Cycling on N14 from riverstone back to cradle LEGAL or NOT?

rudstar1915

3 minutes ago, nathrix said:

Times like these we need Big H, he is/was mos a pad builder and knows all the ins-and-outs when comes to padwerke and sorts.

Oom H always said you cannot cycle on a freeway.
This is the sign for a freeway
Signs4SA - Your Premier Signage Company in South Africa

It can be marked as "N" and not be a freeway.

A section where there are stopstreets and robots on a N route would not be a freeway and an indication for cyclist allowed.  

16 minutes ago, nathrix said:

Times like these we need Big H, he is/was mos a pad builder and knows all the ins-and-outs when comes to padwerke and sorts.

Careful now, he might just pop up with his excessive usage of exclamation marks, before threatening to leave again because nobody wants to play with him.

The law is quite clear on this: you're not allowed to cycle on a freeway. A national road is not necessarily a freeway, and vice versa. Freeways cannot have any intersections where someone needs to stop; it should all be on- and off-ramps.

4 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Oom H always said you cannot cycle on a freeway.
This is the sign for a freeway
Signs4SA - Your Premier Signage Company in South Africa

It can be marked as "N" and not be a freeway.

A section where there are stopstreets and robots on a N route would not be a freeway and an indication for cyclist allowed.  

Perfect example is where the N1 passes through towns such as Worcester.  Between towns you have the freeway sign, but just before you enter town you have this sign with the red cross confirming it is no longer a freeway.

3 hours ago, rudstar1915 said:

HI there Fellow Hubbers

Straight into it, yesterday I was nearly arrested for cycling on N14 from Riverstone back to Cradlestone. We have been doing it for decades yesterday I was told that is part of the freeway. 

My understanding is the freeway starts from that bridge at riverstone. 

Is that correct, need some info and advice.

Thanks in advance

Rudi

Going East, It's a 100 zone from the Hendrik Potgieter traffic light to just after the Riverstone offramp - where it changes to 120.  Going West it goes from 120 down to 100 as you drop down the hill towards the bridge.  There aren't any signs saying Freeway starts/Ends when the speed limit changes, but I'm assuming they changed the speed there for a good reason - probably to denote the end of the Freeway.

If so, strictly speaking you could argue that the stretch between Hendrik Potgieter and the Riverstone Bridge isn't part of the N14 and therefore you are allowed to be there but it's such a grey area because these days they don't put up signs like they used to saying where the freeway starts and ends.

I used to see big bunches in the morning on my way to Krugersdorp on that stretch - there's a nice big shoulder and they didn't really get in the way, but come to think of it, given that 94.7 is around the corner I haven't seen that many of late.  Maybe the Police have been clamping down a bit?

5 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I always thought it has to do with speed limits. In other words, if it’s 100kmh+ part of the highway then you’re not allowed.

As an example the N1 coming into Cape Town. The last section of the highway is an 80kmh speed limit and there are so many cyclists that ride that last stretch on the highway. Would this be illegal?

As another example, Du Toits kloof descent into Rawsonville is also rated at 80kmh limit. I’ve always been told that its fine to ride there as its under the speed limit.

Nothing to do with speed limits. Freeways can have limits anywhere from 80 - 120.

The N1 into town from the M5 is still a freeway and as such illegal to ride a bike on but it's full of cyclists cos it's about the only way to get in to town from the West Coast without getting stabbed.