Beware Bikemarket.co.za: Selling Bikes with Plugs as Permanent

me100

A word of warning to all bikehubbers thinking of buying a bike from bikemarket.co.za - especially if you are buying online.

I bought a Merida Ninety-six 800 bike from them late July 2022 online. Everything looked good from the pics and description. The salesperson Gavin mentioned that he had checked it and the bike was all good.

They delivered the bike to me and I took it for a ride and was satisfied.

After my 3rd ride I noticed the front tyre not holding air. I inspected it and noticed there was a plug in the tread (attached).

It is well known in the community that MTB tubeless plugs are a temporary, get you home fix and this kind of repair shouldn’t be seen as a permanent fix.

I emailed bikemarket:

Hi Gavin

Very disappointed to see that I was sold a bike with a defect.
The front tyre has a plug in and is not holding air.

Is it the policy of the company to sell bikes with tire plugs in?

The response from Gavin of bikemarket:

Morning Stephen,

Thanks for your email, your disappointment is noted. Did the 

We do sell bikes that have plugs in the tread, should the plug be on the sidewall or if it is worn beyond reasonable tread life, we fit new tyres. The integrity of the tyre is not compromised where that plug is.

I gave them until the end of this month to take corrective action - which they have failed to do thus far. That is why I am letting everyone know of this poor business practice of bikemarket.co.za.

A new Maxxis Ardent tyre costs just R800 from Cyclelab and they could have fixed the issue but they have shown their stubbornness.

To lose a customer for life and potentially many from bikehub over R800 when they are clearly in the wrong is just disappointing.

Shows that companies that look good from the shop can treat online buyers very badly and take advantage of them.

I would say avoid bikemarket especially if buying online. Rather buy from a reptutable seller here on bikehub or buy new.

merida-bikemarket-plug.JPG

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would not avoid a seller for selling me a bike with a plugged tyre as I think it really doesn’t matter and you are making a big deal out of something insignificant, but the customer is king and I find it surprising they didn’t just send you a spare tyre.

But I will avoid bikemarket because I bought a bike from a guy that had it serviced by them and they voided the warranty on the fourk which was a rookie mistake for a company that sells so many bikes…

Nothing wrong there. I’ve ridden and raced tyres through their lifespan with a tyre plug. Likewise with just about every other rider I know.

Your tyre isn’t compromised by any stretch and you don’t have a bike with a defect. Top up with sealant and off you go, at worst you need to replace with a mushroom plug or gator patch.

It's not at all what you are making this fuss about 

I've sold many wheelset with tyres that have plugs and bought many wheelsets that have plugs in the tyres 

As long as both parties know about it I see no problem at all 

I also never had any issues with any of the wheels I bought or the ones I sold post sale 

Imagine this post went out on a Friday, I feel the OP have received a chastening. The comment 
It is well known in the community that MTB tubeless plugs are a temporary’ is unfounded. I’m for one, and I know many others, who use plugs as a fit and forget approach, especially when you properly top up your sealant.

I feel BM is correct in not sending a new tyre. I’m sure that R800 would take a big chunk out of their markup, and if this becomes the norm, they will need to replace all pugged tyres on bikes they sell, even if it is not necessary, and they will simply pass the cost on to the consumer 

I've often used plugs as fit and forget in four wheel drives without any problems!

Have bought two bikes from bike market. Both came with their problems but I guess that's life. One was with a bent derailleur (in those I didn't know better) and dry pivot bearings; the other they stuffed up the fitment of the new tyres. Neither was that big an issue.

But if the tyre is not holding air because of the plug, then bikemarket really should sort it. Either by properly repairing the tyre or replacing with an equivalent tyre (could be used, similar good condition).

When a tyre is plugged on the sidewall then you should be concerned, But then you could use dental floss, a patch or gaitor on the inside and superglue

I'd ride certain brands of tyres with plugs anyday, then there are brands I will not touch even when brand new.

Generally, if a plug was inserted properly and as mentioned, tyre sealant used, the plug should outlast the tread.

My 2 cents' worth