Tour de France 2024

'Dale

14 hours ago, babse said:

apparently impossible for him to get better as the tour goes on...

haha this tour is dope!!!

I get it!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

image.png.f07ece66743118de91cdc47275809116.png

Sucks to be a small team when you see 4 UAE in the top 10... They drill all day for their man, drop almost all the leaders and still don't lose time. It's crazy. Imagine the tour we could have if Almeida, Yates and Ayuso were riding for Decathlon, EF, Lidl Trek !

Today we're only focused on 1-2, the battle would be fierce for top 5 !

36 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Sucks to be a small team when you see 4 UAE in the top 10... They drill all day for their man, drop almost all the leaders and still don't lose time. It's crazy. Imagine the tour we could have if Almeida, Yates and Ayuso were riding for Decathlon, EF, Lidl Trek !

Today we're only focused on 1-2, the battle would be fierce for top 5 !

That is the 'curse' of the Super Teams with massive budgets.
Jumbo Visma, Ineos/Sky and various others before them.

The Super Teams eventually implode or the power balance shifts.

Also, those super domestiques sometimes get frustrated if they don't get their chance to shine and they shift to GC leader on another team.  For better or for worse...

To quote Lance... "Mr Momentum has a new address" 😄

That win yesterday wasn't just about gaining 1s, there's so much more to what happened in that stage. Taddy went away and got pulled back, not by a team riding tempo, by a single rider. That was probably never happened in his Pro career.
Then he got beaten in a 2 up sprint to the line, that's probably never happened in his Pro career either.

The irony is that in his efforts to build up a time buffer on Jonas, just in case he has a bad day in the Pyrenees, might just be the very reason he has a bad day in the Pyrenees because he's burning matches now that he could be saving.

"In your he-head, in your he-head, Jonas, Jonas..." 😉

I love both these guys, so different yet such warriors. It's sad one has to come 2nd.

What happened to Ben O Connor this year?

Edit,he never started, apologies

Edited by W@nted

5 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

getting paid millions to do a job must be very frustrating

I'd love to meet you in person.

Are you as abrasive in real life?

These guys are the best of the best. Most of them grew up winning everything. Of course they have dreams.

I honestly do not understand UAE or Pogi for that matter. They are basically showing the world that they are scared of Jonas with these tactics. You’d think by now Pogi should know that he is not gonna put minutes in Jonas. I dont understand why he is attacking so early. Stop burning your teammates so early and keep them with you as long as possible. Why attack so far out? Jonas is the one that is a minute behind, let him do the work and then kill him at the end. 

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that if Pogi doesn’t change his style, he’s gonna get smoked again by Jonas. He has so many climbing domestiques but is not using them correctly. When Yates stomps on that pedals, not many can keep the pace. They need to manage the situation better.

The one positive for Pogi though is he didn’t lose more time. Because lets be clear, his face today was a carbon copy of last years stage where he shipped minutes to Jonas as well as the year before when Roglic and Jonas double teamed him and he also lost big time. He was cooked today but he seemed to overcome it somehow. Now again, this wasn’t a high mountain stage so maybe not a fair comparison but he looked like he was on the verge of a complete bonk so kudos to him for keeping it together.

9 minutes ago, peepeekaitjie said:

get in line, i still have an olive oil party with that other dude

you sign a contract saying you will be pogi's biatch, if you have dreams sign elsewhere

I think it's called the evolution of a career.

I worked as a junior, then left to become the boss elsewhere, now I work for myself.

But you stay where you are forever, other people can grow/evolve and try to fulfil their dreams over their career. 

9 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I honestly do not understand UAE or Pogi for that matter. They are basically showing the world that they are scared of Jonas with these tactics. You’d think by now Pogi should know that he is not gonna put minutes in Jonas. I dont understand why he is attacking so early. Stop burning your teammates so early and keep them with you as long as possible. Why attack so far out? Jonas is the one that is a minute behind, let him do the work and then kill him at the end. 

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say that if Pogi doesn’t change his style, he’s gonna get smoked again by Jonas. He has so many climbing domestiques but is not using them correctly. When Yates stomps on that pedals, not many can keep the pace. They need to manage the situation better.

The one positive for Pogi though is he didn’t lose more time. Because lets be clear, his face today was a carbon copy of last years stage where he shipped minutes to Jonas as well as the year before when Roglic and Jonas double teamed him and he also lost big time. He was cooked today but he seemed to overcome it somehow. Now again, this wasn’t a high mountain stage so maybe not a fair comparison but he looked like he was on the verge of a complete bonk so kudos to him for keeping it together.

We've only had 1 real mountain day, which Pog won and put all his time into the others.

Let's not jump the gun

13 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

We've only had 1 real mountain day, which Pog won and put all his time into the others.

Let's not jump the gun

Agree with @Jewbacca

We forget that there is a team director calling the shots from the comfort of an airconditioned luxury team car. Whatever the Pog is doing surely happens with the blessing of his team leadership.

It is still early days in this tour. What you steal now, you have to repay later.

35 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

and this is where i think most of the Pogi fans get it wrong...

the kid is a racer through and through... and he takes he's chances whenever there's an opportunity... on social media there's so much hate for Jonas and he's style... but as you put its the style that could potential snap the yellow jersey off Pogi and give Jonas his 3rd one

for the neutral this is an absolute spectacle. Pogi can keep grabbing wins to reel in that other guys record and Jonas will make the time when it counts in the alps.

Edited by Meezo
"fans"

29 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

think it's called the evolution of a career.

I worked as a junior, then left to become the boss elsewhere, now I work for myself.

But you stay where you are forever, other people can grow/evolve and try to fulfil their dreams over their career.

good for you, or sorry that happened  

41 minutes ago, Bub Marley said:

I was thinking this exact thing too, but maybe being conservative is counter-intuitive for Pogacar.

In the last 2 years when he has been in Yellow, Jonas just sits on Pogacar like velcro and lets him burn all his matches try to make up any time.

Pogacar seems to me hellbent to want to dominate and blast the field away, but starting to look like he may just becoming the master of his own destruction in this tour.

It was interesting to note in his interview after the stage he did make mention that most of his training was in preparation for the steeper stuff that's to come...