Advice on training/motivation slump

sias

A little different question, I have been struggling to stay healthy, the motivation to train is there but I have been ill on and off since February. 

Big problem is we have a almost two year old in the house and the illnesses they get at creche is "killing" me. 

I am considering getting a IV- drip for immune boost. 

Anyone got some advice?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

A little different question, I have been struggling to stay healthy, the motivation to train is there but I have been ill on and off since February. 

Big problem is we have a almost two year old in the house and the illnesses they get at creche is "killing" me. 

Anyone got some advice?

Unless you have a deficiency in a key nutrient, the only thing an IV drip will do is give you expensive urine. You will literally be pouring money down the toilet.

21 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

Anyone got some advice?

1. Wash hands often - have a hand sanitizer close by - like the pandemic

2. Wear N95 mask - DO NOT KISS OR HANDLE CHILD (not practical or emotionally viable)

3. Gargle with salt water and rinse nasal passages and sinuses with saline solution

4. Take Vitamin C and Echinacae for the placebo effect

5. Keep a bucket of dettol in the car and cold immersion for child whenever collecting it from playdates / nursery school (Not legal, may involve provincial welfare department)

6. Wait 20 years for it to leave home

Edit - Only 1, 2 and 3 will be effective and as noted - 2 will cause emotional damage and delay 6

Edited by Mamil

What works for me is to every year take a month off completely, not doing any training whatsoever. Usually around the winter school holidays. Then 2 months after that only light training, fun stuff on the trails and easy coffee rides. Means after 3 months I am fat & unfit but fully rested mentally and physically and highly motivated to get back to form. Usually takes me another 2 months to get back to where I was, but I find that pattern works for me much better than trying to maintain full fitness 12 months per year with short breaks in-between.

48 minutes ago, Irvin85 said:

Anyone got some advice?

You could boost your immune system by training right. Start with 30 min in z1 3 times a week. Then add volume gradually. Keep intensity low for about 3 weeks then add z2. Resist the temptation to train harder until you're free of symptoms. Then add 1 z3 session a week, no more. I have made the mistake of going too fast too soon and restarting cold etc symptoms 

2 hours ago, buckstopper said:

Nothing like a race entry and paid accommodation to get you motivated. I was also riding inconsistently and then entered for The Road to Desolation race in April. Training to survive...

My year start with a LOT of riding, following on from the Rapha 500.  Events every 2 to 3 weeks, until the CTCT.

Training started for a 3-day stage race, for this coming long weekend ..... and then it got cancelled ....

Okay, another nice event end August .... darned if we can get our accommodation sorted. 

Thankfully the bio is keeping me BUSY with lots of other stuff, which regularly include a short indoor trainer ride as part of the warm up.  I do try to get a couple of decent rides in each month.

YES ... so much easier to FOCUS when the entry has been paid and you work towards something.  For now just some nice relaxing rides.

Edited by ChrisF

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

What works for me is to every year take a month off completely, not doing any training whatsoever. Usually around the winter school holidays. Then 2 months after that only light training, fun stuff on the trails and easy coffee rides. Means after 3 months I am fat & unfit but fully rested mentally and physically and highly motivated to get back to form. Usually takes me another 2 months to get back to where I was, but I find that pattern works for me much better than trying to maintain full fitness 12 months per year with short breaks in-between.

A friend does something similar.

She does one full Ironman every second year, and a half on the other years.

She does a Comrades every second year (not the full Ironman year)

They have just done the 36one, and have previously done Trans Baviaans and similar events.

She stays active year round.  After a big event this may be a 10km run, or a 2 000m swim, or a Zwift session.  Depending on the upcoming event, she will then ramp up specific training towards that date.

Alternating between different activities, and allowing for "slow" periods works well for her preparation.

3 hours ago, Jensie said:

Is it just me but with this winter weather there is no motivation/urgency to ride/train????

the weather in the cape has been more than fair for riding lately, defs better than what ive been seeing in GP, but honestly the darkness in the morning does make the duvet-taco a better option.

IMO Afternoon riding is the solution if work allows ...

2 hours ago, Irvin85 said:

Anyone got some advice?

I think if you really are 'run down', then a Neurobion, or Vit B12 INJECTION can make quite a difference, it is backed up (somewhere) by clinical studies, one injection per month really does make a difference - YMMV.

(Neurobion has more 'ingredients', but they both have Vit B12, which - I feel - makes the difference (and I am a sceptic at the best of times...!) 

Cheers

Chris

[EDIT: Maybe not relevant for OP situation, but I thought I'd share my 2c on a general lack motivation to do what's good]

Relying on motivation is not a sustainable way to maintain a good habit. It's unreliable.

Start by reflecting on the reason why you want to train

• Do you want to elevate your well-being and quality of life?
  • Do you want to enjoy the outdoors?
  • Do you want to challenge yourself and build your character with voluntary discomfort?
  • Do you want to improve your mental efficiency?
  • Do you want to find a place for community and build friendships?
  • Do you want to tick off a major bucket list event, or series of events?
  • Find YOUR why, something that will outlast the tempests and inevitable changes in your world.

But, I'm serious, really reflect deeply on it - find a why that aligns with your values an identity as a person, something that is inseparable from who you are. Start there and really build the belief that I WANT to train because X.

Then, implement techniques to reduce the friction to actually do it, in ways that satisfy your why.

• Get a training partner for accountability
  • Use something like Strava to set goals and build streaks and get those short term dopamine hits
  • Set out your gear the night before
  • Set achievable, short term targets, build systems to achieve those targets, and long term goals will take care of themselves
  • Nurture your bike or kit so that you feel you want to bless it with a ride
  • Take time to appreciate the privilege of just being able to huff and puff and contract muscles and feel the wind and sunshine and beautiful nature, or the taste of blood at the end of a few Z5 intervals
  • Find what works for you

Then, set forgiving and realistic principles like:

• Never miss two workouts in a row
  • Even a 20min walk is a workout
  • Regularly try something new (new route, new intensity, whatever)
  • Stretch

But all this is HEVEL/vapour/beyond reach without a clear and convincing WHY

Most people who struggle to train lack conviction - they do not really want to train, they think they do but they don't. If you really want to have a habit like this, you will find a way.[1] When this message landed for me a few years ago I actually started finding it more difficult to break my streak than to keep it going. 

[1][unless you have a health condition or demanding personal situation that really constrains you, like having two kids under two years old, or being a single parent with limited support or financial means]

Edited by JayLow
proof reading, disclaimer

Man I know the feeling........suffered with a lot of health issues this year, now slowly getting back on the bike. Maybe get a Coach like I have done..........BUT I think my Coach fired me...🤭

Some really helpful advice on here that most of us can take to heart & apply in our own lives, thanks 🤙

I'm somewhat ADHD and get super bored of something really quickly. What works for me is variety, not only different sports but even different bicycles. I'll get tired of MTBing for a while and then I'll hit the road, gravel or vintage bikes. Just the change of pace and scenery for a month or two is enough to ease my mind and get my mojo back.

All the best going forward 🤙

3 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

There is, but this is a family friendly forum 🤫

Family friendly , not be confused with family making friendly 

36 minutes ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

Some really helpful advice on here that most of us can take to heart & apply in our own lives, thanks 🤙

I'm somewhat ADHD and get super bored of something really quickly. What works for me is variety, not only different sports but even different bicycles. I'll get tired of MTBing for a while and then I'll hit the road, gravel or vintage bikes. Just the change of pace and scenery for a month or two is enough to ease my mind and get my mojo back.

All the best going forward 🤙

Absolutely agree! I do 10 disciplines in parallel otherwise I get bored:

1. Pool swim
  2. OW swim
  3. MTB
  4. Road bike
  5. Indoor bike
  6. Trail run
  7. Road run
  8. Treadmill run
  9. Strength training
  10. Yoga

Each of these cause a slightly different physiological adaptation, and since I spread myself too thin across all the disciplines (struggle to exceed 8 hours active per week) I'll never break any records in any one of them, but I'm always cross training so I almost never get injuries and maintain a fitness where I can do an IM70.3 or equivalent at any point in time.

For practical reasons I divide it into hitting the following every week (target in brackets)

• Swim (30min)
  • Bike (3hr+)
  • Run (1hr+)
  • Strength (1hr)
  • Yoga (30min)

I tailor the ratios and intensity depending on events in my calendar and what I feel like doing (I do whatever I want, dammit), but at this rate I can stay injury free and maintain general fitness, sanity, and SO relations.

EDIT, basically I do a light version of the person @ChrisF shared about above

Edited by JayLow
shoutout to ChrisF's fit friend