Show us your pets

tunariaan

• Replies 7.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im not sure if im imagining things. i guess it still hurts, and i kind of feel like i am to blame for stopping the cbd treatment. blame myself for her demise.

Please don't. She was dealt the cancer card, and the cbd probably enhanced her quality of life, and maybe slowed it down, but she would have died sooner or later. At 9 she had a good run.

While saying that, I'm already dreading the day that I have to greet Baloo.

Diesel quickly making himself at home in the (not yet finished) baby room.

post-82251-0-70102500-1590656625_thumb.png

Both of the dogs have become extremely clingy and protective with my wife since we found out she is pregnant. They usually lie with me on the couch, but from around 5 months pregnant they have sandwiched her in on the couch, most of the time with their heads on her stomach. Amazing how they can sense there is something on the way. 

They are also much more gentle with her than usual (my dogs have no manners, they will walk straight over your face if you're on the couch), but they no longer do that with her. They are quite careful about where they step, they don't jump up on her, etc. Here's to hoping they are as gentle with the baby. Although I think we may have some jealousy issues with the lab...

Edited by Grease_Monkey

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-05-28 at 11.01.55.png

. Here's to hoping they are as gentle with the baby. Although I think we may have some jealousy issues with the lab...

I was really worried when I brought home my son as my dogs were and still are my fur babies. Sadly we have different dogs now but still part of the family.  My male GSD was my biggest worry as he was very very close to me  but I introduced baby slowly and over a period of a few days and he was amazing with my son. He became a self appointed guard dog for this tiny little baby and would stand guard over the cot when my son was sleeping and growl at the other dogs if they came too near the cot. 

All the dogs were super gentle but also I was still realistic and aware that they were big dogs and was always present in the room and didn't let him clamber all over them when he was starting to crawl etc. When I look back at photos of my children there is always a tail or nose in the photos as well. 

I was really worried when I brought home my son as my dogs were and still are my fur babies. Sadly we have different dogs now but still part of the family.  My male GSD was my biggest worry as he was very very close to me  but I introduced baby slowly and over a period of a few days and he was amazing with my son. He became a self appointed guard dog for this tiny little baby and would stand guard over the cot when my son was sleeping and growl at the other dogs if they came too near the cot. 

All the dogs were super gentle but also I was still realistic and aware that they were big dogs and was always present in the room and didn't let him clamber all over them when he was starting to crawl etc. When I look back at photos of my children there is always a tail or nose in the photos as well. 

That's awesome, they really do become part of the family hey! Both my dogs are very young, 2 and 3 - so they will be around for a while with the baby. They are both very friendly dogs, especially with the kids they have interacted with so far. I am not particularly worried about them being aggressive (bar some concerns about the lab - she hasn't done anything to make me think she will be, it's just a feeling I have). What I am worried about is that they play rough - it's why I like big dogs, I wrestle with them, they bite my arm (not aggro bites), jump on me, etc - I wouldn't have it any other way. They play even rougher with each other. I have walked away with a few bruises and cuts from their paws after a wrestling match. I make it sound like I am running a dog fighting ring haha.

But that does mean they could hurt a child/baby unintentionally. Like you said, you have to be realistic about the fact that they are big dogs (40kg, 35kg) and that playing to them might mean an injury to a kid. So I will definitely introduce them to the baby slowly, and will definitely not leave them alone without supervision.

But I am sure they will get along with the baby very well, it's an interaction I am actually really looking forward to seeing!

on the positive side, the youngster is enjoying being an only child. i spoil him with droee wors. he also seems to have settled down since losing his "maatjie". not sure if and when i will get him a new "maatjie", maybe, just not now... i'll see i guess.

We are in the same position after our 11 year female labrador died recently

Our male Labrador, also 11 years old, seems to be enjoying the limelight and the extra attention. He always slept on the couch before and was not a dog that sought our company often.

Now he sleeps on the dog bed next to my bed and stays by my feet during the day. He is even starting to snore as loud as the female used to.

Diesel quickly making himself at home in the (not yet finished) baby room.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2020-05-28 at 11.01.55.png

Both of the dogs have become extremely clingy and protective with my wife since we found out she is pregnant. They usually lie with me on the couch, but from around 5 months pregnant they have sandwiched her in on the couch, most of the time with their heads on her stomach. Amazing how they can sense there is something on the way.

They are also much more gentle with her than usual (my dogs have no manners, they will walk straight over your face if you're on the couch), but they no longer do that with her. They are quite careful about where they step, they don't jump up on her, etc. Here's to hoping they are as gentle with the baby. Although I think we may have some jealousy issues with the lab...

Don't be surprised if they sleep next to that cot when babyface is sleeping.

Baloo is very protective off the kids (Bouviers are known for it,) and it seems that he has adopted Josh.

Baloo will play rough with me, and as soon as Josh steps in, Baloo lets him take the tug toy we were playing with and then walk meekly behind Josh as he plays with it.

Last night Josh walked into our room, waking us up. Baloo sleeps next to my bed, as soon as I jumped up, Baloo jumped in between me and Josh preventing me from picking him up until I told Baloo to stand down. Baloo promptly went back to sleep, and Josh kept us awake for the next two hours.

haha... ja look Quintus wasn't himself there for a week or 2. shame he just turned 2, so he is still young. i took him with when we put Xena to sleep, some say that is a good idea, it helps the process, im not sure if it did. but now he has become a bit more relaxed, very demanding tbh. if i ignore him he grabs me by the arm, little bastard's got some power already haha

We are in the same position after our 11 year female labrador died recently

Our male Labrador, also 11 years old, seems to be enjoying the limelight and the extra attention. He always slept on the couch before and was not a dog that sought our company often.

Now he sleeps on the dog bed next to my bed and stays by my feet during the day. He is even starting to snore as loud as the female used to.

Please don't. She was dealt the cancer card, and the cbd probably enhanced her quality of life, and maybe slowed it down, but she would have died sooner or later. At 9 she had a good run.

While saying that, I'm already dreading the day that I have to greet Baloo.

I have a friend who breeds rats (yes that's discussion for another day!) - suffice to say that these aren't your common Rattus Rattus horde, but rather pretty bloody expensive ones.  She's even imported some from Belgium and used some of them in a movie a while back.

She is absolutely convinced that the water in Tshwane contains high levels of Estrogen which was causing cancerous tumors in her colony as well as infertility amongst the males.  She has done quite a few tests to substantiate her theory and has actually installed an Ozonated water machine for her dogs and rats.  She reckons she hasn't lost a Rat to cancer since she started using pure water.

Stella at 6 months old. She is my first black Labrador, I've had yellow and chocolate ones before, but I've never had a dog with nearly as shiny a coat as Stella!  For some reason, perhaps the nice winter sun, the usual wiggly bag of eels sat still for long enough to take a few pictures!  :thumbup:

post-17716-0-58150100-1590946780_thumb.jpg

Hi All

Last week we lost our most loved 15 year old golden lab. We are desperate to get another one but cannot find any pups available. Anyone perhaps able to recommend a Registered Labrador breeder that they know of who has pups ?

Ta

Hi All

Last week we lost our most loved 15 year old golden lab. We are desperate to get another one but cannot find any pups available. Anyone perhaps able to recommend a Registered Labrador breeder that they know of who has pups ?

Ta

You'll probably be able to find the registry on the KUSA website.

@DJR has a beautiful lab pup..maybe he can point you in the right direction.

Edited by Gen

Hi All

Ta

I'll send you a pm Benjamin

So sorry to hear