Why so many Saturday MTB races

steve61

With so many people working on Saturdays, why is it that more and more mtb races seem to take place on Saturday.... surely Sunday is a much better option ... comment from race organisers would be most welcome!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

With so many people working on Saturdays, why is it that more and more mtb races seem to take place on Saturday.... surely Sunday is a much better option ... comment from race organisers would be most welcome!!

Road races are generally on Sundays and most want to do both

I prefer Saturday racing...then I have the rest of the weekend for myself.

I think reason for Saturday MTB races is that you do not get traffic so hosting it on that day gives the organisers a Sunday off and give cyclists the option to race both. (If you host a MTB and Road race on the same day thehub guys would moan why they not split it up because the one messes with the other ones territory(gravel/road))

Road races mostly on Sunday's because of traffic...

Some races like Serengeti, Emperor's have MTB sat and Road Sun, the exception is Sun City who have road sat and MTB sun.

I also prefer Saturday races since it gives one the opportunity to plan an entire weekend around the race with your mates

You’d arrive early on the Saturday morning (or even book accommodation at the race venue) complete the race, have a long boozy lunch followed by a looooong boozy braai

The next morning you have a quick social ride to shake the last of the hangover following by breakfast where after you spazz out on the couch for the rest of the day

I don't do many races as it is getting to be a very expensive endeavour - on average probably about 10 per year. I do prefer the Saturday races as it does not encroach on church time. Therefore I will limit the races I do on a Sunday in favour of Saturday ones as far as possible. I don't want this to turn into a religious debate and I understand why people would rather participate in races on a Sunday, but for this is the reason I prefer Saturdays and am enjoying the fact that there are more races on a Saturday - especially MTB ones.

I prefer Saturday races. I don't work on Saturdays, but even when I did, I preferred the Saturday races. :thumbup:

Sundays is there for relaxing, but I will do Sunday races as well.

I do prefer the Saturday races as it does not encroach on church time. Therefore I will limit the races I do on a Sunday in favour of Saturday ones as far as possible. I don't want this to turn into a religious debate.

church on sunday.

Back in the day, all the Pretoria road races were on a Sat afternoon, I think for this reason.

I enjoy going to Greek Church on Sundays.... :whistling:

But ya... to stop trolling.... my missus works on Saturdays (and so I'm with the kids) and it would be great to see a few more Sunday MTB events this year - we could both partake and bring the kids along.

I also prefer Saturdays, not that I do many events.

And sundays are for either long chill rides or napping infront of the tellie.