Which MTB for a 150kg guy

funnyman

A family member wants to start riding, I'm guessing mostly xc type. I've been riding for years, but know nothing in this bike category... So anyone out there know of a specific hard tail or full suss around the 20k mark? XL or XXL i think he's 2m and 150kg (from gyming, not from doughnuts) 

Any help much appreciated. 

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, funnyman said:

A family member wants to start riding, I'm guessing mostly xc type. I've been riding for years, but know nothing in this bike category... So anyone out there know of a specific hard tail or full suss around the 20k mark? XL or XXL i think he's 2m and 150kg (from gyming, not from doughnuts) 

Any help much appreciated. 

My best advice is to look on the classifieds here. A pretty nice xc hardtail could be had for around 20k, but an extremely entry level full sus could be had for that (both second hand). 

What sorta trails is he riding - if he is indeed riding trails, then a dropper post is really nice to have. 

If I was looking for an xc bike, I would prioritise components in this order:

1) frame

2) suspension

3) drivetrain

4) wheels

5) brakes

Personally, I would look at them in this order because wide rims are very easy to get hold of and it is not a challenge to find better hubs if he needs them.

Also brakes aren't super expensive and a set of nice pads can make all the difference.

Good suspension will leave you feeling more in control and less fatigued on rough descents - let us know if he needs help setting it up, as there are some extremely knowledgeable guys here. 

A frame with good geo will make all the difference to his confidence and how the bike handles. It is the hardest and most expensive thing to change.

When doing more gravity oriented riding, you can get away with a cheaper and less refined drivetrain - it gets you up, to go down. But in xc, you want a smooth drive that robs minimal power and shifts nicely; nothing is as irritating as having a noisy/clunky drivetrain on a 4 or so hour ride.

*Something like this would probably be what you are looking for: https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/hardtail-mountain-bikes/570093/ktm-myroon-master-carbon-29-xl

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

Hey MTBRIDER, thanks for that. Yeah I'm thinking hardtail would be best suited. I think he lives at De Hoop Nature reserve, so prob jeep tracks. Probably his first bikes in many years. I don't think he would have the bike knoweledge to spec up a bike, so ideally looking for a specific bike capable of carrying a 150kg person. 

24 minutes ago, funnyman said:

Hey MTBRIDER, thanks for that. Yeah I'm thinking hardtail would be best suited. I think he lives at De Hoop Nature reserve, so prob jeep tracks. Probably his first bikes in many years. I don't think he would have the bike knoweledge to spec up a bike, so ideally looking for a specific bike capable of carrying a 150kg person. 

If you are looking for a really strong bike, then aluminium is generally stiffer. Also it will be cheaper, so he can get better parts for the money. 

He shouldn't need a dropper for jeep tracks, so that is luckily an extra cost gone. A hardtail sounds perfect for what he is doing and they require little maintenance, and as a result of this, are super reliable.

Merida Big Nine and Merida 120 is Max 135 Kg.

Titan does not list Max Weights. (Not Important to them it seems.)

Better to visit a Bike Shop for Advice.

Here you will get Opinions only.

Edited by dasilvarsa

I'd go against the grain and say first you need wheels that can withstand 150kg

Then you need a frame and forks.

I'd look at a rapide steel frame;

https://www.rapide.co.za/product/rapide-tigre-29-ht/

That plus the super strong wheels and bits. I would also say do it right. 

4 pot brakes;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-brakes/578871/sram-guide-rs-brakes

Forks;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-forks/581119/29-rockshox-pike-140mm-excellent-condition

Might land up a touch over 20k but if you get the right wheels, this setup will be super capable.

The most important part is the wheels. Seriously. 150kg is a whole lot bigger than most wheels are specced for and the wrong wheels will taco, buckle and bend.

A fat bike might also be a good starter

150 kg is the equivalent of two XC racers weight.....I would stay away from a lightweight XC setup. I would look towards trail bike type spec. Get a strong set of wheels, high spoke count, wide rims (like 30 mm ID) and 2.4 inch tyres. In terms of fork, something like a Pike, full suspension $$ allowing. 4 pot brakes for sure. Basically a trail bike built like a bomb shelter. 

Personally, I'd stay away from used unless you absolutely know what you are doing/ looking at, I learnt that lesson the hard way and fell into a pit spending enough to just go buy a brand new Titan Hardtail.

That said, you can get a really nice specced Titan Hardtail for about R12k - R15k and upgrade the rims to cater for the extra weight. I had a quick look over the site and didn't see any weight limits so best to ask the guys at Titan if it will work out. @Titan Racing Bikes

Brand new bike = no problems and a 5 Year multi user warranty... Plus you are paying for the specs more than the name on the frame.

12 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

4 pot brakes;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-brakes/578871/sram-guide-rs-brakes

Forks;

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/mountain-bike-forks/581119/29-rockshox-pike-140mm-excellent-condition

Might land up a touch over 20k but if you get the right wheels, this setup will be super capable.

The most important part is the wheels. Seriously. 150kg is a whole lot bigger than most wheels are specced for and the wrong wheels will taco, buckle and bend.

Here is the perfect answer - 150kgs is going to need this bike 

as an added bonus the hulk will have a cool as custom bike 

11 hours ago, AllenH said:

Personally, I'd stay away from used unless you absolutely know what you are doing/ looking at, I learnt that lesson the hard way and fell into a pit spending enough to just go buy a brand new Titan Hardtail.

That said, you can get a really nice specced Titan Hardtail for about R12k - R15k and upgrade the rims to cater for the extra weight. I had a quick look over the site and didn't see any weight limits so best to ask the guys at Titan if it will work out. @Titan Racing Bikes

Brand new bike = no problems and a 5 Year multi user warranty... Plus you are paying for the specs more than the name on the frame.

I get that everyone loves supporting local, and it’s kinda cool that titan racing has a presence on the forum, but is the endless plugging of titan by fanboys on every “which new bike” thread really necessary? I’m beginning to wonder if some members aren’t somehow incentivised by titan. 

No way any new bike at R12k is going to work for a 150kg rider. Wheels will collapse. Brakes will be very entry level. Probably a 30mm fork at best, and way too flimsy. Be realistic. A “cheap” Titan is not the answer to every question.

I second the idea of looking at a fatbike. Will be well suited to the extra weight, and like you said, he lives in De Hoop, which is a pretty sandy place. I find it a drag (pun intended) to ride there with all the sand. Perfect for a fat bike. 

14 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

4 pot brakes;

Forks;

^this 

I did completely forgot to check the bike's weight limit, but I do think 140mm is overkill for jeep track. A fatbike does seem perfect for it, but I think that 2.8 tires may be the perfect compromise between rolling resistance and grip in sand.  I was gonna recommend something like a trek stache, but the weight limit is 136kg.

It is fairly tricky finding a bike for such a large guy, and maybe instead of the fairly expensive rapide frame, he could go with a momsen stf. I haven't had any experience with either, so maybe someone can speak for how they individually behave and handle.