Bib Shorts going Transparent after relatively little use

JBK

I know this has come up every now and again but with no real answers, solutions or constructive feedback. Generally people are quick to say that Bib shorts are not meant to live forever, get over it and throw them out. But when you are forking out R5k for Assos shorts and they go see through after only a year, this is surely not on. 

I noticed a mention of this today on another forum topic and did not want to hijack that thread to discuss this matter and hence have started a new thread. Kindly refrain from same comments as I've had before and no silly retorts from people to whom this does not happen as it seems to only happen to some people and not others. 

I have had this now with every brand that I have tried including Castelli (all styles) and Assos (Mille GTS and Equipe RS) and everyone thinks i'm crazy as this seems to. In some instances this happens within 3 months of wearing a bib (max) once per week.

We have changed washing powder to one with no enzymes as I read that enzymes in washing powder could destroy the lycra when it nukes the dirty stuff. And we put the bibs into a "washing bag" that go into the machine on a cool and short "hand wash cycle". We dry them flat and out of the sun but both my and my wife's Assos go transparent, albeit with our current washing regimen, in less than 18 months of being used on rotation maximum of once per week. This is crazy because some people have Assos bibs that are 5 years old and still as good as new. 

I have also noticed, however, within our cycling groups, that this has started happening to others and also in relatively short periods of time since the bibs were new. Perhaps the manufacturers are making the fabrics "cooler" and "lighter" and hence less durable ? 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Headshot said:

Aren't all bib wearing roadies exhibitionists? MTB riders should have baggies on over their see through bibs anyway. 

It's the bit just above and below the waistband of the baggies that goes see through... and it looks kuk, even if you're an exhibitionist... 

Ive had three Ciovita corsa bis go transparent and one Assos Mille GT tear in two places. In both cases its a lycra quality issue.

I've got Assos bibs that are 20years old and haven'nt gone transparent or worn through. It does appear that the newer lycra yarns are just rubbish. i won't buy another Assos or Ciovita till they address the matter consistently.

2 hours ago, JBK said:

I know this has come up every now and again but with no real answers, solutions or constructive feedback. Generally people are quick to say that Bib shorts are not meant to live forever, get over it and throw them out. But when you are forking out R5k for Assos shorts and they go see through after only a year, this is surely not on. 

I noticed a mention of this today on another forum topic and did not want to hijack that thread to discuss this matter and hence have started a new thread. Kindly refrain from same comments as I've had before and no silly retorts from people to whom this does not happen as it seems to only happen to some people and not others. 

I have had this now with every brand that I have tried including Castelli (all styles) and Assos (Mille GTS and Equipe RS) and everyone thinks i'm crazy as this seems to. In some instances this happens within 3 months of wearing a bib (max) once per week.

We have changed washing powder to one with no enzymes as I read that enzymes in washing powder could destroy the lycra when it nukes the dirty stuff. And we put the bibs into a "washing bag" that go into the machine on a cool and short "hand wash cycle". We dry them flat and out of the sun but both my and my wife's Assos go transparent, albeit with our current washing regimen, in less than 18 months of being used on rotation maximum of once per week. This is crazy because some people have Assos bibs that are 5 years old and still as good as new. 

I have also noticed, however, within our cycling groups, that this has started happening to others and also in relatively short periods of time since the bibs were new. Perhaps the manufacturers are making the fabrics "cooler" and "lighter" and hence less durable ? 

My advice will be to start using a sport pre soak and make sure the washing machine has no softener left from previous washes. We've done some research on this and saw due to fabrics being compression, lighter and more breathable it's susceptible to go see through especially if it's cheaper lycra. 

2 minutes ago, andreas17777 said:

My advice will be to start using a sport pre soak and make sure the washing machine has no softener left from previous washes. We've done some research on this and saw due to fabrics being compression, lighter and more breathable it's susceptible to go see through especially if it's cheaper lycra. 

I have always only used delicate washing liquid, washed on its own and hung out of direct sunlight 

3 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

I have always only used delicate washing liquid, washed on its own and hung out of direct sunlight 

Yes, but a sport pre soak rejuvenates the fabric which helps it keep longer.

16 minutes ago, andreas17777 said:

Yes, but a sport pre soak rejuvenates the fabric which helps it keep longer.

I generally wash all my kit once a week, at the end of the week , will look into the pre wash I think Ass magic makes one, 

apparently not washing it immediately is also not good, but it’s been working for me 

Follow the washing instructions - wash in a separate laundry bag. My castellis are 5 years old and this has made all the difference.

I put the shorts in a laundry bag when I take them off, and that goes in the wash.

Edited by 100Tours

35 minutes ago, andreas17777 said:

make sure the washing machine has no softener

We don't use fabric softener at all - it's not necessary with the softness of the water in JHB.

6 minutes ago, 100Tours said:

Follow the washing instructions - wash in a separate laundry bag. My castellis are 5 years old and this has made all the difference.

I put the shorts in a laundry bag when I take them off, and that goes in the wash.

Did you read my post from start to end ? This is exactly the problem, I do use a wash bag, gentle wash, zero enzyme washing powder, etc.

This proves my point exactly that some people can look after bibs terribly and they'll never go see through whilst some of us treat them impeccably but they still go see-through in a relatively short space of time. 

I honestly think it's to do with percentage of salts, minerals, iron, magnesium, etc in some people's sweat. 

I have only have this happen to me with one pair of bibs in 25 years of cycling, a Sportful pair that were bought to small (and then I packed on some weight) and some  the elastic fibres in the lycra snapped.

Do your broekies fit to tight perhaps. 

I do none of the things anyone has mentioned in this thread. All my bibs literally just get washed like normal as per any other clothes. It gets mixed in with those corrected as well. I don’t use a specific bag and I don’t use any special detergent or softener. I also hang them out to dry in direct sun. I’ve only had 1 bib go thin after about 5 years of use. And I’ve had various brands like assos, dhb, kalas and some chinese bibs. They’ve all been fine. 

Not really sure what your issue is but maybe you just overthinking it. Just throw them in the wash and be done with it.