Coffee machine

Utterly shocked by everyone suggesting Nespresso, no self respecting coffee lover should ever recommend one of these! 

I get the appeal of Nespresso (consistent and convenient) but they make average coffee at best, and if you really enjoy coffee then only a machine with a high pressure pump and porter filter will do.

Also, if you're an environmental warrior then pod machines are crazy wasteful... 

I've had 10 years success out of a Breville - built in adjustable grinder, pressure gauge, high pressure pump, built in water filter, tamper etc. 

Roughly R10k nowadays, but it's made better coffee than all but the best coffee shops/roasteries. 

Convinced several people to get them based on the price and quality of coffee I've made for them. 

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Utterly shocked by everyone suggesting Nespresso, no self respecting coffee lover should ever recommend one of these!

I get the appeal of Nespresso (consistent and convenient) but they make average coffee at best, and if you really enjoy coffee then only a machine with a high pressure pump and porter filter will do.

Also, if you're an environmental warrior then pod machines are crazy wasteful...

I've had 10 years success out of a Breville - built in adjustable grinder, pressure gauge, high pressure pump, built in water filter, tamper etc.

Roughly R10k nowadays, but it's made better coffee than all but the best coffee shops/roasteries.

Convinced several people to get them based on the price and quality of coffee I've made for them.

Welcome to 2006

Agree with you 100%.  I do have a Nespresso machine but we only use it when going away, the rest of the time, straight from the beans are the best by far.

You need new friends...

Sorry did not read complete thread. What is your fav / best beans? we are using RAW from Cape town, and Bootleggers and Woolies ( italian) but not a fan of the woolies italian beans.

de gustibus non est disputandum - in the matters of taste, there can be no dispute. 

Sorry did not read complete thread. What is your fav / best beans? we are using RAW from Cape town, and Bootleggers and Woolies ( italian) but not a fan of the woolies italian beans.

Deluxe is my go to.

I order coffee 1kg at a time and get something different each with order.

Currently, I have the Guatemala from Dirk @ Balance Coffee:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSemtphz9bo4kUuV-Z39ymLy8saLeYcTX-Q3RTpsyxK99Tw0mw/viewform 

My other favourite is Bob's Damn Fine Coffee in Kalk Bay. Very well priced, but he doesnt have much of a distribution chain.

https://localgrind.co.za/ has a reasonable selection to choose from

Holy Roller from Grind n Gears (the nerd) is pretty awesome

Deluxe is nice and well priced.

Edit:

I haven't used Bootleggers in a while, but am at their various shops often on the bike.

Store bought beans worry me from a freshness point of view.

We were in Hermanus a few weeks ago and someone pointed me towards Mikro - great suggestion!

I haven't tried RAW, so will add that to my list

Edited by splat

Have used Bob's before and enjoyed it.

Yet to try the others.

Anyone try 5ye Bespoke beans that Table Mountain MTB is selling?

I order coffee 1kg at a time and get something different each with order.

Currently, I have the Guatemala from Dirk @ Balance Coffee:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSemtphz9bo4kUuV-Z39ymLy8saLeYcTX-Q3RTpsyxK99Tw0mw/viewform 

My other favourite is Bob's Damn Fine Coffee in Kalk Bay. Very well priced, but he doesnt have much of a distribution chain.

https://localgrind.co.za/ has a reasonable selection to choose from

Holy Roller from Grind n Gears (the nerd) is pretty awesome

Deluxe is nice and well priced.

Got a bag being delivered today. It is pretty awesome.

I have all the fancy devices at home and it makes a lovely cup of any style of coffee I like.

At the office I have a small Nespresso machine. My only other choice there is the Ricoffee in the kitchen. I guess I could take a chemex or similar to the office but the mess with filters and forgetting to grind beans before work just isn’t worth it.

Perhaps get a hand grinder?

I have no idea why I haven't thought about that. 

Any recommendations? I've seen the Hario Mini-Slim at Cape Coffee for around R700. Maybe a little small for the Chemex if we go on trips away. 

I have all the fancy devices at home and it makes a lovely cup of any style of coffee I like.

At the office I have a small Nespresso machine. My only other choice there is the Ricoffee in the kitchen. I guess I could take a chemex or similar to the office but the mess with filters and forgetting to grind beans before work just isn’t worth it.

At least the Nespresso is marginally better than Ricoffee ...  :wacko: