Overpricing…

OVERDRIVE

17 minutes ago, babse said:

Is woolies really more expensive than other retailers though 

Yes, they are.

As long as people shop there, and pay the higher prices, they can keep charging the same higher prices.

The same with Specialized; they have a market willing to buy their product. As long as that market is buying the product, they will keep selling it.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's something ive seen in recent years that seems consistent across atleast 4 major brands in RSA 

40k dualies for enduro trail vs 80k bikes for the same thing offer very little improvement in ride quality. Literally how you feel when riding the bike.

But as soon as you go to the 100/110/120k mark then it suddenly "feels" drastically different, even though the frame is essentially exactly the same thing.

Over priced maybe , but i think the mid to high range is where the most gouging is happening 

14 minutes ago, babse said:

Is woolies really more expensive than other retailers though 

People love saying so…and yes if you only look at certain things - they are. People love doing the basket test, but put pnp house brand tuna in there vs ww’s which is john west quality lol. Like everything in the pre-made isles or the organic meats…or chippie or sweety corner. Discovery shafts you too if you buy that stuff…so R25 for a pack of gummies is not where the hurt stops.

But today I went to go buy milk, bread and cheese at WW, saw the price for 6 boxes of milk and literally said WTF..no way, it was 15% cheaper last week. So i didnt buy it…drove to PnP, same…R85 fir 6, checkers house brand…82 for 6..on special, food lovers, same. Parpalat R107 for 6. Then realised…WW at R88 for 6 is fine, a loaf of crap sasco sam costs R20 anyway…ill pay 21 for the nice stuff thanks. And on Discovery you get 25% back anyway…50% if you are preggos lol ( who said babies cost money?😅).

900g chedder will cost you R130+ almost everywhere now, i just wait for the mid month 2 for R180 at WW, same price everywhere lol xcept if you eat that nasty ladysmith crap they sell at foodlovers.
You can still buy smart at WW, and yes, their fruit and veg puts other places to shame when it comes to taste and longevity. WW brand cleaning agents like dishwashing tablets etc are WAY cheaper than Finish and the likes for example.
Ppl are just ignorant. Ive bought jungle oats at ww for R25 n box when its R39 at PnP.  Just be smart and know who has what on special when imo. And abuse rewards everywhere.

7 hours ago, Shaheedalex said:

Lets get back to Biking overpricing and how we are feeding this ever growing beast that clearly has us hostage with crazy pricing

Welllll ....

Sure, yes, Specialize has some top end bikes ... from a $1k balance bike through to the SL Levo ....

BUT ...

Their shoes are not over priced, in fact cheaper than a pair of NewBalanc tekkies.

Their leg.warmers are cheaper than FirstAccent ....

The entry level Levo was only a bit more expensive than the equivalent Giant Trance E .... and no more expensive than the Scott ebike .... going back to when I bought.

Their tyres are regularly cheaper than Maxxis ....

Like Woolies .... are they truly more expensive ?

No, I dont own a Specialized bike .... 

Edited by ChrisF

9 hours ago, MORNE said:

People love saying so…and yes if you only look at certain things - they are. People love doing the basket test, but put pnp house brand tuna in there vs ww’s which is john west quality lol. Like everything in the pre-made isles or the organic meats…or chippie or sweety corner. Discovery shafts you too if you buy that stuff…so R25 for a pack of gummies is not where the hurt stops.

But today I went to go buy milk, bread and cheese at WW, saw the price for 6 boxes of milk and literally said WTF..no way, it was 15% cheaper last week. So i didnt buy it…drove to PnP, same…R85 fir 6, checkers house brand…82 for 6..on special, food lovers, same. Parpalat R107 for 6. Then realised…WW at R88 for 6 is fine, a loaf of crap sasco sam costs R20 anyway…ill pay 21 for the nice stuff thanks. And on Discovery you get 25% back anyway…50% if you are preggos lol ( who said babies cost money?😅).

900g chedder will cost you R130+ almost everywhere now, i just wait for the mid month 2 for R180 at WW, same price everywhere lol xcept if you eat that nasty ladysmith crap they sell at foodlovers.
You can still buy smart at WW, and yes, their fruit and veg puts other places to shame when it comes to taste and longevity. WW brand cleaning agents like dishwashing tablets etc are WAY cheaper than Finish and the likes for example.
Ppl are just ignorant. Ive bought jungle oats at ww for R25 n box when its R39 at PnP.  Just be smart and know who has what on special when imo. And abuse rewards everywhere.

If you're really a smart shopper you should be at PnP.

9 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Welllll ....

Sure, yes, Specialize has some top end bikes ... from a $1k balance bike through to the SL Levo ....

BUT ...

Their shoes are not over priced, in fact cheaper than a pair of NewBalanc tekkies.

Their leg.warmers are cheaper than FirstAccent ....

The entry level Levo was only a bit more expensive than the equivalent Giant Trance E .... and no more expensive than the Scott ebike .... going back to when I bought.

Their tyres are regularly cheaper than Maxxis ....

Like Woolies .... are they truly more expensive ?

No, I dont own a Specialized bike .... 

Very true.. Almost all my apparel and tyres are specialized - if you buy smartly they can be very competitive on pricing. I am running their new tactic helmet, super happy with it, price and comfort. 

13 hours ago, Newbie321 said:

Woolies fruit and veg seem to last forever compared to the others. I've also never walked into a dirty or old Woolies. While some products are obviously just rebranded, other differ vastly. Try PnP milk compared to the premuim or even discount woolies milk

Genetically engineered food last forever 😎

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

Why is Woolies more expensive than other brands? Besides the LSM target market for Woolies higher than say Checkers or PnP, they are the only retailer than has end-to-end temperature control in the supply chain; that costs more to keep maintained and running than a retailer without it in all areas.

erm, not so fast . . .

I've been through the Shoprite Distribution Centre in Cape Town, and I've seen some pretty amazing things there such as machines that move bins between shelves at speeds of up to 60km/h either way. It is quite something to behold.

But what stood out for me was their cold chain integrity. I took a walk through their cold storage area. -25 deg C. You may not stop inside and must keep walking. Upon entry the snot in my nose froze solid, immediately. Even my clothes froze instantly. My skin started feeling as if it was burning, not cold. That was a strange experience.

Fresh produce is received from their producers / manufacturers and then they either distribute it out immediately to their stores on allocated orders, or they will keep it in strict temperature controlled storage for no more than 24 hours until the logistics plan falls into place. The trucks doing the delivery of the cold chain also maintains that temperature all the way to the stores on the delivery route meaning that the produce remains fresh all the way to the store.

The difference between Woolies and other retailers is that Woolies uses their shelves as their storage area, meaning there is usually very limited stock in the back. They get replenished daily meaning they will normally carry the stock on display on the store aisle and if that runs out then they will order more for the next day, but for some key lines that are top sellers they would hold more stock in the back.

Back to the Woollies vs xyz shop and the product lasting.

Not to far from us is a massive fresh produce wholesaler. They are a bit inconvenient to get to so we have only tried them twice. All the fresh fruit and veg we bought from them were not only bigger than what you get at "supermarkets", but they also lasted a heck of alot longer. And the pricing was in general on par with our usual "supermarket" stores.

Based on the branding on the packaging they all came from the usual farms etc. that supply the "supermarkets". 

3 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

erm, not so fast . . .

I've been through the Shoprite Distribution Centre in Cape Town, and I've seen some pretty amazing things there such as machines that move bins between shelves at speeds of up to 60km/h either way. It is quite something to behold.

But what stood out for me was their cold chain integrity. I took a walk through their cold storage area. -25 deg C. You may not stop inside and must keep walking. Upon entry the snot in my nose froze solid, immediately. Even my clothes froze instantly. My skin started feeling as if it was burning, not cold. That was a strange experience.

Fresh produce is received from their producers / manufacturers and then they either distribute it out immediately to their stores on allocated orders, or they will keep it in strict temperature controlled storage for no more than 24 hours until the logistics plan falls into place. The trucks doing the delivery of the cold chain also maintains that temperature all the way to the stores on the delivery route meaning that the produce remains fresh all the way to the store.

The difference between Woolies and other retailers is that Woolies uses their shelves as their storage area, meaning there is usually very limited stock in the back. They get replenished daily meaning they will normally carry the stock on display on the store aisle and if that runs out then they will order more for the next day, but for some key lines that are top sellers they would hold more stock in the back.

I find our local checkers supply chain has a break in its cold chain somewhere. Very often we will buy something (like margarine or ice cream) where once you've opened it you can see somewhere along the line it has melted and then re-frozen.

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

Ive bought jungle oats at ww for R25 n box when its R39 at PnP.

My man, Woolies brand oats are by far the best. Large flake size, good integrity, and no powder in the packet. It's also often the cheapest of all brands and shops. Jungle oats is okay, but it's a far cry from Woolies and if you're going to do overnight oats then don't waste your time with Checkers or PnP house brand.

Spez also have a range of bikes from super entry level to premium. 

It's the internet driven habit of using extremes to prove a point that puts us here. 

Woollies don't really have a 'budget friendly' section, but Spez have bikes for EVERYONE.

Most bike brands have a 'niche' part of the market cornered, some only do medium to high end, some do mostly budget friendly and some cover the performance but less expensive middle areas. Spez do all of it.

So back to the Milk..... Spez would have a 50c option, a 1$, a 5%, a 50$ and all the way up to the 1200$ option. 

It's up to the consumer to decide just how much they want to buy in. 

Nothing like Woolworths and nothing like most business models