Around the pot: participants of the cancelled 2023 only get 20% discount for 2024

olmec

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Their last update, in August of last year says the following:
image.png.05d84df0b001ee95350b2403859a8ab8.png

But the discount they offer isn't any more than an early-bird discount? Bellairs, I spoke to you at the finish line after the decision was made to cancel the race, and you looked me in the eye and promised a significant discount. This is not that. 

Just for context - what was promised last year? Edit - Ok I see you answered that

The organisers would have had a lot of upfront expenses to cover last year even though the event didn't happen, so I don't think free entries to 2023 entrants would have been affordable to them

But also don't have a feel for what a fair discount would be (to both parties)?

Edited by Skubarra

13 minutes ago, olmec said:

But the discount they offer isn't any more than an early-bird discount? Bellairs, I spoke to you at the finish line after the decision was made to cancel the race, and you looked me in the eye and promised a significant discount. This is not that. 

Then don't enter it again ... simple. 

1 hour ago, olmec said:

Yeah nah,  barking up the wrong tree if you're expecting anything from ballhairs.

20%discount is fair, does it reduce the early bird further? 

28 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

Yeah nah,  barking up the wrong tree if you're expecting anything from ballhairs.

20%discount is fair, does it reduce the early bird further? 

David Bellairs, from cycle tour? 

2 hours ago, olmec said:

20% isn't significant? ... Take 20% off your gross income and let us know. Faaarrk, the line between expectation and entitlement is a narrow one. 

3 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

20% isn't significant? ... Take 20% off your gross income and let us know. Faaarrk, the line between expectation and entitlement is a narrow one. 

Considering he paid for something which they then didn't even deliver  i don't think he's( THE OP ) too entitled here to start off with 

BUt I do agree Gnarly , f that event and just move on. Sucks but the mental strain isn't worth it imo

i felt the same the year the argurst was cancelled.

and wasn't back since, got a freebie entry last and rode it... will probably only do again if another freebie comes my way...

Entries arent even open yet (2-Feb), are you sure you've seen the actual result of the offer? 20% is nothing to scoff at. https://www.aroundthepot.co.za/enter

In terms of precedent - i entered for the Ronde van Riebeck 50 miler last year which was quite delayed from starting. Not only did Adriaan pay for everyones cappuccinos that morning, but made good on 100% discount for this years entry (and i actually stayed to start late and finish that event too). 

I feel very bad for organisers - they have sunk costs, whether the event runs or not. Most of my experience of the events that are cancelled very rarely offer any refund or discounts for future dates, its really the risk we take when we enter.

Also worth mentioning that RvR is an excellent event - its a cheaper 100miler gravel event to do, you dont need to sleep over or travel far to get gravel kicks. RTP is a great event, but feels its got a tad pricey FWIW.

25 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Considering he paid for something which they then didn't even deliver  i don't think he's( THE OP ) too entitled here to start off with 

BUt I do agree Gnarly , f that event and just move on. Sucks but the mental strain isn't worth it imo

Due to extreme weather and a call by the provincial EMS that was out of their hands. That is part and parcel of the risk and liability we face as participants, as well as the organisers. In any outdoor activity. 

It's disappointing for everyone and the irritation is understandable to a degree, some people make it vindictive though with rage posts on the socials/google reviews. It would be nice if there were some form of insurance that could be taken out, even as an opt in. But then we would moan about the increased cost. 

Thanks for all the input okes.

I agree that this means voting with my feet.  I had really hoped I wouldn't have had to—that folks would have stuck to their word and done a little more than the bare minimum.  The way I saw it is that they had the opportunity to get a fan for life, but instead they decided with their pockets!

As it stands, its not about the absolute value or cost of anything, but rather the entrants-as-an-exploitable-resource that I have a gripe with. This kind of decision making, and exploitation, seems to follow this particular organiser around too.

As for folks who raise "being entitled" (and the various versions of this): please do remember that I forked out the full set of costs ahead of the 2023 event, including accommodation and travel. That the organisers had an accurate forecast of the inbound weather, ahead of the weekend, but decided to delay their decisioning such that they would incur additional costs—not a decision participants got to contribute to either.

Reading the terms in more detail, they're offering 20% of the 2023 fee… no doubt this means 2024 fees have gone up, so the real discount will be even less.  At this point, probably just signing up for the early-bird discount will be more valuable than this rubbish.

Its such a shame that the real value of these events has been lost on the folk who milk the fun out it.

Thanks for the heads up on RvR.  Race to the Sun is another well organised and fun event.

1 hour ago, WaldoZ said:

Okes already saved massive amounts of money not racing in that mud... now they want more discount? 🤣

Think of the poor bike shops, no Xmas bonuses last year!