Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

Nope. It's 2.9kg. Above a Pike / Lyrik that's ~800g.

And yeah, Cap - I can believe that. Funny that it's taken this long for the air forks to catch up to a 10yo coil fork. ????

That Marzocchi is a marvel of it's time,

While the modern forks are only now catching up in ride feel (not all of them are there yet,) the newer forks are ahead in other areas. Ie weight.

An ideal fork would have the small bump munchies of your 66, have ramp control and travel adjust like the Ribbon, weigh as little as a 34, and be as stiff as a Lyrik.

Personally I'd rather have my Pike that weighs 1.8k, as it lives on a bike that I go out on big days with. The Dual Position air means I can pick travel for the piece of trail I'm riding or to drop the bikes front to make climbing easier.

I think it is a case of picking your battles. But as Capricorn is showing, the lines are becoming blurred.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not one to punt the gear that I have and I've got it on test so technically I don't own one of these yet. And saddles are highly personal. BUT!

This saddle is the best saddle I've EVER used. Did 105km on the roadie yesterday and my backside isn't even remotely sore today. Nothing. As soon as I have the cash (It's been an expensive month) I'm getting one for the roadie and one for the Jeffsy.

I think as MTB guys we tend to focus on suspension and braking (Well I do) but you spend 90% of your time on your arse on the saddle. It may as well be a good one. This is their take on the Spez Power saddle. And the guys that have those swear by them.

post-83454-0-37146700-1537163129_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duane_Bosch

My bad. I thought it was 1.6kg.

It's interesting to see how people are "aiming" their bike builds in this "enduro" segment. You're obviously going for a big hit bike with the big fork, coil and big brakes when then others are going for almost a xc type spec.

Yeah, man. I figure that I want it to be tough AF, cos I ride like an idiot. And not a talented one, either! Plus, I have more weight to lose on my own body than on the bike, and the weight on my body is a shitton cheaper to lose as well!

Anyway. This is she, at the moment. Ready for Ezel. 

post-3056-0-57455000-1537164109_thumb.jpg

I'm not one to punt the gear that I have and I've got it on test so technically I don't own one of these yet. And saddles are highly personal. BUT!

This saddle is the best saddle I've EVER used. Did 105km on the roadie yesterday and my backside isn't even remotely sore today. Nothing. As soon as I have the cash (It's been an expensive month) I'm getting one for the roadie and one for the Jeffsy.

I think as MTB guys we tend to focus on suspension and braking (Well I do) but you spend 90% of your time on your arse on the saddle. It may as well be a good one. This is their take on the Spez Power saddle. And the guys that have those swear by them.

attachicon.gifSAN MARCO-Shortfit-Dynamic-Open-2018-nero_3396.jpg

Dude, a comfortable saddle is key. Had that Fizik on there, but it just didn't gel with my rear end, so I switched back to the WTB, which is suiting me just fine. 

Most comfortable saddle I've ridden on to date has been this one. Selle Italia Superflow. Was on Iwan's old Ibis. Then, this cheap job, from Dartmoor. Was on my old reign x when it got nicked. 

SLR-SuperFlow-L-top.jpg

79060_00_c.jpg

What's that shock on there? And what rear tire?

Dirt bikes like to be clean!

Interesting to see the bottle EASILY fitting in to the frame. Mine took a bottle but I put velcro on the bottom side of the top tube cos the bottle used to rattle against the top tube. Drove me NUTS!

Edited by Duane_Bosch

My bad. I thought it was 1.6kg.

It's interesting to see how people are "aiming" their bike builds in this "enduro" segment. You're obviously going for a big hit bike with the big fork, coil and big brakes when then others are going for almost a xc type spec.

True. I think "Enduro" is pretty wide ito what bike you need to race it with.

You see it in the EWS races as well. People racing 140mm bikes next to others racing 170mm bikes.

Same endgoal, different strong points.

That Marzocchi is a marvel of it's time,

While the modern forks are only now catching up in ride feel (not all of them are there yet,) the newer forks are ahead in other areas. Ie weight.

An ideal fork would have the small bump munchies of your 66, have ramp control and travel adjust like the Ribbon, weigh as little as a 34, and be as stiff as a Lyrik.

Personally I'd rather have my Pike that weighs 1.8k, as it lives on a bike that I go out on big days with. The Dual Position air means I can pick travel for the piece of trail I'm riding or to drop the bikes front to make climbing easier.

I think it is a case of picking your battles. But as Capricorn is showing, the lines are becoming blurred.

That dual position Pike works nicely. Definitely something I'd consider on a bike like the new Stumpy ST, to have a nippy playful bike on mellower trails, or raise the travel when you're going to hit some steeper gradients.

True. I think "Enduro" is pretty wide ito what bike you need to race it with.

You see it in the EWS races as well. People racing 140mm bikes next to others racing 170mm bikes.

Same endgoal, different strong points.

It's like a reverse mullet. Business at the back, party at the front.

I think it's also got to do with having fresher legs, and a more responsive bike when you have a lot of pedal sections, and having a burly front end to take care of most of the impact.

What's that shock on there? And what rear tire?

Dirt bikes like to be clean!

Interesting to see the bottle EASILY fitting in to the frame. Mine took a bottle but I put velcro on the bottom side of the top tube cos the bottle used to rattle against the top tube. Drove me NUTS!

CCDB Inline Coil CS. Just put it on, and sprayed the coil orange (didn't cure lekker, will have to re-do it / touch it up in the future)

Tyre is a 2.6 Slaughter GRID. Love that thing. Only time I've wished for more tyre is in the Glen after it'd rained a crapload and we were riding it in the rain as well. That, and Status Quo in Jonkers, again after a massive rain. 

Oh, and I keep the drivetrain and suspension clean. The rest can be brushed off. This was after a "broduro" on TM when it was just crazy muddy. Haven't cleaned it since as I've been away and not riding as much as I'd want to. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Anyone on here run schwalbe evo snake skin tyres on the front ?

Got A hans dampf that looks quite badass and im wondering if anyone recons it will work.

I run exo casing up here in gauteng and they have been holding up ( dumb luck ? )

Back will be super gravity casing

yeah, I have. No problems unless you're really hard on the front end, and like to give it to the rocks on the way down.... Then maybe an SG could be warranted, but IMO not. I've gone to an SG at the front now, but I will go back to Exo+ when it launches, and Snakeskin if it's schwalbe. 

For the first time in almost ever I liked my Butcher Grid up front. It was at JH on some decently steep trails which also made my big bike feel quite appropriate. I think the difference is that in a race you push a bit harder the increased speed into corners can lead to greater grip (or not as the case may be. I have also mastered getting over the front a bit better). The steeper trails also weight the front tyre nicely. 

One other piece of gear I will be saving up for is a 170mm dropper post.There is nothing worse than attempting a steep and bumpy trail with the lowered seat in the way. 

Hi Guys

I want to throw some ideas around with regards to a one bike quiver or getting a CX and a Trail bike. (I'll build a fun HT with spare parts and the parts I end up replacing on what will become my trailbike)

If I go for the 1 bike quiver, 

I'm going to build up a second wheelset because I'm busy ruining my WTB KOM23 set. 

They are built on some nice lightweight hubs and grippy 2.25'' tires. The idea is to swap them out depending on which riding I will be doing. 

I'm not a bike abuser but I'm dinging my current underweight rear wheel up pretty badly at the moment, and I think the 2.25's I'm running are about as wide as I can go without having tire rolling issues again. 

There are a couple of 26-29mm rim options at about 460-480 grams, which is light, will handle 2.4''tires and should make all round riding much more comfortable (I hope to be using these wheels most of the time. Kind of like the Lynne AMP 30, STANS ARCH MK 3 etc..)

However, since I will have a lightweight wheelset, I don't want to go to light and end up dinging up my "though" wheels anyway. 

Does anyone have experience with similar products? Are they hard enough or should I be looking at the ZTR FLOW kind of tough.