Is this the start of the end?

Just now, The Ouzo said:

pirelli cinturato 28c tyres have been around R800 the last 2 times I've bought, now, if you can find them in 28c, they are the wrong side of 1k, pushing 1200 at some places.

Ouch! 

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

dont have the clearance to go 32mm. Plus 28mm already looks so wide to me its like I'm riding a gravel bike. :) 

aah sorry mate I put 32 mm on the back of my bike and 28mm on the front - rides really nicely - but its a Roubaix frame so have some clearance. I thought 28mm were good until I tried the 32. It looks cool and rides smooth and comfortable as hell.

4 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

cant believe the cost of tyres. And thats if you can get the tyre in the size you want.

Only upside of these ridiculous cycle tyre prices is that whenever I put tyres on my car it feels like a super bargain!

7 hours ago, W@nted said:

Exactly. The last set op gp5000 tires I bought 2 years ago for R700 per tire. Bought Pirelli pzero TLR tires last month for R900 per tire. Not sure what these gp5000 are made of.

anyway, prices are crazy

The Pirelli pricing has been quite stable on Takealot, not so much at the lbs. The conti sport contact 5 tyres I fitted recently to my car has been around the same price since 2019. Same with the Bridgestone RE051/2.

A lot of imported cycling goods has escalated in price quite dramatically as has running goods yet swimming kit isn’t subject to the same inflation. 
surfing goods has increased in price steadily over the past 20years keeping pace more with R$ ex rates .

the bike industry is moving Back to aluminium to create demand in the R35k to R100k price range which is clearly price gauging since the price of aluminium has fallen back to its long term trended norm  off its mid 2022 record high  yet the price of alloy bikes from high brands is stupidly high. 
The. Oh her price driver in luxury goods is more to do with what the high end buyer is willing to pay. They will cover the overheads while the middle class considers loans to buy toys 

Edited by DieselnDust

25 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

The Pirelli pricing has been quite stable on Takealot

I bought off of takealot last time as they were the cheapest (with shipping). It seems though that the stock issues have plagued them too and they have not had 28mm cinturatos for some time

1 hour ago, roodie said:

a super cheap sport is ROLBAL and even cheaper if you play in your pocket at home

worst klap i got at school was when a matric asked me why i had my hands in my pocket and I told him i was playing pocket billiards and the left pocket just scored a goal. He didn't like my sense of humour much 

8 hours ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

Hey thats maybe his bank balance. Just like Jacob Zuma is bankrupt and has no money to pay for anything, you need to look through the veil  - none of these guys ever hold assets in their name. Not saying he isn't a good guy BTW but you dont start the biggest bicycle company in the world and run it for so many years to end up with a net worth of $ 2m. 

But we know you are a fan boy my son 🙂

From more general business articles I've read, Spez crossed $1bn AR a few years ago already and if I remember have passed the $250m threshold in online sales already.

Extrapolating my knowledge of the business owners I know who run structures in the hundreds of millions, I'd be very surprised if Mike was worth less than $100m...

• 9 months later...