Coffee machine

has anyone come across this machine? https://www.beanthere.co.za/shop/grinders/wega-max-5-8-instant/

i see somewhere they compared it to the kompak k3

edit - I confused it with the bigger one - but its still a good small grinder.

Original post...It's a nice grinder - big and competent... doesn't fit well under some kitchen cupboards... check dimensions before buying.

I am not sure if you can get a small hopper for it - koldserve is probably the best source of that info locally.

Edited by V12man

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think its a lot and I never bought one personally but I did read a ton of reviews about it when I was considering getting one. 

To me flavour wins so I would go for the one that produces a fuller flavour and not be upset by the sediment.

I have the standard Able filter. Best thing you can do for your Aeropress. I will never go back to paper filters.

There are some fines, but you can play around with grind, brewtime, etc and minimise them. Just remember to orient the filter the correct way up/down as this impacts how easy it is to clean.

post-37059-0-01511200-1494056516_thumb.jpg

Made an awesome cuppacino this morning.

Black Insomnia beans ground with Rhino compact handgrinder.

Used an Aeropress with Able standard metal filter.

Really enjoying the Aeropress with the Able filters.

attachicon.gifIMG_20170506_085342.jpg

Made an awesome cuppacino this morning.

Black Insomnia beans ground with Rhino compact handgrinder.

Used an Aeropress with Able standard metal filter.

Really enjoying the Aeropress with the Able filters.

that is one coffee I cannot stand, I have bought a bag that was "freshly roasted" and tasted stale from the get go. 

Some of my mates love it though! 

Before you decide on a budget... Do a quick calc of what you can save on buying coffee out... It should make sense to spend more than you originally thought....

I am a coffaholic... so for R2,500, assuming a saving of R15 per big cup (compared to a franchise, thats not an aggresive estimate)

R2,500 / R15 = 167 coffee's

For me, 3 people on house - thats 167 /3 = 55 coffees

At a conservative 2 cups a day, that like payback in 28 days!

Change it to R10,000 and its 111 days. So you can probably wisely justify spending more... And after payback... You making money!  ^_^

Before you decide on a budget... Do a quick calc of what you can save on buying coffee out... It should make sense to spend more than you originally thought....

I am a coffaholic... so for R2,500, assuming a saving of R15 per big cup (compared to a franchise, thats not an aggresive estimate)

R2,500 / R15 = 167 coffee's

For me, 3 people on house - thats 167 /3 = 55 coffees

At a conservative 2 cups a day, that like payback in 28 days!

Change it to R10,000 and its 111 days. So you can probably wisely justify spending more... And after payback... You making money! ^_^

You better add back consumables, power, milk, coffee etc...

I agree there is a payback but it's not as quick as you think.... I fancy a new monolith grinder.... 2500usd plus shipping - call it 3000usd.... roughly 45000... do a 10 year payback on that and see where it gets you :)

You better add back consumables, power, milk, coffee etc...

I agree there is a payback but it's not as quick as you think.... I fancy a new monolith grinder.... 2500usd plus shipping - call it 3000usd.... roughly 45000... do a 10 year payback on that and see where it gets you :)

You may have to factor an annoyed Mrs V12 in that amortization schedule and a cost per square meter for space in your kitchen.

edit - I confused it with the bigger one - but its still a good small grinder.

Original post...It's a nice grinder - big and competent... doesn't fit well under some kitchen cupboards... check dimensions before buying.

I am not sure if you can get a small hopper for it - koldserve is probably the best source of that info locally.

looking for a dosser less grinder. thanks for the info, will have a chat with the guys. Any other suggestions for a grinder in that price range?

looking for a dosser less grinder. thanks for the info, will have a chat with the guys. Any other suggestions for a grinder in that price range?

The wega grinders a rock solid and quite well priced. 

I was looking at Koldserv last week and they have a whole lot in stock, go chat to Sam (He rides a Pyga) and get his opinion! 

The monolith is doserless and has no hopper- designed for single dosing... but not in the wega price range

https://www.kafatek.com/index.php/store/ for those interested in espresso geekery

Edited by V12man

You may have to factor an annoyed Mrs V12 in that amortization schedule and a cost per square meter for space in your kitchen.

She has been know to deal with a Robur E..... says my coffee machines need an Altar not a coffee bar... Edited by V12man

They also have a few mahlkonings that they are getting rid of at quite a low price

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would it be possible ordering a Grinder from the US, i am looking at the baratza sette 270 range. i know moreflavour brings it in, but it is scares at the moment apparently. Would the power supply be an issue?

I bought it from takealot on special at R6k which I feel was fairly cheap.

The machine is actually a lot better than I expected, solid construction and it produces a much better coffee than I expected.

I still need to get everything dialled in just right but out of the box it was already very good.

Thanks man!

Would it be possible ordering a Grinder from the US, i am looking at the baratza sette 270 range. i know moreflavour brings it in, but it is scares at the moment apparently. Would the power supply be an issue?

Yes- converting from 110 volt is not something you want to do - doable at a cost but not a good plan - you will struggle to sell it for anything near it's cost.

you can get a transformer for grinder and bobs your uncle. Think it's like R450 thereabouts. A buddy went that route with his.