Temu for cycling goods

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

I think it's disgusting that the retail price is double the copycat. 

https://capemulti.co.za/product/park-tool-dag-2-2-derailleur-hanger-alignment-gauge/

Depending on how you measure it, the richest man in the world currently made his money selling disgustingly overpriced hand bags and other luxury items at eye watering markups. 

Yeah well these days it feels more understandable, like if you make a truly innovative product how much time do you have till the Chinese copies it and brings it to the market.

Entrepreneurship is dead with those ****s in the world 😂

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

30 minutes ago, BaGearA said:

Yeah well these days it feels more understandable, like if you make a truly innovative product how much time do you have till the Chinese copies it and brings it to the market.

Entrepreneurship is dead with those ****s in the world 😂

That, and the multiple mark-ups to get the real product from the manufacturer to your LBS ...

As much as I hate copyright infringement, the current business model does not work ... or at least, it creates the perfect opportunity for this grey market.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

That, and the multiple mark-ups to get the real product from the manufacturer to your LBS ...

As much as I hate copyright infringement, the current business model does not work ... or at least, it creates the perfect opportunity for this grey market.

It starts with manufacturers giving detailed reports on how kuch it costs to deliver a product to a market, forcing distros into set markups and then retailers must mar kill eachother with what they deem fair.

Obviously that's a lala land idealistic idea but it seems fairly easy to me eg.

Maxxis declares it takes them 400 bucks to make and ship a ikon to RSA shores with a small profit for themselves.

Rush,Scott and who ever can only put a 10% markup on with agreement to buy containers full ect.

Then retailers that try to still charge 750 should quickly be snuffed out 

Got my suspension stem. Fraction of the price of an original kinesis parallelogram stem. Works flawlessly. Too bad I hate the feeling. 🤣

Love temu and buffalo shipping. By the time you receive the order you've forgotten what you needlessly added to your trolley a few weeks ago. Like a real surprise gift from my past self! (he had terrible taste. I like it.) 

9 hours ago, V18 said:

Got my suspension stem. Fraction of the price of an original kinesis parallelogram stem. Works flawlessly. Too bad I hate the feeling. 🤣

Love temu and buffalo shipping. By the time you receive the order you've forgotten what you needlessly added to your trolley a few weeks ago. Like a real surprise gift from my past self! (he had terrible taste. I like it.) 

Did you get the Meroca one? I've been eyeing it, as even with the current 20% sale Redshift landed is going to be around R4k, and the Vecnum one even more. Not a whole lot of reviews for Meroca online, but what there is is not negative.

56 minutes ago, dexterdent said:

Did you get the Meroca one? I've been eyeing it, as even with the current 20% sale Redshift landed is going to be around R4k, and the Vecnum one even more. Not a whole lot of reviews for Meroca online, but what there is is not negative.

Yep. Zero damping and weights a tonne. Top-outs like a mofo. I'll sell it off again. @MORNE may be able to shed some light on the Redshift one. 

38 minutes ago, V18 said:

Yep. Zero damping and weights a tonne. Top-outs like a mofo. I'll sell it off again. @MORNE may be able to shed some light on the Redshift one. 

Thanks, looks like you saved me R750 :)

2 hours ago, dexterdent said:

1 hour ago, V18 said:

The redshift ones are nice. Been using my combo since 2019 ish. I have the stem and post on a bike. You don't really perceive it moving either so wont be disconcerting, and wont feel different to a rigid stem or post either. What you notice though is that it takes the edge of anything you ride over. You feel stones, holes things as usual but its alot more dampened. I’ve described the feel of the stem/post combo on here before as being similar to riding like a rigid mtb but with 2.6+ rubber at lower pressures. Theres an airy compliance to it. I would buy them again.

Edited by MORNE

13 hours ago, V18 said:

Lol, I have a car cigarette lighter in the form of a big red button with the words FIRE MISSILE on its way with my current order! 😄🤦‍♂️

Did get some cycling niknaks - clips to hold cables together, value caps, and presta to schrader valve adaptors   

23 minutes ago, Stoffel76 said:

clips to hold cables togethe

these are crap.

They are a 2 piece design. great in principle because it allows the 2 sides to swivel independently from one another, but the mechanisim to hold them together keep coming apart

9 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

these are crap.

They are a 2 piece design. great in principle because it allows the 2 sides to swivel independently from one another, but the mechanisim to hold them together keep coming apart

I have the same clips that's swivel from temu and with a wknd riding witfontein trails and tokai DH trails they held up perfectly 

Maybe you just toooooo fast lol

• 2 weeks later...

I have no self control and bought a bunch more stuff from temu. Mostly for the next 2 bikes I want to build.

Hybrid brakes, red levers. Green and red bb, "photochromic" glasses. Cable housings, bb tool, brakes pads, fancy oil slick chain, Pedal straps. Everything looks pretty good quality. (Brake levers aren't as nicely finished as I would've liked, the rest is good though.)

20240531_190218.jpg

I'm going to be somewhat judicious about what I buy from them in future.  Last night Channel 4 aired The Truth About Temu: Dispatches.  Carabiners had fraudulent safety claims and markings (and had never even been submitted to the UIAA), a baby harness which was claimed to be safe up to 15kg broke at the first instance and immediately with a 5kg sandbag, and insulated screwdrivers and wire strippers had fake safety markings and fraudulent certification (What the actual ....).  Oh, and all the metal jewellery submitted for analysing had extremely unsafe levels of various heavy metals.

Let's just say I ain't buying brakes from these guys.  At this rate I'm wondering if the cycling socks and loose shirts for chilled summer rides I got are emitting unsafe levels of alpha, beta or gamma rays.

Edited by justinafrika

18 hours ago, justinafrika said:

I'm going to be somewhat judicious about what I buy from them in future.  Last night Channel 4 aired The Truth About Temu: Dispatches.  Carabiners had fraudulent safety claims and markings (and had never even been submitted to the UIAA), a baby harness which was claimed to be safe up to 15kg broke at the first instance and immediately with a 5kg sandbag, and insulated screwdrivers and wire strippers had fake safety markings and fraudulent certification (What the actual ....).  Oh, and all the metal jewellery submitted for analysing had extremely unsafe levels of various heavy metals.

Let's just say I ain't buying brakes from these guys.  At this rate I'm wondering if the cycling socks and loose shirts for chilled summer rides I got are emitting unsafe levels of alpha, beta or gamma rays.

You get what you pay for...

23 hours ago, bebnin said:

I have no self control and bought a bunch more stuff from temu. Mostly for the next 2 bikes I want to build.

Hybrid brakes, red levers. Green and red bb, "photochromic" glasses. Cable housings, bb tool, brakes pads, fancy oil slick chain, Pedal straps. Everything looks pretty good quality. (Brake levers aren't as nicely finished as I would've liked, the rest is good though.)

20240531_190218.jpg

How are the photochemical lenses from them.? I was back and forth of getting from Temu but I just bought Oakley sutro.. 

did I f$&k up.? Are the lenses good.?

28 minutes ago, Bichael Dewing said:

How are the photochemical lenses from them.? I was back and forth of getting from Temu but I just bought Oakley sutro.. 

did I f$&k up.? Are the lenses good.?

You won’t regret the Oakley’s. They’re fantastic.