How long does it take you to get back in the "grove"?

breaker

My question is aimed at not just cycling but any sport for that matter.

So lets say you have not been cycling/swimming/running due to a break or illness or whatever. After getting over that first session(of hell in my case), how long do you feel before you've reached your normal level of fitness/rhythm again.

I guess for me it is age but I feel that its taking longer and longer for me to get back in the grove and quicker to loose "it". Lets say 11/2 to 2 weeks of not doing something and I feel I need to take 2-3 weeks just to get back again (2-3 times per week)

Edited by breaker

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

it depends what you recovering from? my knee injury required a slow nurturing process and after 6 months I'm really only starting to pick up speed and climb better.

normally, if I'm out for 1 or 2 weeks, a nice long ride normally gives my system a shock and the next ride i'm back on 'form'.

however, I ride 4-5 times per week.

once I was off the bike for a month and it took as much time to get back to where I was the month before.

then you get okes who never cycled or trained for a long time and get on the bike/court and ride/play like they were training whole week, the p me off!

I apologise for the highjack, but I found it impossible to resist that set-up.

Edited by Blackbeard

Same here

Take a month off and it will take about 2 weeks to get back up to where I left off, almost.

Problem is that I never quite get to where I want to before I take the time off - damn this work/family thing that gets in the way :(

My question is aimed at not just cycling but any sport for that matter.

So lets say you have not been cycling/swimming/running due to a break or illness or whatever. After getting over that first session(of hell in my case), how long do you feel before you've reached your normal level of fitness/rhythm again.

I guess for me it is age but I feel that its taking longer and longer for me to get back in the grove and quicker to loose "it". Lets say 11/2 to 2 weeks of not doing something and I feel I need to take 2-3 weeks just to get back again (2-3 times per week)

Never really kept track of the time taken, but i'd hazard a guess that it takes longer than most people would think and is dependent on actual person / situation / age. Listen to your body and rather do to little than to much to soon.

I was out of the game for 5 years - various reasons. I have had +/- 2months to train for the 94.7 and I was absolutely shattered. So in my case - more than 2 months.

Do something for 21 days (3 weeks) and its habit (or groove/grove) ;)

though you may not be at the fitness level you were.. has to be said

A very open ended question that.... How long is a piece of string? Could take a few weeks to a few months depending on what condition you were in when you stopped, what you did when you were off, why you stopped, how long you were off for, what you plan on doing to get back in shape....? Too many variables.

All depends on how much you did actually lose as to when you will be back in the groove.

torn meniscus how long will i be off????

what type of grove do you want to get into when it heals?

I think it depends on your condition before the lay off.

I usually ride about 1000km per month, then suffered a serious back injury and was pretty much off the bike for 4 months, and only did about 500k's of very easy riding in the entire 4 month period.

After recovery, I built up my training over a 3 month period, and now back to 1000k's per month and racing again.

It's different for everybody, and definitely age dependent imo. I'm not a youngster any more, so it will probably be quicker for a young person.

Edited by Falco

A very open ended question that.... How long is a piece of string? Could take a few weeks to a few months depending on what condition you were in when you stopped, what you did when you were off, why you stopped, how long you were off for, what you plan on doing to get back in shape....? Too many variables.

All depends on how much you did actually lose as to when you will be back in the groove.

Absolutely, it depends on a whole bunch of variables. But overtime has it changed much? I would expect it to due to age, but some people get stronger with age.

As someone said before, to those people who stay away for a while then come back as if nothing happened - yor I curse you :whistling: I can only wish.

On that note and similar question, how long before your skills is back up to scatch?

I'm a newbie at cycling so not sure how much skill is needed and/or lost, but looking at sports like tennis/squash/rugby etc where there is a definite fitness and skills requirement. This however is where natural talent has a huge impact i suppose.