Alternatives to Garmin watches - Garmin has no after-sales support

Tacet

10 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Of course it does. So does buying a new Specialized which I believe has become part of your dreams?

Garmin DO offer products that kick the pants off it's opposition as well as have an existing ecosystem which can be linked to pretty much everything

Am I a Garmin fanboy? No, I don't really buy into a 'brand' but rather the useability and practicality of a product.

When it comes to extended use gps functionality, Garmin are currently unmatched as a package.

Coros are fantastic 'new market' opposition but they don't offer as comprehensively established software, data collection and app/reward/external connectivity.

So, for now, they definitely do offer the best overall product in this specific market segment hands down

Huge Garmin Fan

I'm wearing One Right Now.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Sorry, to clarify, the OPs missus needs a watch that can cope with extended hours of RUNNING ultras.

So the alternative needs to cover that base.

Most people who do 100 milers or longer don't want to fiddle with settings, which is why battery life is so important.

My Fenix 6x pro gave me just over 60 hours of full use, off trail alerts, full HR and stats tracking etc and charged off the battery bank in 90 minutes on a long, road section up to a stop during my last 200 miler.

It was amazing to just press play and forget. When you're tired, cold, hungry etc you don't want to have to change settings

Clearly peoples base reference differ vastly.  I done many marathons and "ultras" in the past, for me an ultra is anything between 42.2 and 89km.  Anything further than that I call "NUTS" ..... 🤪.

These days even a std. marathon is completely out of the question for me .... 😒.

Edited by TheoG

10 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Compared to their competitors Garmin are huge and so deep into GPS devices and technology (Aviation, marine, automobiles, plus plus...) that its hard to imagine anyone else will ever be able to compete against them from a technological point of view.

Back to the this threads first post....after sales service, customer support and reliability is a level playing field for all the different manufacturers, after +/- 35 years of using numerous polar watches and bike computers, the amount of times I've needed to send one in for a battery replacement or other problems is < 5.... Kind of like Toyota... Everything keeps going right TOYOTA 😁

But it's pretty much as bland and vanilla as the Toyota 🤪

I hate Garmin but i use garmin

I love to hate garmin

yes their service sucks mostly but they have not let me down with a warranty even if i did wait a month

For bike computers I think they have good competition.

for multi sport watches they don't really have competition, The closest i would recommend is the Polar Grit X /Grit X Pro

feature and battery performance of the garmin Multisport watch is unrivalled

#havetogivethemcreditwhereitsdue

Edited by DieselnDust

Our company, Ikhambi was recently awarded the distribution rights for COROS - www.coroswearables.co.za 

I've been using the Vertix for my Ironman Training and the product is really solid. Worth keeping on your list of options. Kipchoge, Gerda Steyn and Kilian Jornet use Coros as their watch of choice. 

image.jpeg.362aa5bcc3cbb57f9e20ce430b6e9f7b.jpeg

12 minutes ago, OVERDRIVE said:

Wife's Forerunner 35 not adjusting date. Annoying 

Make sure Date and Time Is set to Auto on the FR35.

Menu, Settings, System, Time, Set Time, Auto

Go Outside and get Sat Fix

Make Sure the Date and time is Correct on the Phone.

Sync to the App

• 8 months later...

Any update on the Coros integration with Vitality? Is this likely to happen this year?

Especially with that lovely, well-priced Eliud Kipchoge edition Pace 3...

spacer.png

@Christian van Zyl

32 minutes ago, Hilton. said:

Any update on the Coros integration with Vitality? Is this likely to happen this year?

Especially with that lovely, well-priced Eliud Kipchoge edition Pace 3...

spacer.png

@Christian van Zyl

Thanks for the message Hilton, between Wahoo and COROS our single biggest frustration and set back to scale has always been Vitality. We're always actively engaging with Vitality in multiple countries where they are active to have this integration done. 

We have seen significant growth the past year on Coros and will continue to speak to the purist market that understand the value proposition of these brands. 

We continue to work towards the goal of integration, but have no date set. Willing to give a free smoothy to anyone who buys a COROS unit. 

Cheers from team Ikhambi 

Are Coros devices mostly aimed at runners, or do they have cycling features (power, cadence, etc.)?

Will Coros have better out of warantee backup, than the Wahoo products ?

Or is Coros just another disposable item, like Garmin and Wahoo ... as this thread is all about the lack of service out of warantee ...

7 hours ago, Dexter-morgan said:

Have you tried a hard reset?

Even worse, lost the charger so dont use it at all