Downhill Riders,including current SA National Champ, overlooked for World Champs

27 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Imagine going to a Dr and there is. 33.3% the diagnoses is right. 

Good amount of **** doctors around for this to be not so unimaginable lol. 

The idea that all doctors are the fonts of knowledge is also an outdated concept.

Being book-smart is as easy as it gets, it requires you to remember information. Its like people with the argument that algebra is pointless and will never be used in life. Its not about the algebra…its about learning tools, strategies, methods for problem solving and deductive reasoning.

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering…….Are there any cycling SA “team officials / managers” going to the world champs who are not going to be actually riding?

If so, who pays for them…..

I recall many years ago at an age groupers world champs in Canada where they asked one of the more senior riders (who was paying his own way ) to be the team manager. If memory serves me correctly SA cycling paid the race entry fee for each rider (XCO and DH), the participants paid for everything else.

Edited by SwissVan

2 hours ago, SwissVan said:

Just wondering…….Are there any cycling SA “team officials / managers” going to the world champs who are not going to be actually riding?

If so, who pays for them…..

I recall many years ago at an age groupers world champs in Canada where they asked one of the more senior riders (who was paying his own way ) to be the team manager. If memory serves me correctly SA cycling paid the race entry fee for each rider (XCO and DH), the participants paid for everything else.

Two years ago we had to pay R3k per rider for a Team Manager who knew sweet FA about DH and added no value.  The cost per rider to stay in the Team House was R14k for a week - it worked out cheaper to find alternative accommodation.  Entry fee for World Champs was paid by CSA.

In 2023 at "Super Worlds" CSA picked up most of the costs.

This year it's a self-funded trip again - probably R60k per rider, for those that are not in Europe already.

Sort of unrelated, but maybe not.  Making the US olympic track team is insane(the kenyan 3000m steeplechase trials is equally nuts). You have to peak for the trials and then 6 weeks later the Olympics. It comes down to heats and a final, mess up once and you are gone. The guys who miss out on the 100m could probably medal in the 4x100m relay. 

So the defending champ for the ladies 800m tripped in the final. Cheers, thanks for playing.

I understand having an absolute criteria has its advantages. But exceptions happen and they are not entertained. 

9 hours ago, Vaultboy said:

Assuming you were born in 1985? Then you matriculated when the pass mark was 33%, and you were only required to do 6 subjects - with only your first and second language on higher grade, of which only your first language was actually HG difficulty. Being good at your second language was a lot of free points. 

People misunderstand (and misremember) actual requirements. 

33% on the standard grade

40% on the higher grade 

you were required to do a minimum of 6 subjects 

4 subjects on the lower grade with languages on the higher would maybe, just maybe get you into a trade school 

10 hours ago, MORNE said:

Good amount of **** doctors around for this to be not so unimaginable lol. 

The idea that all doctors are the fonts of knowledge is also an outdated concept.

Being book-smart is as easy as it gets, it requires you to remember information. Its like people with the argument that algebra is pointless and will never be used in life. Its not about the algebra…its about learning tools, strategies, methods for problem solving and deductive reasoning.

Still better at algebra than you... 

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

4 subjects on the lower grade with languages on the higher would maybe, just maybe get you into a trade school 

Correct. If you don't get a matric exemption you can't go to university. Just like how if you don't get enough points you can't go to Worlds. 

On 7/27/2024 at 7:35 PM, V18 said:

Still better at algebra than you... 

likely. Im pretty good at geometry and trig though. Next time, instead of heckling you roadside i might just throw something at you to prove it😅😉

Edited by MORNE

1 hour ago, Onlybikes said:

BuT tHe BoYs Are **** RideRs . Shouldnt be riding overseas  they are not good enough.....

well done Ross let the negative people see......

Did he go through the qualifying rounds?

9 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Did he go through the qualifying rounds?

3rd place elite men IXS 

3 minutes ago, Onlybikes said:

3rd place elite men IXS 

Yes, I read that,
I asked did he go through a series of qualifying rounds to get to the final?

2 hours ago, Duane_Bosch said:

Well done to Ross Kew for getting on the box at the Le 2 Alpes IXS race.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/video-and-results-ixs-european-downhill-cup-in-les-2-alpes-france.html

I used to ride with Ross and his Dad at Giba Gorge in KZN. Talented rider. Stoked he's getting on the podiums in Europe. 

Sidenote: I was way faster than him. He was only 9 or 10 years old at the time. 

It's the Bike Morzine whip off comp at the big table on Zore today. Holding thumbs for the Saffers. This is WAY more prestigious than a podium at a silly little World Cup or World champs.

This is apparently Dylan Lamb looking to take gold for SA

image.jpeg.676b684c750b855cb41639081bb98c31.jpeg

Edited by Duane_Bosch