the unofficial Cape Epic 2024 thread

Shebeen

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That’s the first 100 teams entered. Even though the absolute demand might be lower than 10 years ago there is still sufficient demand to cover operating costs for the next year. 
boom 

On 3/18/2024 at 9:09 AM, Shebeen said:

might not be for everyone. lots of cheapo nylon still there. not an easy village to organise, i suspect there will be a lot of people in tulbagh/ceres/wolseley guesthouses then moving to wellington/paarl

image.png.2ce452d78c70e764685ba59192045cc7.png

@Shebeen  fake news-  as below and personal experience the tents were actually pretty good ,

The upgrade tents were at another luxury level, but standard tents were proper solid canvas.

On 3/17/2024 at 11:33 AM, Danger Dassie said:

Rider tents a vast improvement over previous years. Significantly larger and made with proper weather proofed rip stop canvas, shade net liners for doors/windows and a sponsor branded sun cover. 

IMG_2147.jpeg.b255a8b6ca277eb6a0ac25ebed45acd4.jpeg

A bit boring Epic again. If only there was an individual category, we would have seen an Nino/Beers showdown. The 2 man team thing is hurting the Epic, it is too much risk to be timed on a riding partner, hence most pros just skip the Epic and many do it only once and never return. Dumb rules.

16 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

A bit boring Epic again. If only there was an individual category, we would have seen an Nino/Beers showdown. The 2 man team thing is hurting the Epic, it is too much risk to be timed on a riding partner, hence most pros just skip the Epic and many do it only once and never return. Dumb rules.

I disagree,  the team thing makes the ABSA Cape Epic. 

- Candice managing pace https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=1104218804249860

- Candice going hell for leather up ou-helshoogte to do the same again and ghost marking her attack and getting the holeshot to stop a repeat.   

- Beers and Grots - F1 style 60-second wheel change to stay in touch when on the back foot after smashing a rim and multiple plugs  not working 

To mention a few and don't forget the classic "Pussy move " 

Nah boet stage racing is like test cricket, there is a fascinating ebb and flow that is addictive! 

Granted it is not for everyone, but there are enough solo races for all tastes, please let us keep this a team one ? 

Edited by Milosh
spelling

47 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Forgot to add *in your opinion 

47 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Hurting it in what way?

There is a team behind each team, so doing it solo would be more like having a GT set up with guys taking turns each day getting the team leader in the right wheels and in the right positions as the cost factor wouldn't allow individuals to make it work.

This will bring more rule changes in regulating how many helpers can one guy have? What level of assistance can be offered etc...

The solo back markers would also struggle. Having a mate to pick you up, help you eat, remind you to drink and the between stage recovery is also better with a pal. Doing things like this alone is tough. I've done a few 6 day solo missions and there is a real struggle to stay out of your own head and keep on top of things.

The race sells out pretty much every year. I see no reason for them to change anything.

IMHO it was hardly boring. The lead changed hands a few times, some teams surged and dedded and the overall winners read the race to perfection.

I thoroughly enjoyed it this year

4 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

funny but I missed the context . I do love the term snowflake. Reminds me of Lewis Hamilton 

This just in, least you forget....Snowflake = 

image.png.0d7caeece9ec9952371e1683f4ea22ef.png

18 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Intriguing stats.

Father Sun sure had a say.

IMG_6328.jpeg

my friend doesnt understand this graph, can you help him? Is this showing DNFs?

18 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Hurting it in what way?

There is a team behind each team, so doing it solo would be more like having a GT set up with guys taking turns each day getting the team leader in the right wheels and in the right positions as the cost factor wouldn't allow individuals to make it work.

This will bring more rule changes in regulating how many helpers can one guy have? What level of assistance can be offered etc...

The solo back markers would also struggle. Having a mate to pick you up, help you eat, remind you to drink and the between stage recovery is also better with a pal. Doing things like this alone is tough. I've done a few 6 day solo missions and there is a real struggle to stay out of your own head and keep on top of things.

The race sells out pretty much every year. I see no reason for them to change anything.

IMHO it was hardly boring. The lead changed hands a few times, some teams surged and dedded and the overall winners read the race to perfection.

I thoroughly enjoyed it this year

"reads Mtbiker404 post count" oh, young padawan!

22 minutes ago, 'Dale said:

Intriguing stats.

Father Sun sure had a say.

IMG_6328.jpeg

Maybe it just me being colourblind but no exactly helping that the colours for many years are basically the same 🤣

16 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Maybe it just me being colourblind but no exactly helping that the colours for many years are basically the same 🤣

Seems like the end of each column is a race stage and the percentage drop out at the end of that stage. Year colours are slightly confusing 

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

In a weirdly roundabout way, I have no affinity towards anyone having to be a 'real' anything.

A 'real' mountain biker because you can suffer? Eish..... Lest we all forget, Burry was 25 when he died. I'd not quote the wisdom of a 25 year old kid, regardless of how good they are/were at a sport. I'm sure the sentiment was sincere and I'm sure he meant well by it, but it just isn't something we should revere.

I also don't buy in to anyone having to prove anything to anyone in any field to earn 'respect'. 

It's a weird thing that people feel they need to endure voluntary hardship in order to garner support in an imaginary pecking order. 

If it isn't fun or you aren't doing it for your own benefit or introspection, I'd question the motives.

Agreed. And yet there are a whole bunch of riders who view the Epic as the pinnacle of achievement and have enlarged egos as a result of riding it.Or perhaps its just attracts the kind of personality who make lots of bucks and think that way.