GCN+ Closing

WIPEOUT 1000

So finally got a "friend" in the UK to use his card to subscribe me to Discovery Plus. With a VPN and a little tweak here and a little tweak there, I am fully on Discovery Plus watching cycling on Euro Sport in HD quality (ZERO BUFFERING). I am soooooooo happy again! Proper commentary, no adds and lots of coverage! There is hope in this world!  😀 

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

GCN sold back to founder

👆🏼 Let's see if GCN+ will make a comeback.

I'm getting too frustrated with Tiz's unreliability and Kodi's instability. Staylive is not really worth it either, IMHO. In the meantime, I have just subscribed to Flobikes, no problem. Just needed to use a UK postal code and VPN. My credit card automatically changed the location setting to UK somehow. Subscription is $29,99, though 😮‍💨💸💸 It includes a bunch of other sports as well so it's still better content choice than dstv. They have an annual subscription option of $150, which I'm considering after this one month trial run. Massive savings in that case.

Has anyone succeeded in subscribing to Discovery+ ? I've tried jumping through all the hoops I could think of but payment still gets blocked.

Edited by Red Bird
Added annual subscription

13 minutes ago, Red Bird said:

GCN sold back to founder

I'm getting too frustrated with Tiz's unreliability and Kodi's instability. Staylive is not really worth it either, IMHO. In the meantime, I have just subscribed to Flobikes, no problem. Just needed to use a UK postal code and VPN. My credit card automatically changed the location setting to UK somehow. Subscription is $29,99, though 😮‍💨💸💸 It includes a bunch of other sports as well so it's still better content choice than dstv. They have an annual subscription option of $150, which I'm considering after this one month trial run. Massive savings in that case.

Has anyone succeeded in subscribing to Discovery+ ? I've tried jumping through all the hoops I could think of but payment still gets blocked.

I signed up staylive for MTB for this month. Watched some of the finald of the DHI and it was good.

I'll probably do the same if they are gonna stream the TDF and just done a one month for the tour. 

... I was able to stream from more than one device, my mibox and phone at the same time. So the R125 for June i could split between my brother and I ... it's still early days and DHI format is kuk especially that you miss most of the semi's or whatever they call it .

Would of been cool of they streamed the Dauphine 

Between SBS (AUS), RAI (ITA) Sporza (BEL) I’ve watched every road race this year without having paid a cent. The only problem is that some races weren’t live from Km zero but often the final 60-100km; like the old days before GCN+. 

XCO and DHI is a different story, which I haven’t seen a single event yet.

12 hours ago, Red Bird said:

GCN sold back to founder

Watching all my cycling via discovery+. Works perfectly and is exactly like GCN+ used to be - even with usual commentators. I had to jump through a few hoops (see below - nothing difficult) - but once done - I watch with no issues at all. 

2 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Watching all my cycling via discovery+. Works perfectly and is exactly like GCN+ used to be - even with usual commentators. I had to jump through a few hoops (see below - nothing difficult) - but once done - I watch with no issues at all. 

Thanks, will give the UK based Gmail a try. Just wondering if credits can be added to the Google Play wallet and just pay from there... 🤔 For those who can't phone a "soutie" friend.

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

...snip.....

XCO and DHI is a different story, which I haven’t seen a single event yet.

Wonder how many people "stopped" watching XCO and DHI ?

At what point does this start influencing "exposure" and "marketing" for the sponsors ?  (in an already tight economic environment)

Yea sure ... we (SA) are a very small market segment.  But these issues of limited access are just as bad in many other countries.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

At what point does this start influencing "exposure" and "marketing" for the sponsors ?  (in an already tight economic environment)

Yea sure ... we (SA) are a very small market segment.  But these issues of limited access are just as bad in many other countries.

@ChrisF I’m one that stopped watching and it had a knock-on effect to my reading interest, back tot the days of road!

4 hours ago, ChrisF said:

I have stopped.

9 hours ago, ChrisF said:

As before mentioned… long live RedbullTV and the MTB racing 😢

On 6/13/2024 at 12:13 PM, ChrisF said:

Yip I have stopped, sad as I watched religiously 😡

In general also means my interest in those disciplines has waned, I check the results when I remember and that's about it

29 minutes ago, NotSoBigBen said:

Yip I have stopped, sad as I watched religiously 😡

In general also means my interest in those disciplines has waned, I check the results when I remember and that's about it

same  happened to me with F1, used to watch it religiously, I could tell you lots of stats about my favourite drivers and teams, but then DSTV took it over from SABC, we didnt have DSTV at the time, since then I think I've watched less than a handfull of races and know very little about which teams and drivers now participate.

Sheesh guys it's like R120 per month for the Staylive feed, which is good. Not RB, but good, and without lagging and hiccups (touch wood). Cycling season over? Cancel. Cycling season 2025 starts up again after the lazy bastids have holidayed for (what feels like) 11,5 months, reactivate the subscription. No ads, no Red Bull rubbish in-between and beforehand, just a solid cycling feed. Really, it's not a lot of money for many hours' worth of entertainment.

31 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Sheesh guys it's like R120 per month for the Staylive feed, which is good. Not RB, but good, and without lagging and hiccups (touch wood). Cycling season over? Cancel. Cycling season 2025 starts up again after the lazy bastids have holidayed for (what feels like) 11,5 months, reactivate the subscription. No ads, no Red Bull rubbish in-between and beforehand, just a solid cycling feed. Really, it's not a lot of money for many hours' worth of entertainment.

when signing up did you use RSA details or spoof something in a different area?

ready to try anything to watch the TDF not on DSTV.

2 minutes ago, Furbz said:

when signing up did you use RSA details or spoof something in a different area?

ready to try anything to watch the TDF not on DSTV.

My actual home address in SA.

BUT the Staylive is only for UCI downhill and cross-country feeds (live, and you can watch races from earlier this season). No skinny bikes. 

Edited by tinmug