Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

38 minutes ago, HristoZA said:

What are the current danger areas? I'm coming back home from November to Jan, and haven't been in any Whatsapp groups, i'm in Durbanville but I cycle all over.

I avoid R304 and Cloetesville (basically only enter Stellies via Polka or over Devonvale since I nearly got mugged @ R304). I also know that circle in Hout Bay is a hotspot by the police station (lol). 

Is Helshoogte safe again? It's my favourite climb and I'd hate to avoid it. 

Just be extra vigilant when climbing Hellshoogte .... "pedestrians" ..... you cross to the other side .... 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been winter and the social cyclists haven't been very active so things have quietened down a little.  It's bound to pick up once the weather improves. On Hellshoogte, just wait at the bottom until one or two riders come past and ride up in a small group rather than alone. I've never had an issue there but its so sporadic, you just never know when your number gets pulled.

The road from Stellies to the Jonkershoek gate is always a great addition to any ride 🤙

21 hours ago, HristoZA said:

What are the current danger areas? I'm coming back home from November to Jan, and haven't been in any Whatsapp groups, i'm in Durbanville but I cycle all over.

I avoid R304 and Cloetesville (basically only enter Stellies via Polka or over Devonvale since I nearly got mugged @ R304). I also know that circle in Hout Bay is a hotspot by the police station (lol). 

Gravel and mtb routes are safe

Helshoogte a bit of a hotspot, Morningstar in Durbanville also dodgy, try to avoid if you can.

Not sure what type of cycling you generally do but Durbanville nowadays have a lot of groups one can join, covers the whole range from "semi-pro" to social, great for safety and good company.

2 minutes ago, Skubarra said:

Gravel and mtb routes are safe

Helshoogte a bit of a hotspot, Morningstar in Durbanville also dodgy, try to avoid if you can.

Not sure what type of cycling you generally do but Durbanville nowadays have a lot of groups one can join, covers the whole range from "semi-pro" to social, great for safety and good company.

Correct

The one Mtb social group (not Club) has around 300 members.

Thanks guys, can anyone dm me or share here where one can find these groups. Here in Austria all the group rides are on Strava, but i dont see anything in WC on strava or any other socials.

I will likely fly my gravel bike down and ride a lot of gravel if its safer. But i also have a road bike and access to am MTB haha. 

• 1 month later...

I had a close call this morning, I almost got robbed in Bower road Wynberg at about 6ish. I was riding up the hill and a white double cab hardbody bakkie came pass, he parked on the side further up the road in a parking bay but as i came closer I saw the interior light go on then the door opened, the guy jumped out so i sprinted up the hill, the guy slipped while chasing me, i went down a side road, flagged a car down, the guys saw the car was slowing down so they went straight up towards the traffic lights, i turned around and went back down Bower road. There was also a black golf 5 at the bottom of the hill that opened his door as I was descending but the time he got out, i was pass him already. 

8 minutes ago, Arrie said:

I had a close call this morning, I almost got robbed in Bower road Wynberg at about 6ish. I was riding up the hill and a white double cab hardbody bakkie came pass, he parked on the side further up the road in a parking bay but as i came closer I saw the interior light go on then the door opened, the guy jumped out so i sprinted up the hill, the guy slipped while chasing me, i went down a side road, flagged a car down, the guys saw the car was slowing down so they went straight up towards the traffic lights, i turned around and went back down Bower road. There was also a black golf 5 at the bottom of the hill that opened his door as I was descending but the time he got out, i was pass him already. 

wow - glad you are ok. Well done for being so aware.

1 hour ago, Arrie said:

Well done, 360° vigilance wins the day.

On 9/5/2024 at 12:32 PM, HristoZA said:

Wow, I am also in the Cape over December. 

Never realised that the R304 is an issue. Normally goes either in or out of Stellies towards Bellville/Durbanville via  Bottelary or Klipheuwel.  

I would imagine R304 only an issue close to Kayamandi?

9 minutes ago, Underachiever said:

Wow, I am also in the Cape over December. 

Never realised that the R304 is an issue. Normally goes either in or out of Stellies towards Bellville/Durbanville via  Bottelary or Klipheuwel.  

I would imagine R304 only an issue close to Kayamandi?

There have been a few incidents between the Welgevonden traffic intersection and Khayamandi. There's the nursery on the inbound side of the intersection with thick bushes on the left across the road from the nursery. The perps hang around the skirt of the road opposite the nursery.

Best is to keep your eyes open and anticipate potential danger.

5 hours ago, Arrie said:

Glad that you got away, I’m keen to understand what triggered your spidey senses though? 

On 10/9/2024 at 4:42 PM, cadenceblur said:

Glad that you got away, I’m keen to understand what triggered your spidey senses though? 

When I saw the interior light go on and movement in the car, it triggered and when the door opened I already steered away to the far right and immediately went 

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Seeing photos on Watsapp of a cyclist that was killed on Joostenbergvlakte this morning. Anyone with more information?

You probably saw the same images I have. Apparently the rider "hit a cateye, lost control and ended up in front of an oncoming truck"(sic). It happened on the straight stretch of the R304 between the Kraaifontein and Bottelary turn-offs.

Terrible 😥

2 minutes ago, Mook said:

You probably saw the same images I have. Apparently the rider "hit a cateye, lost control and ended up in front of an oncoming truck"(sic). It happened on the straight stretch of the R304 between the Kraaifontein and Bottelary turn-offs.

Terrible 😥

Thanks - yes terrible news

Why would people share photos of a fatal accident on whatsapp, I'll never understand...

Just heard that a mate from Table View passed away this morning, not sure at this point if it's the same accident. This is so ******* sad... The guy already survived an almost fatal accident a few years ago and was vlogging his whole recovery.