The deteriorating classifieds culture

My opinion on this is that some people have all their notification settings switched off and they don't list their telephone numbers so they simply do not receive the messages requesting info or offers to purchase. I wanted to buy a saddle from someone and sent about 5 messages over the course of about 8 or 9 days asking for them to please make contact so that I could buy the saddle. I wasn't going to negotiate or anything. Eventually I got so the hell in that I offered them half - thinking that will maybe get their attention. They replied a few days later that it was sold.

Pity that you cant review someone with whom you did not buy something from. 

Edited by JBK

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

12 minutes ago, JBK said:

My opinion on this is that some people have all their notification settings switched off and they don't list their telephone numbers so they simply do not receive the messages requesting info or offers to purchase. I wanted to buy a saddle from someone and sent about 5 messages over the course of about 8 or 9 days asking for them to please make contact so that I could buy the saddle. I wasn't going to negotiate or anything. Eventually I got so the hell in that I offered them half - thinking that will maybe get their attention. They replied a few days later that it was sold.

You can review someone without a purchase. 

28 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Can I also switch off the reviews I resolved ("don't like") to give a true impression ("fake") my review stats?
I read it is quite commonplace nowadays with cycling gear.

PS. Definitely a slow work day - 3 posts! I might be losing my job soon, but hey, I only have 77 more posts to go!

Edited by rampies
clarified: 77 more posts

32 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

that's new - and that's the answer - just go and give bad reviews - might shake them up

24 minutes ago, JBK said:

that's new - and that's the answer - just go and give bad reviews - might shake them up

I’ve just reviewed a rude time waster now . 

Edited by cadenceblur
Spelling

21 hours ago, Mountain Bru said:

What would really make the classifieds next level amazing would be if you could select an option in your profile to only sell to guys with a certain number of forum posts, and only buy from guys with a certain number of forum posts, and if turning that on somehow brought back comments on the classifieds 🤩🤩🤩

Interesting point ... if at the time of generating the add, the seller can select if they want to allow or disallow comments. 

28 minutes ago, JBK said:

Seems like a recipe for reviewbombing. I would prefer to only be able to review after bona fide sales. 

1 hour ago, JBK said:

1 hour ago, cadenceblur said:

This is incorrect. Yes, technically possible to post a review but it’s against our Review policy:

https://help.bikehub.co.za/en/articles/5778178-user-review-policy

Reviews may only be added where a sale happened or a firm agreement was in place
As per our Terms of service: User reviews should only be submitted where an agreement to transact exists or a transaction was concluded on Bike Hub. We reserve the right to remove feedback that relates to negotiations or communications where there was no agreement and/or a transaction did not take place or relates to a transaction not initiated via Bike Hub.

In short, if a sale wasn't concluded or there was no agreement to sell in place you should not be posting a review. If this cannot be verified we may prevent you from posting a review or remove a review.

1 hour ago, cadenceblur said:

Edit: I see Matt posted the same :)

Maybe you should read bikehubs FAQ/Help centre

This has been discussed many times over the years, reviewing without purchasing opens it up to abuse for many reasons, no responses like you get, missed out on a deal or just didn't like the tone....

Reviews may only be added where a sale happened or a firm agreement was in place

https://help.bikehub.co.za/en/articles/5778178-user-review-policy

Edited by shaper

30 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Interesting point ... if at the time of generating the add, the seller can select if they want to allow or disallow comments. 

dibs

Okay, so the bad behavior will just continue then. Good luck to the others that come across these individuals then.

May they continue with impunity!

1 hour ago, rampies said:

Can I also switch off the reviews I resolved ("don't like") to give a true impression ("fake") my review stats?
I read it is quite commonplace nowadays with cycling gear.

PS. Definitely a slow work day - 3 posts! I might be losing my job soon, but hey, I only have 77 more posts to go!

Noob…you should have made your edit a new post all together👀 

44 minutes ago, Hairy said:

I

38 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Okay, so the bad behavior will just continue then. Good luck to the others that come across these individuals then.

Unfortunately as far as reviews are concerned a line has to be drawn somewhere. You'll find our policy is similar to many other platforms. As others have noted, if it's left totally open there's far too much room for abuse and subjectivity... and then the whole thing falls apart.

We have considered other means to encourage & highlight positive behaviour. And, would welcome any fresh ideas. For example, those who respond to messages within X number of hours/days get a "Responds quickly" badge.

That doesn't solve for the time wasters, but at least surfaces those who are unlikely to waste time. 

44 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

Again 

not Bikehub

....people 

19 hours ago, ACE Cycles said:

Coming from someone that sold on this platform for a living, those you speak of spend more time talking k@k and stroking their fragile egos than they do in actually buying anything

There are 2 kinds of hubbers, those that do, and those that talk

…Eish, talk about taking that KOM! 😅