New Chainlube - Bargain

Max Headroom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Watts friction loss on this is apparently not too bad.  But not awesome reviews in general.

UFO Drip is also in that region but at least they get good reviews.

Absoluteblack with their GRAPHENLUBE is $140 for 140ml.

Guarantee the first time you go ride and have it with you there will be some oke in the riding group asking if anyone has some chain lube for him. He will then proceed to dump way too much on his chain and fling it all over the floor...

I would say try and use squirt and then you are supporting a local company.
They have done a fair bit of R&D and their product compares favourably with the competition.
We have looked into a dyno jig for them to test this analytically and the levels of friction are so low that even the best guys are battling to spec a system that will measure the friction losses/improvements reliably without averaging the heck out of the measurements. 
The signal is literally in the noise floor.
So i am not too convinced that one product will be much better than another, but I do like to support a local company when possible. 
We have not actually done any business with them yet, just looked at the specs they will require, so its not like I have a financial interest in supporting them.

I struggle to understand: 

1) Some of the cycling community believe that using any chain lube is favorable to your drive train & insist on using some or other nicely packaged product (+/-R10 000.00). 

2) Then in the same breath those same people could not be bothered what the local mechanic throws into their cars (+/- R500 000.00). 

The mind boggles :eek:

37 minutes ago, stephenplumb said:

I would say try and use squirt and then you are supporting a local company.
They have done a fair bit of R&D and their product compares favourably with the competition.
We have looked into a dyno jig for them to test this analytically and the levels of friction are so low that even the best guys are battling to spec a system that will measure the friction losses/improvements reliably without averaging the heck out of the measurements. 
The signal is literally in the noise floor.
So i am not too convinced that one product will be much better than another, but I do like to support a local company when possible. 
We have not actually done any business with them yet, just looked at the specs they will require, so its not like I have a financial interest in supporting them.

what sort of "Dyno Jig" are you referring to? A simple BOCLE (Ball On Cyclinder Lubricity Evaluator) or HFRR ( High Frequency Reciprocating Rig) testing according to ASTM D6078 and D6079 for low viscosity Lubes and Falex Pin and Vee block methods ASTM D2625, D2670 and D3233 methods for more viscous lubricants and fluids are established, industry standard tests. Why do you need a "dyno jig..."?

37 minutes ago, RobertWhitehead said:

I struggle to understand: 

1) Some of the cycling community believe that using any chain lube is favorable to your drive train & insist on using some or other nicely packaged product (+/-R10 000.00). 

2) Then in the same breath those same people could not be bothered what the local mechanic throws into their cars (+/- R500 000.00). 

The mind boggles :eek:

that because your mechanics doesn't use words like, Anti friction, wear defeating, anti matter and wouldn't dare name his business absolute <insert favourite  colour/dish/fetish here>.

Instead your car mechanics uses words like C.O.D, Cash, yet charges you less per hour of labour than your bicycle mechanic, less per liter of Oil and grease and less per gram of neoprene /nitrile rubber than the chemist

Add in some colour and okes lose their minds to he point wives have to intervene with their lawyer

22 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

what sort of "Dyno Jig" are you referring to? A simple BOCLE (Ball On Cyclinder Lubricity Evaluator) or HFRR ( High Frequency Reciprocating Rig) testing according to ASTM D6078 and D6079 for low viscosity Lubes and Falex Pin and Vee block methods ASTM D2625, D2670 and D3233 methods for more viscous lubricants and fluids are established, industry standard tests. Why do you need a "dyno jig..."?

There was a pretty good podcast on the reasons the methods of testing lubes you mentioned aren’t useful for chains on a bicycle. One thing that stands out for me, is that you can pick either high efficiency or high longevity but not both.

If you’re into this sort of thing I recommend giving it a listen: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/nerd-alert-podcast-separating-chain-lube-testing-fact-from-fiction/

2 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

There was a pretty good podcast on the reasons the methods of testing lubes you mentioned aren’t useful for chains on a bicycle. One thing that stands out for me, is that you can pick either high efficiency or high longevity but not both.

If you’re into this sort of thing I recommend giving it a listen: https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/nerd-alert-podcast-separating-chain-lube-testing-fact-from-fiction/

I did and the main thing is marketing. 

For slow moving equipment we actually prefer things like Penetration test, film strength ( Falex methods).For chain lubes things like bulk modulus come into play, compression strength. Flow is almost non existent so even viscosity isn't important but the higher the better generally (for a chain lube)

Bicycle chains have more in common with Mining equipment than engine oils, hydraulic fluids or cutting fluids since hydrodynamic lubrication never comes into play. there is some Extreme pressure regime gong on but by and large its all about bulk modulus vs lubricity under load. However for the purpose of evaluating pure lubricity these tests are relevant by virtue of other properties not being accurately represented by the manufacturer.

The reason I'll chose Squirt over the other products is because it was developed by guys who actually worked in Lubricants and Wax manufacturing at SASOL. They have industry knowledge, they have chemicals knowledge, ie. as far as the bike industry goes, they're the Hambini of chain lubes

41 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I was just about to state the same.

5 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

I did and the main thing is marketing. 

For slow moving equipment we actually prefer things like Penetration test, film strength ( Falex methods).For chain lubes things like bulk modulus come into play, compression strength. Flow is almost non existent so even viscosity isn't important but the higher the better generally (for a chain lube)

Bicycle chains have more in common with Mining equipment than engine oils, hydraulic fluids or cutting fluids since hydrodynamic lubrication never comes into play. there is some Extreme pressure regime gong on but by and large its all about bulk modulus vs lubricity under load. However for the purpose of evaluating pure lubricity these tests are relevant by virtue of other properties not being accurately represented by the manufacturer.

The reason I'll chose Squirt over the other products is because it was developed by guys who actually worked in Lubricants and Wax manufacturing at SASOL. They have industry knowledge, they have chemicals knowledge, ie. as far as the bike industry goes, they're the Hambini of chain lubes

Fook you .... I am not slow moving ..... though I would like to say that I use Squirt for those exact same technical reasons, but I use it because it works, and the price is reasonable.

I've been using squirt since I bought my current chain. I've been happy with it so far. Doesnt attract to much dirt. Done just over 3000km with it and when I measured 200km ago it was not showing signs of ware.

Glad to see it scores well in the linked tests.

Got this Stuff From Bearing Man

R250 for 500 Mils

Looks Like Squirt but Smells a bit Different.

Been Using it for 2 Months and I think that its Bloody Wonderful.

20230203_163105.jpg