Absa Cape Epic 2022

JohanDiv

I wonder how long it will take for the 2023 Epic entries to get sold out. I’m not sure the demand is what it used to be. I see this year’s race register only had 557 teams. From memory, I believe that in previous years entries were capped at 600 teams, although there were definitely years with more than 600 teams.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

The YouTube feed now has a 6 minutes highlights reel of the final day.

No interviews

Nice insert of when SCR see the time out and know they won.  The dad joins them and the champagne is sprayed.

I see we made the reel at 2:54 haha. They interviewed us and many others today. Maybe still editing for a later video.

29 minutes ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

I wonder how long it will take for the 2023 Epic entries to get sold out. I’m not sure the demand is what it used to be. I see this year’s race register only had 557 teams. From memory, I believe that in previous years entries were capped at 600 teams, although there were definitely years with more than 600 teams.

557 registered and 526 started or thereabouts

6 hours ago, love2fly said:

My point is I seldom need a plug and they dry out from old age....kind of like the rider... 😃 

And thus my question ... 😋

When are the plugs too old and dry to be used ...

PS . I do understand that the plugs are a temporary fix, and a mushroom plug from the inside should be used once back at the workshop

For those who have done multiple Cape Epics how does this one compare?

Stage 1 and 2 looked particularly brutal.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

And thus my question ... 😋

When are the plugs too old and dry to be used ...

PS . I do understand that the plugs are a temporary fix, and a mushroom plug from the inside should be used once back at the workshop

In many years of riding tubeless tires I've never considered plugs 'temporary', on the rare occasion they don't hold pressure or fall out I've made another plan. Otherwise they stay in for the life of the tire!

Just me?

4 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

In many years of riding tubeless tires I've never considered plugs 'temporary', on the rare occasion they don't hold pressure or fall out I've made another plan. Otherwise they stay in for the life of the tire!

Just me?

Not just you, me and thousands of motorists too 

I must have special plugs because they outlast my tyres 

9 hours ago, WIPEOUT 1000 said:

The demand is high as always, will be sold out in seconds

3 hours ago, Mountain Goat said:

For those who have done multiple Cape Epics how does this one compare?

Stage 1 and 2 looked particularly brutal.

Spoke to a few folks who have done many,

including the some or all of the first 5,…. Toughest since 2008 and comparable to 2012. Most said it was due to the heat at the prologue and stage1 and the headwind  toward the end of stage 2. The rollers killer many legs and cut off was extended to 19:00. 
after stage 1 many were enquiring about drips at the medics tent.

that said it’s also hard to really quantify toughness of the epic. People  tend to look at distance and climbing and go “oh wow that’s hard/easy” while not considering the terrain. Use 2018 route as an example only 13500m ascent but that doesn’t talk to the more than 100km of sand the route went through . It’s always tough but I think 2022 was the toughest since 2008 for various reasons. Just looking at the drop out %

Edited by DieselnDust

16 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

including the some or all of the first 5,…. Toughest since 2008 and comparable to 2012. Most said it was due to the heat at the prologue and stage1 and the headwind  toward the end of stage 2. The rollers killer many legs and cut off was extended to 19:00. 

Snip

It’s always tough but I think 2022 was the toughest since 2008 for various reasons. Just looking at the drop out %

In terms of teams finishing yesterday vs prologue - about 30% drop out.
520 down to 359

(That's teams. I didn't count individual finishers)

23 minutes ago, splat said:

520 down to 359

Slightly more than 520 started prologue but we had drop outs on that day. Looks like about 6 or 7 teams didn’t start or complete the course on Sunday 

Edited by DieselnDust

On 3/24/2022 at 4:14 PM, DieselnDust said:

a well maintained one is best. New pawls in a pawl system is probably prudent. Star ractchet is pretty much bullet proof as long as its not a 2020 EXP version.

Ya, 'recently serviced" is a euphemism, for 'at risk of failure" in my book. Well maintained and running well for many weeks before the event is probably what's required. A brand new bike is also not always the answer, especially since OE hubs and wheels are often low end on the 'comp" type models some people are on. The shite that came on my Spesh spring to mind.

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

that said it’s also hard to really quantify toughness of the epic. People  tend to look at distance and climbing and go “oh wow that’s hard/easy” while not considering the terrain. Use 2018 route as an example only 13500m ascent but that doesn’t talk to the more than 100km of sand the route went through . It’s always tough but I think 2022 was the toughest since 2008 for various reasons. Just looking at the drop out %

The day I go, I know I will suffer. But the suffering I do on the couch with fomo I really believe is much worse so am building for 2024 all things going well🙏🏾

20 minutes ago, Headshot said:

Ya, 'recently serviced" is a euphemism, for 'at risk of failure" in my book. Well maintained and running well for many weeks before the event is probably what's required. A brand new bike is also not always the answer, especially since OE hubs and wheels are often low end on the 'comp" type models some people are on. The shite that came on my Spesh spring to mind.

I never ever service a bike just before a big race. I always do it a month before and then do at least 2 decent rides before the big race. New bikes? My cousin did Epic many years ago. He and his mate bought their new bikes for the Epic months before and did all their Epic training on them to get used to them and iron out all the bad parts.

On a different note: I wonder how many bikes were stolen in Stellies this week from unsuspecting Epic riders? I saw a very dodgy character with 2 Cannondales last night in Stellies.

Edited by dev null

2 hours ago, splat said:

520 down to 359

How many out due to Covid?