Cape Town danger areas

Evan Andreou

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I was planning on a ride at Tokai this weekend, but seems like that is no longer an option. 

I am SOOO over this kuk. I know, we all are. But sheeez, something has to give, or maybe it's time to go into that valley with a sjambok and some other means of handing out a good pakslae.

We can't let it stop us - maybe not riding solo to the mast for a while is a good idea but I still intend coming down the snakes and chickening out of the DH lines on a regular basis

1 hour ago, bjnortier said:

Yea that was me.

3 guys with knives jumped going up to the Mast in Tokai. One was in road walking up and turned and charged me with knife and tow others jumped from the bushes on the side. It was on the tar section about 1/4 on the way up.

I tried to turn and fell then they were on me, took my phone, Garmin and Varia, tools, Gilet and arm warmers I had stuffed in my pockets. Kept saying they wanted money but had nothing on me.

They slashed my tyres then ran off on the hiking trail back down to Imizamo Yethu.

Was Sky the husky your dog? Any news if the furbaby was found? 

1 minute ago, Barry said:

Was Sky the husky your dog? Any news if the furbaby was found? 

it was a different incident in another location.

3 hours ago, Mook said:

Tourists wear sandals with white socks, and talk funny ....................... AND they never tour alone. We should be raving about how beautiful Cape Town mornings are this time of year - not this type of shite.

Where is this world heading 😵

You see ALL sorts at the top of Franschhoek pass.

Often find Stellenbosch students (based on clothing and bumper stickers).  

Upcountry tourists, sometimes 2 or 3 people.

Many tourists in rental cars.  Here the numbers vary from 2 to a bus load .....

Actually interesting to just listen when you are up there .... 

It surely is just as easy to target "two tourists" as "two cyclists".

YES .... absolute BS that we even need to discuss this. :cursing:

Just now, milky4130 said:

it was a different incident in another location.

Ok I can't keep up with all that's going on just shocking.  Anyways I hope that the puppy is found soon and reunited with mom & dad

Just now, cadenceblur said:

Owner has been reunited with his dog

That is awesome news 🤗

4 hours ago, SoloCyclist said:

That poor individual appeared to be someone with a very basic bicycle, there was a post on Titanium Security’s socials with a photo showing the front end of the bike. I walk my rotties along that shoulder by Haasendal on most nights, and last night I spoke with the security regarding the incident. They have extensive cameras along the fence on Bottelary but that incident was further along opposite Koopmanskloof entrance. Most probably a poor soul on his way home after work. But nonetheless, I see many cyclists on Bottelary rd in the early evening so its not as quiet as might be perceived. I too ride this road almost daily. A couple of weeks ago there was an attempted robbery on the shoulder by Haasendal’s solar plant, they saw it on their cameras and dispatched their security who took no time to dish out some kangaroo justice to the 6 youngsters who were caught on camera. I stood there thinking: do I set the dogs free or just leave it alone. I chose the latter. I watched a healthy dose of PK’s being dished out, then carried on my merry way. Later the security guy who recognised me stopped and gave me the rundown.

IMG_4689.jpeg

IMG_4690.jpeg

Edited by gemmerbal

2 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I was planning on a ride at Tokai this weekend, but seems like that is no longer an option. 

I am SOOO over this kuk. I know, we all are. But sheeez, something has to give, or maybe it's time to go into that valley with a sjambok and some other means of handing out a good pakslae.

You will be okay on the trails, just don't go up to the mast on your own as all the muggings have effectively happened on a 100m stretch of the road that offers multiple escape routes.

There are efforts being made to make it more secure but nothing new has been put in place yet.

18 minutes ago, marko35s said:

You will be okay on the trails, just don't go up to the mast on your own as all the muggings have effectively happened on a 100m stretch of the road that offers multiple escape routes.

There are efforts being made to make it more secure but nothing new has been put in place yet.

Damn, Most weekends I ride bridal alone as it is way better than the opposite end. 

Hmm, will take a chance one day when I feel brave enough/prepared, but I aint just surrendering!!!

5 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Not many people cycling at 7:35 PM .... certainly not in winter

Wonder what the full story is here ....

Er, what?

There could be many reasons, certainly more valid ones than you have to drop a comment like that.

Considering riding with a Firearm.. But then again getting into trouble for using it defending myself.

Also would i have enough  time to draw the firearm is another concern.. 

21 hours ago, ChrisF said:

All my cycling buddies KNOW my "fiets-foon" only gets switched on the morning of the ride.

Arrangements for the ride is done on the normal phone, and the last hour they know to contact me via the pre-paid phone.

EASY in this era of just adding one more number to the WA group.

In terms of MTN:

- You MUST make a call every two weeks to keep the phone active.  (I now have a permanent reminder popping up on my home laptop every second Sunday)

- DATA ... this used to be a royal pain as it lapsed while the phone was switched off .... I do have a MTN contract, which allows me to set up a number of beneficiaries for DATA.  The prepaid phone now always has data, and the little bit I use makes no difference to my normal account.

Not sure how Vodacom and the others works with a pre-paid phone which is only used every so often.

Switch to Afrihost Airmobile. Your phone number stays active indefinitely and your balance I think only resets once a year. Data bundles last 2 months. I travel frequently and rarely use my sim overseas and my sim still works even though it is theoretically prepaid. No need to deal with using it every two weeks. 

I think a Vodacom prepaid sim needs to be inactive for 4 months before it’s deactivated. Data bundles last 30 days.