[Event] Cape Town Cycle Tour 2023

FootballingCyclist

42 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

the $ field being so closely packed and having 75% of the riders finishing comfortably ahead of the fastest finisher of any other bunch, all while ignoring time and just focusing on racing is quite a thing!

it helps when we're not neutralised for half an hour like last year hey ;)

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Please help the newbies ...🙈

Is the "block" where the peleton for that group finished ?

The dots the distribution of the rest of that start group ?

For a box and whisker plot the box shows the middle 50% of finishers (the line in the box being the middle finisher's time and then the box takes 25% of the group either side of that). The whiskers usually show either the 1st and 99th percentiles or 5th and 95th percentiles (i.e. top and bottom 1% or top and bottom 5%). The little circles are all the finishers outside of this range.

3 hours ago, throttles said:

I was supposed to start in 1G but got late to the shoot and started in 2A. We picked up stragglers of 1D to 1H. By the time I got to jubilee we caught up with a large group of 1F and rode with them to the white rocks on smits just before the FNB tree.

Descending smits is where I got pissed at e-bikes. If I’m going down at 70+km and got passed by 2 e-bike that proceeded to disappear into the distance. How fast were they going? I know this is not normal, aren’t e-bikes limited? Highest e-bike number I saw was 1B but I think he must have started after me coz he only passed me in campsbay.

quite annoying that there was quite a few youngsters on e-bikes like the one towing the BaLLiE up suikerbossie. I’m almost 40 and 104kg I did it on my own with a normal bike. I know of 60+ that did it on a normal bike.

if you have a health condition and require an e-bike then chill at the back and enjoy the ride and views.

I hope they stay true to there word an DQ people. 

THESE e-biker are really spoiling it for those of us that play nicely. 😥

My bikes are totally road legal, i.e. motor assist limited.  I have gone for a 40 ring, which now allows me to pedal up to 50 to 55 km/h ON MY OWN POWER .... thus only on downhills ....

It would take some serious, and very deliberate, modifications to "cycle away" at 70+km/h  (not just free wheeling on a downhill)

Done & dusted my first one .Really beautiful route with excellent road conditions .Missed under 4 h by 1minute .Must be the gravel tyres .On the smooth tar i battled to keep up with the groups ,but on the rough tar on chapman's peak ,i felt i was faster .My first impressions .Well organized  .I think 94.7 ridejoberg have a lekkerder roadside crowd .Chappies is the hardest hill ,but suikerbossie is the wrong hill at the wrong time .The last 20 km takes looong .The City is very clean .Well done organizers  

4 hours ago, Theunissa said:

How is it with the e bike? Reason is I want to consider getting my dad to use one. He's getting older and I believe he will have more fun on it. But he's refusing still 

Two distinctly different things to consider :

1. Group ride experience .... Enough posts above about "inexperienced group riders" .....  obviously a non-issue if he has previously done these large group rides.

2. Riding an ebike on a "long route" is a VERY personal thing.  I can only comment on my personal reasons.  My knees are bust, and I would not be able to do these rides without my ebike.  I note the animosity towards ebikes, and had many chirps and a couple of insults on Sunday for being on an ebike.  You do need a thick skin .....

As for "how it is" .... these bikes are fully adjustable and customizable.  So your dad CAN adjust it to HIS knees/heart/health etc.  On a good day you can dial down the assist and get a proper hard workout.  When my arthritis acts up, I can up the boost and stay active.

These bikes are SO nice and offers so many options for those no longer able to ride a normal bike.

Our lady friend that were not able to complete her 22nd Argus on Sunday .... we are hoping she makes the mind shift and comes back on an ebike.  Rather that than not ride.

Really hurts when a handful of e-racers are hell-bent on spoiling it for the rest that just want to enjoy the day on their ebikes.  

So wish people could play nicely ....

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

the $ field being so closely packed and having 75% of the riders finishing comfortably ahead of the fastest finisher of any other bunch, all while ignoring time and just focusing on racing is quite a thing!

haha it always gets me when no one cares where you came, just cares about your time. My fastest one was easier than my best result. But groups other than the racing groups can't really use position to measure themselves so time will always be relevant. 

1 minute ago, WaldoZ said:

it always gets me when no one cares where you came, just cares about your time

So did you win your age cat? 😛
Just kidding. Fourth for a non-sprinter is super. Did you pull your classic long sprint?

Just now, bleedToWin said:

So did you win your age cat? 😛
Just kidding. Fourth for a non-sprinter is super. Did you pull your classic long sprint?

Was a bit boxed in but had a leadout man in Garth (planned) that wiggled his way through a gap and I could kick out behind him. A tad late but that was so much fun trying some sort of teamwork that we didn't care where we came.

36 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

so much fun trying some sort of teamwork

Glad you getting to experience that side of the game.
While I miss it, I'm having fun flying solo for the time being. Could not have gone with my game plan if I were in a team...

14 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Glad you getting to experience that side of the game.
While I miss it, I'm having fun flying solo for the time being. Could not have gone with my game plan if I were in a team...

Feels a little odd not racing against @Pure Savage while in pure savage kit... now I have to race other people as well 🤷‍♂️

4 hours ago, eala said:

Done & dusted my first one .Really beautiful route with excellent road conditions .Missed under 4 h by 1minute .Must be the gravel tyres .On the smooth tar i battled to keep up with the groups ,but on the rough tar on chapman's peak ,i felt i was faster .My first impressions .Well organized  .I think 94.7 ridejoberg have a lekkerder roadside crowd .Chappies is the hardest hill ,but suikerbossie is the wrong hill at the wrong time .The last 20 km takes looong .The City is very clean .Well done organizers  

I dunno mate... Honestly appalled by the amount of litter on the floor. One grown man throwing wrappers at least twice into the air along misty cliffs beach road like he expects his mother to pick up after him. Riders might as well wear tshirts if you not gonna use those pockets to stash your trash..

Edited by NeverNotRolling

3 hours ago, WaldoZ said:

Was a bit boxed in but had a leadout man in Garth (planned) that wiggled his way through a gap and I could kick out behind him. A tad late but that was so much fun trying some sort of teamwork that we didn't care where we came.

Chased from Chapmans to Camps Bay to get back to front group after the group split, went straight to the front.. a bit of a fight to get positioned for sprint. Wasn't sure where the line was so started my kick a bit late and almost caught the Irish guy who won on the line but too late now😅. You guys rode leka should make space in your team for one more old ballie looking for a ride😉

Edited by Old school

3 minutes ago, Old school said:

Chased from Chapmans to Camps Bay to get back to front group after the group split, went straight to the front.. a bit of a fight to get positioned for sprint. Wasn't sure where the line was so started my kick a bit late and almost caught the Irish guy who won on the line but too late now😅. You guys rode leka should make space in your team for one more old ballie looking for a ride😉

You mean @Pure Savage chased back haha. Jinne those triathletes got some power! 

Just now, WaldoZ said:

You mean @Pure Savage chased back haha. Jinne those triathletes got some power! 

Sometimes one has to play the game, wasn't going to do more than two pulls knowing there were teams.. I did say thank you to the one pure savage guy who did most pulls once we got back😀

Just want to add here how chuffed I am with Chris Jooste and his win. He has worked very hard from very young and deserve this for sure.

I have known him since he was a little chap in Prince Albert where we both grew up. (His father and I competed as kids.) As a schoolboy, and for a couple of years after that, Chris used to be my own fathers' (the senior DJR before his passing) occasional training buddy. The old man was then in his mid seventies and Chris was of course waaaaaaay faster. The unlikely pair rode together on Chris' recovery days and sometimes hill repeats. One for the senior DJR and multiples for Chris, I suppose !  He rode his first CTCT as a 12 year old and if I remember right, he won every age group until he was 18 and turned professional. Their riding together came to an end when Chris joined his first professional team. He is a climber and the CTCT is not the kind of race that would normally have a winner like him. But then, he has always been at least as tough as a Jack Russel Terrier with a never say die attitude. It certainly worked out for him this past Sunday.    

I'm pretty sure my Old Man watched Sundays race and cheered at least as loud as he used to cheer for Proooooovince!