MTB Tyre Choices

patches

You Can't Replace Skills with Tyres.

You will be surprised how many Try to do this.

Gravel Bike Riders are riding the same trails on (Just About Slicks).

If you are falling off also look at these points below.

Losing Concentration and not looking about 10 meters ahead.

Riding Behind and too close to someone else.

Talking K@K and riding.

Front Brakes applied while cornering.

Front Tyre Pressure too high.

Edited by dasilvarsa

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The right tire for the job does however give less skilled plonkers like myself more confidence in the bike in certain conditions though. A DHF vs Assegai up front is a major difference in front wheel predictability for someone like myself who cant really get a bike horizontal to the floor in a corner. Most people cant anyway. Yes it rolls slower…but it has more predictable grip across the tread pattern, feel is everything.  So a tire does make a difference even at lower skill levels imo. 

4 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Talking K@K and riding.

Then I must just be lucky because talking k@k is part of the fun, I definitely use front brakes in corners and riding on your buddies tyre making sounds like "hin hin" is all part of the game.🤣

I just don't think we will be able to play together because you sound way to serious about riding 😜

8 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Then I must just be lucky because talking k@k is part of the fun, I definitely use front brakes in corners and riding on your buddies tyre making sounds like "hin hin" is all part of the game.🤣

I just don't think we will be able to play together because you sound way to serious about riding 😜

Yes, I'm the Group Leader, Usually in Front.

On 5/13/2023 at 6:31 PM, dasilvarsa said:

Talking K@K and riding.

And if the rear washes out die to loose over hard. Aren't better tyres better. Like Crossmark worse than Assegai for this? 

Crossmark come stock with allot of bikes. I like them. Fast rolling on anything, but not hectic grippy at anything else. They actually not that bad, not that heavy either. Not sure why they have such a bad rap. 

10 hours ago, Theunissa said:

And if the rear washes out die to loose over hard. Aren't better tyres better. Like Crossmark worse than Assegai for this? 

Assegai has better traction but higher rolling resistance. (Lower Rolling Speed).

Slowing down a bit while cornering should reduce rear washout.

Rear Washout is not a very common cause of accidents. Feels Quite Lekker Actually.

Edited by dasilvarsa

13 hours ago, Bernard and Christell Mtb Bucket List said:

Crossmark come stock with allot of bikes. I like them. Fast rolling on anything, but not hectic grippy at anything else. They actually not that bad, not that heavy either. Not sure why they have such a bad rap. 

They have extremely poor cornering grip. But in a more upright position, they do work. I for instance prefer a tyre with better cornering grip and low rolling resistance

Edited by Eddy Gordo

On 3/25/2023 at 12:42 AM, Andreas_187 said:

Funnily enough that is the tyre i was going to try next. Do you think the 2.2 will be too narrow?

No, it’s 4mm difference measure circumferencially.. it does stand taller so there’s a final drive gearing influence and a bit more protection for your rims 

On 5/13/2023 at 8:14 PM, MORNE said:

The right tire for the job does however give less skilled plonkers like myself more confidence in the bike in certain conditions though. A DHF vs Assegai up front is a major difference in front wheel predictability for someone like myself who cant really get a bike horizontal to the floor in a corner. Most people cant anyway. Yes it rolls slower…but it has more predictable grip across the tread pattern, feel is everything.  So a tire does make a difference even at lower skill levels imo. 

Wait wait, am I the only one who prefers the DHF over the Assegai?
Personally I prefer that marginal slide before feeling the side knobs biting up properly, but you have to commit to the lean to get there, which on loose marbles over hard pack get's sketchy:ph34r:

6 hours ago, Mtree said:

Wait wait, am I the only one who prefers the DHF over the Assegai?
Personally I prefer that marginal slide before feeling the side knobs biting up properly, but you have to commit to the lean to get there, which on loose marbles over hard pack get's sketchy:ph34r:

You are obviously more skilled than I am lol. That ‘death-gap’ is very unsettling for me haha. Lean-oh-****-im-falling-GRIP!!!!-oh-I-wasnt-falling afterall

that being said…i now have a DHF on my hardtail because I had it lying around…and the ASSguy on my enduro bike, so maybe i will grow some (more) hair on my chest 😝

Edited by MORNE

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

You are obviously more skilled than I am lol. That ‘death-gap’ is very unsettling for me haha. Lean-oh-****-im-falling-GRIP!!!!-oh-I-wasnt-falling afterall

that being said…i now have a DHF on my hardtail because I had it lying around…and the ASSguy on my enduro bike, so maybe i will grow some (more) hair on my chest 😝

Not necessailry more skilled, maybe just some foolishness lol.
I couldn't get over the 'death-gap' initially, bought some property on a good number of trails thanks to this, just a matter of learning the characteristics of the tyre and learning the skills for trail riding (continous learning here)...

My preferred combo is DHF(F)/DHRII(R), super heavy set (120tpi), but works well for most things.
Hopefully the DHF works well on the hardtail, how's the shoulder healing up?

1 minute ago, Mtree said:

Not necessailry more skilled, maybe just some foolishness lol.
I couldn't get over the 'death-gap' initially, bought some property on a good number of trails thanks to this, just a matter of learning the characteristics of the tyre and learning the skills for trail riding (continous learning here)...

My preferred combo is DHF(F)/DHRII(R), super heavy set (120tpi), but works well for most things.
Hopefully the DHF works well on the hardtail, how's the shoulder healing up?

I used them on my Kawasaki.

3 hours ago, MORNE said:

I always liked the DHR on the front

Maybe I'm Stupid but those DHF DHR tyres are Heavy Slow Downhill tyres that Handle Badly.

Some 29ers Weigh more than 1.2 KGs.

Nino and I will not be fitting them to ride trails.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 11-31-12 Minion DHF.png

13 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

Maybe I'm Stupid but those DHF DHR tyres are Heavy Slow Downhill tyres that Handle Badly.

Some 29ers Weigh more than 1.2 KGs.

Nino and I will not be fitting them to ride trails.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 11-31-12 Minion DHF.png

Amen !!!