Minor scuff marks on Ultegra crankset - can it be polished out?

mecheng89

Hello Hubbers!

I've had the misfortune of a few dropped chains, causing scuff marks on the crank as shown in the photo.

2 questions- can I be polished or repaired to as new condition? And, if there a protective aftermarket film I can apply?

Thanks!

20230224_173231.jpg

Isn't that anodising ?
I don't think that can be polished out or touched up.

Would like to know as also have some chain scratches on my cranks

Those scratches are now adding character as the only wa y to repair those is via painting. The alternative is to polish the crank and that will remove the entire coating . It will then have to be polished regularly. 

You are like me, I hate any type of scratch on my bike. 

After Googling Cerakote, that seems to be your answer. Would love to know the pricing. Things like this tend to be expensive. 

I am pretty sure that somebody handy with spray paint, could fix that too. 

14 hours ago, Eugene said:

You are like me, I hate any type of scratch on my bike. 

After Googling Cerakote, that seems to be your answer. Would love to know the pricing. Things like this tend to be expensive. 

I am pretty sure that somebody handy with spray paint, could fix that too. 

Ceracote will require you to cover the branding of you want to keep it or lose it and make the crank look like a non series crank. 
warranty void obviously

Edited by DieselnDust

On 2/25/2023 at 7:04 PM, swingTOpeddle said:

Maybe give Cerakote a go and let us know how it works on bicycle parts? I’ve not seen on here anybody doing this yet. 

cSixx are doing a range of Cerakote colourways on all their alloy components. 

On 2/25/2023 at 8:14 AM, mecheng89 said:

I've had the misfortune of a few dropped chains,...

surprised to see it is a new 12 speed Ultegra crank /Di2 12 speed groupset? :eek: 

3 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

surprised to see it is a new 12 speed Ultegra crank /Di2 12 speed groupset? :eek: 

i have one. dropped one chain on the first ride and i have a few marks from it. 

really miffed at how easy shimano marks vs my sram/campy groupsets.

2 hours ago, Furbz said:

i have one. dropped one chain on the first ride and i have a few marks from it. 

really miffed at how easy shimano marks vs my sram/campy groupsets.

Same story, was cleaning chain and running it backwards, jumped off and scratched crank, I see it  every time I ride FML

On 2/27/2023 at 12:23 PM, Mongoose! said:

I too was very surprised. I was under the impression Di2 sorts all this high low tension screw guessing game out for you. A bike shop told me nope, you still have to go into the app (there's an app for that), and pay around with the gaps between the chain and the mech to get it just right.