Why unfortunately? FORTUNATELY.