Postnet and the expectation of a buyer when shipping

Jewbacca

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

I’m in Supply Chain, so cover everything from Supplier to Customer and the reverse flow too.

The customer is not always right, but the expectations need to be understood and queries resolved to they are happy. Buying and selling should be a balanced relationship where both parties are benefiting. Buyers gets a price that is fair, and the seller gets a working item that is the same as described. 

Courier fees need to be agreed to before agreeing a deal and going ahead. Once all is agreed, both parties need to do their bit in the time agreed.

I absolutely agree with you, but in reality there are 2 rules in selling

1. the customer is always right

2. If the customer is wrong then see rule no. 1

Sellers will disagree but that's the reality - I used to tell my sales teams "suck it up or get out of sales" You not in it for his personal relationship, you in it for his money.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

I see my character has been both attacked and defended.. Thanks dudes!

You care too much about what people think Jewey😁.
Pro tip from a major stirrer: come in…drop-it-like-it’s-hot…watch the world burn.

Opinionated threads like this where there cant realistically be consensus is where you come in, say what you want and then leave never to return😅

Edited by MORNE

I only buy and sell local, I then meet the other party halfway and avoid all time delays because couriers are unreliable. As always, exercise patience. Never had any issues using this approach. Strangely enough, I wanted to give away a pair of R2000+ Nike running shoes, and the first person I asked, having known that he wanted something of that range, gave me uphill.

• 6 months later...
14 minutes ago, Sprockets said:

Can you Pudo a handlebar? Would it fit?

I've succesfully sent a few 780mm MTB bars. Picture my consternation when the Courier Guy employee informed me it was too large. I proceeded to show them how it fit, at an angle, inside the locker. They then proceeded to inform me it needs to fit into the space flat. I then proceeded to put it inside a box that fit inside the locker and the orientation of the object inside remained a mystery. South Africans - really do love a good rule!

On 12/6/2022 at 3:03 PM, Steven Knoetze (sk27) said:

I think this speaks to a general impatience, everything needs to happen now.

Two things.

I get the item packaged, ready to go before I place my add.

Seconly.
I have just too glad I get to sell the item.  These days buyers are far and few in between.  So in general I try to get the item shipped within a day. 

It's just good practice.  Creates trust.  

But that's just me.

On 12/7/2022 at 6:15 PM, tjommies3 said:

…..because couriers are unreliable…..

10+ years of using TCG (The Courier Guy) + Goeie Hoop Vervoer, Time-Freight, and I could not disagree MORE with you….

We have had ONE issue with TCG in 10 y-E-a-r-s, subsequently resolved (read; agreed to differ).

my company uses TCG up to 2x per day, 5 days per week…

YMMV.

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Zebra
Spelling

On 12/7/2022 at 4:46 PM, madmarc said:

I absolutely agree with you, but in reality there are 2 rules in selling

1. the customer is always right

2. If the customer is wrong then see rule no. 1

Sellers will disagree but that's the reality - I used to tell my sales teams "suck it up or get out of sales" You not in it for his personal relationship, you in it for his money.

Not always.

If you treat business relationships this way you’re bound to end up with a ton of churn, losing money on crappy clients who love hearing “yes sir” and needing to keep on investing in sales to find new ones. It’s a rat race.

There is a smarter way. I encourage you to read Howard Mann’s “Fewer. Better.”

Example: I just told a corporate client that the delays and increased costs on a R300k project are 100% his team’s fault. They usually spend about R1m/year with us, but it’s very close to not being worth the frustration for my team.

Being frank and not bending backwards are a large part of why I’ve been able to sell R1m/month worth of billable time to a literal handful of clients for many years. If the client was always right (which they’re not) we’d need a sales team. But because we’re known to say so clearly when we don’t agree with how things are done, we don’t have to do any selling (or even real marketing to speak of). The good clients keep returning to us for projects, because they know we won’t BS them and tell them they’re right when they’re not.

Edited by LazyTrailRider

11 hours ago, Zebra said:

10+ years of using TCG (The Courier Guy) + Goeie Hoop Vervoer, Time-Freight, and I could not disagree MORE with you….

We have had ONE issue with TCG in 10 y-E-a-r-s, subsequently resolved (read; agreed to differ).

my company uses TCG up to 2x per day, 5 days per week…

YMMV.

Cheers

Chris

It's strange how things work. In 30 years of business sending out goods around the country we had our 1st parcel go missing recently with The Courier Guy. 

They did compensate us and we're still using them. 

52 minutes ago, bullet77 said:

It's strange how things work. In 30 years of business sending out goods around the country we had our 1st parcel go missing recently with The Courier Guy. 

They did compensate us and we're still using them. 

The life of a Courier driver is not so easy these days. They are targeted big-time for armed robbery in Gauteng  and oftern lose their loads. 

On Postnet,.

Why is it when purchasing from a Hubber some charge R99 per item and some charge R120 for the same item. 

Postnet say it should have cost R99 so I guess there is some "Transport" or "mark-up" involved?

15 minutes ago, Sepia said:

On Postnet,.

Why is it when purchasing from a Hubber some charge R99 per item and some charge R120 for the same item. 

Postnet say it should have cost R99 so I guess there is some "Transport" or "mark-up" involved?

I think many people do use that 'mark-up;' as standard:

...the cost of the packaging if you are a business (less so if a pvt. individual, just sending out say one parcel per month), and then driving - for eg Paarden Eiland is 10 - 12 minutes away from nearest Post Net, then figure in the return journey, and it just makes sense to cover costs.

If - as a business sending parcels frequently - then there is no packaging material just laying around, so it must be costed.

What I DO like is when someone is UPFRONT, saying R120 for PostNet, then their is zero ambiguity!

Cheers

Chris

Edited by Zebra
spelling

14 minutes ago, Sepia said:

On Postnet,.

Is Postnet currently not R109 ?