• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 'Dale

• DJR

• Frosty

• ChrisF

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Rouxenator said:

It's the queue you get because there is a ridable section, but the masses feel for the cleat homologation conspiracy. 

That was so stupid. Everyone standing waiting and then walking it and the little downhill section after that. I can't remember the last time I passed so many people on the downs. One guy said to me "wow you are fast on the technical sections", what technical sections it's all jeep track and fields o Ja and the dumbest climb I have ever seen. Not one person even tried it, even the Ebikes where pushing up there. 

10 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

That was so stupid. Everyone standing waiting and then walking it and the little downhill section after that. I can't remember the last time I passed so many people on the downs. One guy said to me "wow you are fast on the technical sections", what technical sections it's all jeep track and fields o Ja and the dumbest climb I have ever seen. Not one person even tried it, even the Ebikes where pushing up there. 

Probably I the worst MTB race I've ever done. The 80km was torture. That climb was shocking, and no singletrack to make you feel better. And who's idea was it to put a locked gate at the top of that climb? And the sand? I've never seen so many people pushing their bikes on a flat trail because of sand. I'll never do this race again and will tell everyone I know to give it a miss. Absolute **** show.

Free beer was lekka and the goodie bag was awesome. 

Edited by El Duderino

5 minutes ago, El Duderino said:

Probably I the worst MTB race I've ever done. The 80km was torture. That climb was shocking, and no singletrack to make you feel better. And who's idea was it to put a locked gate at the top of that climb? And the sand? I've never seen so many people pushing their bikes on a flat trail because of sand. I'll never do this race again and will tell everyone I know to give it a miss. Absolute **** show.

Free beer was lekka and the goodie bag was awesome. 

16 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Glad I agreed to another event before seeing the add for this.

Based on the previous organisors history this event was on my bucketlist

44 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Glad I agreed to another event before seeing the add for this.

Based on the previous organisors history this event was on my bucketlist

I did the 50km and everything except that climb was rideable - even e-bikes will struggle up it, I think. I have had worse sand elsewhere and I am very thankful this was not as muddy as last year (or 2020). 

This was my 9th DBX and I still hold it in high regard, my only gripe being long registration lines (entry ninja again) and no Coke at the end. Will definitely be back next year. 

IMG_20240525_094847_BURST1-EDIT.jpg.9182f9942c4c283f24f9f5b2b46ddf7d.jpg

Edited by Rouxenator

1 hour ago, Rouxenator said:

I did the 50km and everything except that climb was rideable - even e-bikes will struggle up it, I think. I have had worse sand elsewhere and I am very thankful this was not as muddy as last year (or 2020). 

This was my 9th DBX and I still hold it in high regard, my only gripe being long registration lines (entry ninja again) and no Coke at the end. Will definitely be back next year. 

IMG_20240525_094847_BURST1-EDIT.jpg.9182f9942c4c283f24f9f5b2b46ddf7d.jpg

The sand was really not bad maybe I'm just conditioned after gravel and grape, now that was sandy but still more fun than today maybe it was the brandy points 😁

The Darling race always starts with a lekker kuier Friday (well for us) thinking of it that might have contributed to the suffering today 😂 but I think I'd rather do the Ride darling than DBX again. There's just no fun sections could have done today on a gravel bike.

If they made that climb with some switch backs it would have been rideable and would it kill them to make a some single track? 

Last year with the mud sucked but the route was still more fun. 

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

59 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

The sand was really not bad maybe I'm just conditioned after gravel and grape, now that was sandy but still more fun than today maybe it was the brandy points 😁

The Darling race always starts with a lekker kuier Friday (well for us) thinking of it that might have contributed to the suffering today 😂 but I think I'd rather do the Ride darling than DBX again. There's just no fun sections could have done today on a gravel bike.

If they made that climb with some switch backs it would have been rideable and would it kill them to make a some single track? 

Yip, fully agree

As mentioned , that’s why I’m opting out of this one going forward. 

11 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I saw one gravel bike - respect. 

DBX is still my preferred ride, despite having to wait for cleat noobs. The vibe is just awesome every time. Since I stopped drinking at the end of 2022, I no longer have hung over starts, but now age and lack of regular exercise is catching up to me. Would have loved to do the 80km but I was spent after the 50km. 

My odo on the 2020 Sola 1 rolled over to 19,000km yesterday and I hope I can better the 31,000km I got on the 2014 Sola 1 I had before. Mountain biking, and I suppose cycling in general, can be very affordable if you stick to keeping things basic. 

18 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

IMG_1360.jpeg

How do you find your speed ability now, having spent time riding with a group, vs. riding alone?

On 5/25/2024 at 7:47 AM, michaelbiker said:

Not every day you see these signs on the side of the road
IMG_6039.jpeg.170d55178c568db308071c33ac1740e6.jpeg

IMG_6071.jpeg.815a5b47ce979f1ee7db7d9002514af4.jpeg

IMG_6052.jpeg.0c875286a9fa9366fdd09eea3eca3857.jpeg

In South Africa, you have signs warning cars that pedestrians are crossing HIGHWAYS. 

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

How do you find your speed ability now, having spent time riding with a group, vs. riding alone?

It’s difficult to say because I’ve not ridden alone in a while. With the group I’m feeling stronger than when I first started, but that could also be down to knowing when the group surges and slows down as well as reading the group better. 

In July and August I’ll be doing solo rides on a Sunday out to you as I’ll need to check on my parents place whilst they’re gone, that should give me a good comparison to before.