Coffee machine

Gaggia Classic and aluminium boiler machine owners, what are you guys using to descale your machines? Looking to avoid Dezcal/citric acid if I can. CPT based.

I'm no help here, but very interested as to why you wish to avoid citric acid. I ask as I'm about to descale my machine with citric acid! I have about 50kgs of the stuff!

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm no help here, but very interested as to why you wish to avoid citric acid. I ask as I'm about to descale my machine with citric acid! I have about 50kgs of the stuff!

Citric acid and aluminium do not mix well. I believe most aluminium descalers offered by brands contain lactic acid.

I've read it's probably okay to use abit of citric acid but not longer than 20 minutes. I'd like to find some local alternatives before I have to go that route.

Our new coffee machine. Really enjoying it.

These are really great and a quality bit of kit, its the start of a slippery slope! 

Citric acid and aluminium do not mix well. I believe most aluminium descalers offered by brands contain lactic acid.

I've read it's probably okay to use abit of citric acid but not longer than 20 minutes. I'd like to find some local alternatives before I have to go that route.

Thanks for confirming that. I've been using the citric acid, I'm not even sure if my machine has any aluminium parts!

These are really great and a quality bit of kit, its the start of a slippery slope!

Haha. Probably. Really enjoying it. Better coffee than some coffee shops. Worked out it will pay itself off in 3-4 months.

I have a greaf ES 85 espresso machine that is lying around, just got it back from a service, anyone interested can contact me, need to make space in the house  :wacko:  :D

my (very very) manual coffee machine. But, I get to play with power tools and fire before I can have any coffee.

Lekker man. I have the same smeg stove and a similar makita drill. 

One of the best coffees I have ever had in my life was at a Wiesenhoff 24hr race, the coffee was made was with a kettle like this on an open fire with the ground beans in a stocking/s .... it may have been a combination of lack of sleep, dehydration, exposure to the heat and some ungodly hour of the morning, but that cup was heaven.

Then again the best lamb chop I ever had was at the 24hrs of Oakvalley, shortly after crossing the finish line with a mayo and chilly sauce on the side ......... heaven.

my (very very) manual coffee machine. But, I get to play with power tools and fire before I can have any coffee.

the makita does make things a little easier.  I use mine only when people in the house is still sleeping ( I go into the garage) 

the rest of the time its manual. 

my setup is similar, except my stove is a little campingaz camp stove

• 2 weeks later...

Alright gents... 

I am looking at letting go of my Cimbali Junior, this is a one group commercial machine. It requires plumbing in! 

This machine is fully serviced and working perfectly, has an old school volumetric system which stops and starts the pump using rods in a water tank to measure the flow! 

The machine is missing a side panel, it is how I got it. I had planned on building custom panels for it but just haven't got around to it! 

This has been my home machine for a few years but I have a few projects I need to finish up... so need to move it on! 

If anyone is keen, please let me know! 

*Below is a pic from the internet!*

la-cimbali-m21.jpg

Cant ever go wrong with Makita.

That is a really cool little holder thingy to balance the Bialetti on the burner. I have used an old trivet in the past but that looks like a much neater solution.