Alternatives to Garmin watches - Garmin has no after-sales support

Tacet

Morning all,

My GF's Fenix 6S's battery has died, so we took it in to Garmin.  They don't replace batteries at all, but takes in your old watch, and offer you a bit of discount on a new one.  I have the same problem with my Edge 520 - one of the rubber buttons has torn, and the only "fix" (trading in on a new one) Garmin has will cost me more than R2k.  We've tried all the fixes for the 6S - hard reset, deleted temp files (thanks, NavWorld, who didn't even charge us to assist!), upgraded firmware...

Has anyone looked at alternatives to Garmin that offers a bit more after-sales support?

Basic requirements for watch:

1. Must have >24 hour battery life on GPS (she does ultras)
  2. Must have a barometric altimeter
  3. Must be able to sync with Trainingpeaks
  4. Must be able to sync routes and do navigation.
  5. Must support Ant+

The Fenix 6S was perfect in functionality, but Garmin's after-sales policy is a bit of a put-off.

Thanks!

Edited by Tacet
Added Ant+ support once I realized that Suunto mostly doesn't have it

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

R2k for a replacement watch out of warranty v buying a new watch R10k+ ?

The main alternatives are Coros/Polar/Suunto are probably the options you will need to look at for ultras.  Each has their merits and pitfalls.  Garmin by far is the best.

Else give it a go at replacing the battery, lots of youtube videos on how to do.

I would take the 2k hit for a replacement...

Cortos or a Suunto 9 will cost over 10k. We(wife and I) had 5 Suunto's replaced in 3 years on their warranty, so while their warranty is good, the odds are you will need it. Our Fenix 6's have both outlasted any of the suunto's.

Coros is a really awesome product as well, I have been super impressed with a team mates one. But you in for 13k minimum for the apex or 15k for a vertix.

3 minutes ago, shaper said:

R2k for a replacement watch out of warranty v buying a new watch R10k+ ?

The main alternatives are Coros/Polar/Suunto are probably the options you will need to look at for ultras.  Each has their merits and pitfalls.  Garmin by far is the best.

Else give it a go at replacing the battery, lots of youtube videos on how to do.

Sorry, I was a bit unclear - the R2k is to replace my Edge 520.  The only problem with it is the torn button.  To replace the watch was more than R6k, iirc.

I'm considering replacing the battery.  Just can't find one locally available, so it will have to be Aliexpress or Ebay.

2 minutes ago, dave303e said:

I would take the 2k hit for a replacement...

Cortos or a Suunto 9 will cost over 10k. We(wife and I) had 5 Suunto's replaced in 3 years on their warranty, so while their warranty is good, the odds are you will need it. Our Fenix 6's have both outlasted any of the suunto's.

Coros is a really awesome product as well, I have been super impressed with a team mates one. But you in for 13k minimum for the apex or 15k for a vertix.

Oof, 5 Suunto's in 3 years - that makes it very likely that you'll need support soon out of warranty too.  The Coros looks super on paper, but I'll have to search around a bit to see how good their out of warranty support is. 

Try the forerunner 255, o, wait :oops:. Personally: the watch & or GPS unit is seen as a consumable with a certain lifespan. Put the unit under your household content insurance (specified item) and once it packs up get another one. Having to run around to get this or that replaced just adds unnecessary frustration. 

This is just my way of thinking 😁

1 hour ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Try the forerunner 255, o, wait :oops:. Personally: the watch & or GPS unit is seen as a consumable with a certain lifespan. Put the unit under your household content insurance (specified item) and once it packs up get another one. Having to run around to get this or that replaced just adds unnecessary frustration. 

This is just my way of thinking 😁

Will insurance pay out for a bad battery?  If they do, that certainly sounds like a winning strategy. 😅

1 hour ago, Dexter-morgan said:

One of my mates had issues with his SUUNTO, the back-up was even worse, he eventually went for a Garmin.

The more I Google the less alternatives I see.  Coros also don't replace batteries.

if the unit's battery is dead, it still has value - Garmin willing to 'swap' out ith a 6k pay-in (so value - new unit price - 6k), or OP can get a knock-off battery off ebay and use a YT video to make the swap (you'll need tools too) and then OP'll have unit with some new life in it - this may or may not be successful... However, once a DIY replacement is done, Garmin won't swap it out at some future point.

If OP went with the Garmin-swapsy, they'll get a new unit and new tech... but 6k vs the price of an ebay battery and some tools can be a bitter pill.

each to their own. I know what my choice would be.

So one thing about this is GPS tracking/route saving space/breadcrumb notifications for an ultra. 

SO many older options simply don't have the battery life. Even the Fenix5 series battled to get through a 100 miler in one charge for a 'quick' waddler.

If the wife is doing Ultras, 6k replacement for a 7 or Enduro watch isn't bad at all. 

You could also potentially buy an old stock 6 or 6s for less. 

I use a hand held e-trex as backup, but it doesn't have the same ease of use or vibration alert if/when you go off track while sleep running.

Ultras are expensive. The toys, shoes and entry fees add up quickly. 

20 minutes ago, lechatnoir said:

each to their own. I know what my choice would be.

Me too

This "non replaceable battery" thing is worrying for those of us with tight budgets.

My Edge130 is going on 5 years now. I can see battery life is not what it used to be, its still lasting for 4 / 5 hours , much less in cold weather though.

I’ve had my Garmin 735XT since July 2016, and I can get 5 hours on the 1s recording, or 8 hours with smart recording. Knowing how to disable certain battery draining functions is required on the longer rides, eg. backlight settings, turn off Glonass once location has been found, turn of BLE connections (use Ant+ only), use HRM strap rather than wrist-based.

5 hours ago, Tacet said:

Basic requirements for watch:

1. Must have >24 hour battery life on GPS (she does ultras)

The Fenix 6S was perfect in functionality, but Garmin's after-sales policy is a bit of a put-off.

Thanks!

I was busy researching trail running watches this morning (work avoidance) and Garmin wins for ultra battery life (the solar version was tops), it appears, over everything else.

I dumped an early model Fenix due to its software and battery bugs, so I feel your resentment.

I'd take the trade-in offered...alternatively, 6S / solar on special at incredible; and 6X at takealot.