Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

On 12/27/2023 at 12:47 PM, robbybzgo said:

The local CPF need to pull their fingers out their...*

They should organise an operation to trap the perps with SAPS. Also the local security companies operating in the area should strategically position their vehicles to either observe for perps and/or inform cyclists of an alternative route during the known hours of these muggings. Warning signage is also an option. Positioning of CCTV cameras funded by the local community/ businesses to actively monitor the hot spots.

BukeHub has a great following. It's about time the membership be used to create petitions to activate authorities to get off their )*( 's and do something about the problem.

Easier said than done..

HBAY has a active NHW, CPF and very committed and well resourced community crime prevention outfit called CCP, along with above average SSP's.

SAPS is under resourced by about 40 staff members in that station. Often they only have 3 officers on a shift at night. 2 have to be in CSC at all times, policy is 2 per vehicle to respond.  Do the math to that problem..

Numerous attempts have been made to catch the perps involving private SSP's and SAPS. All parties are actively patrolling that area at high risk times.

Reality is, you have committed and experienced totsis,  willing and able.

They sit ,wait and take opportunities when they present. It takes all of 45 seconds to move from a vantage point out of site, to striking and dissappearing back into a sea of shacks and 20 000 people.

Easy to say what should happen, not so easy to be successful in that.

Edited by McD23

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, McD23 said:

Easy to say what should happen, not so easy to be successful in that.

Maybe they should try and recruit informers (what's the expression - it takes a thief to catch a thief??). 

Is there any way that the environment there can be made more difficult for the perps to hide. Remove trees or low walls. Also add signage of warnings to cyclists or indicate no cyclists allowed 🚳 on that road (if there is an alternative route.

2 minutes ago, robbybzgo said:

Maybe they should try and recruit informers (what's the expression - it takes a thief to catch a thief??). 

Is there any way that the environment there can be made more difficult for the perps to hide. Remove trees or low walls. Also add signage of warnings to cyclists or indicate no cyclists allowed 🚳 on that road (if there is an alternative route.

I'm a Reservists at SAPS HBay, and was one of the officers that recovered the bike. We got lucky because they where moving it to sell it, after have kept it hidden since the incident. 

Without sounding condescending,  i don't think the general public has any idea how under resourced SAPS is on the ground and how in reality overwhelmed they are. And that's in WC station. Believe me when I say the saying 'thin blue line' is very appt. Support your SSP'S,  local crime fighting entities and CPF's, they will be the deciding factor between communities overun with crime and those that manage it too a tolerable level. If you think things are going to get better on the crime front, I'm afraid your naive or going to be disappointed. 

2 minutes ago, McD23 said:

Believe me when I say the saying 'thin blue line' is very appt. 

I'm with the Pinetown Central CPF and hugely aware of staff and vehicle shortages. Our stats are often in the top 30 in the country .

We are fortunate to have the buy in from about 8 local security companies who offer their services for patrolling duties and combine with SAPS for organised ops. I agree, it's an uphill battle.

54 minutes ago, McD23 said:

I'm a Reservists at SAPS HBay, and was one of the officers that recovered the bike. We got lucky because they where moving it to sell it, after have kept it hidden since the incident. 

Thanks for your dedication. My daughter and I helped the young lady on scene and took her home. I decided I was gonna be rambo and trail the perp into IY with my trailing dog. My dog took scent from the cyclist and headed in the direction he went. I got 30m in there. Shat myself and turned around. I won't be doing that again.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

McD23, appreciate your service...can't be easy

To put things in context, as a HB resident, a recent message on our HB Buzzer community app even advised against visiting the police station for admin issues (document certification etc) due to a spate of muggings/car break-ins right OUTSIDE the police station. I now use Camps Bay for such admin.

Just avoid Main Road in this area and transit via Valley Road

1 hour ago, mncowell said:

McD23, appreciate your service...can't be easy

To put things in context, as a HB resident, a recent message on our HB Buzzer community app even advised against visiting the police station for admin issues (document certification etc) due to a spate of muggings/car break-ins right OUTSIDE the police station. I now use Camps Bay for such admin.

Just avoid Main Road in this area and transit via Valley Road

I shake my head 😭

On 1/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, McD23 said:

Without sounding condescending,  i don't think the general public has any idea how under resourced SAPS is on the ground and how in reality overwhelmed they are. And that's in WC station. Believe me when I say the saying 'thin blue line' is very appt. Support your SSP'S,  local crime fighting entities and CPF's, they will be the deciding factor between communities overun with crime and those that manage it too a tolerable level. If you think things are going to get better on the crime front, I'm afraid your naive or going to be disappointed. 

Incredible that the bike got recovered. I stopped at the garage at bottom of chappies for a water bottle refill and there were some super young looking women and men constables in new looking uniforms getting something to eat there. I felt for them because they honestly looked like school kids. I thought about the scheming hard eyes that I see in some of the rough looking characters around there and the contrast with the nervous and uncertain demeanour of those youngsters.

Cyclist down at the top of Suikerbossie this morning at about 8:00.
There was a fire truck in attendance + several security guard vehicles directing traffic etc.
I could not tell if a car had been involved.

Does anyone know what happened ?

I hope that the cyclist is OK

3 minutes ago, splat said:

There was a fire truck in attendance + several security guard vehicles directing traffic etc.

Saw that, was being looked after by a few other riders when I came past. 
looked like a nasty knock to the head.

hope he is ok

On 1/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, McD23 said:

Moving it to sell it…..do you know to whom they sell it to and how they market it? Most of the criminals know where to sell the bikes. If we can stop the buyers we can stop the muggings.

2 hours ago, splat said:

Definitely no cars involved.

Freak accident by all accounts.

Group rolling off direction Chappies after having stopped and regrouped at the top of Suikerbossie when one lost control/hit something and went down.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks.

ill be going down for the CTCT a little early and be staying in Paternoster for a few days. Can any of you fine people tell me if this will be a safe route to do. I’ll be on a road bike BTW.

Cheers in advance.

IMG_0182.png

Hi All.

Saw some horrific pictures of what looks like a man attacked with a Panga possibly on Saturday in the Stellies area (Blaauwklipped Rd near Dornier).

Has the incident been reported somewhere else on bikehub before I make a double post?

48 minutes ago, NicholasT said:

Hey folks.

ill be going down for the CTCT a little early and be staying in Paternoster for a few days. Can any of you fine people tell me if this will be a safe route to do. I’ll be on a road bike BTW.

Cheers in advance.

IMG_0182.png

This route is safe. The segment from Saldanha BACK to Vredenburg is not great if cycling with the traffic. It's best to ride on the opposite site. It's a duel carriage, and going UP the hill, there is no shoulder, but on the opposite side, it's generous. It's not far, but pretty hairy riding facing the oncoming traffic that will be +80kmh, but it's a better alternative than with traffic.

20 minutes ago, FootballingCyclist said:

Hi All.

Saw some horrific pictures of what looks like a man attacked with a Panga possibly on Saturday in the Stellies area (Blaauwklipped Rd near Dornier).

Has the incident been reported somewhere else on bikehub before I make a double post?

I also saw that on one of the Stellenbosch Whatsapp groups. I ride that road very often and always thought it was a much safer alternative to the R44 heading to Somerset West. 

I have not seen any further info on the incident on Bikehub or elsewhere.