Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

as far as I know a cyclist is entitled to the entire lane, I speak under correction, so please correct if I'm wrong? So although 2 abreast is illegal, if a single bike was to take up the entire lane i.e. no room to over take then what are you left with? Stay behind him at bikes pace or overtake when safe to do so whilst adhering to the 1m bylaw not 1,5m? Thoughts?

True. You are entitled to the lane. If there are two lanes, I have no problem riding in the middle of the left lane to avoid car doors, pedestrians, dog walkers etc and to make myself more visible. Cars have more than enough space to overtake safely. Those that try to squeeze past regardless are the ones breaking the law.

Of course, in peak hour traffic, a little common sense is needed and I try make space when safe to do so.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is many reasons why those kids got beatten .... an many reasons why cyclist are acting out the way they are many has been knocked over an killed many have been mugged by guys in vans ... So this happend for a reason . the guy taking this clip has his own understanding of what happened but did he get out of his car an ask WHY !!!! does not seem so . to me it seem watching that clip it shows the guy in the car throwing the first punch but what happened before the clip me an you an the guy taking the clip will never No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes we will know. All those present can give eye-witness affidavits of what happened and then testify under oath in a criminal court. They can of course lie but perjury is also a criminal offense. Chances are the prosecutors offer some of the cyclist witnesses amnesty from possible prosecution for giving their evidence against their cyclist 'mates'.

Too many witnesses, too much risk for all concerned so yes the truth will out. Good luck - you're going to need it!

Totally uncalled for, those dicks don't deserve to ride bicycles.......total thugs. an absolute embarrassment.

There is many reasons why those kids got beatten .... an many reasons why cyclist are acting out the way they are many has been knocked over an killed many have been mugged by guys in vans ... So this happend for a reason . the guy taking this clip has his own understanding of what happened but did he get out of his car an ask WHY !!!! does not seem so . to me it seem watching that clip it shows the guy in the car throwing the first punch but what happened before the clip me an you an the guy taking the clip will never No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fantastic logic you have here, "let me get out my car and ask what's going on, I haven't been attacked by a mob in over a week now, I am having withdrawal symptoms"

They should be moved to a zoo where Darwin can smile at them from his place of rest

I am going to guess that he might have evolved and became one of the creatures we see on the video.

Jussie but okes on those skinny wheels get wound up easily. Like a pack of rabid dogs.

They need some knobblies and a bit of dirt to chillout and enjoy the ride

Wouldn't work. They'd be the strava lot yelling "track" on the spruit and terrorising the joggers and dog walkers. Arseholes are aresholes.

Fantastic logic you have here, "let me get out my car and ask what's going on, I haven't been attacked by a mob in over a week now, I am having withdrawal symptoms"

I also love the way that "guys in vans" is quite acceptable as a group that they can hate on... remind me never to buy a van, just in case I come across one of these people.

muhammadeyah cycling club: "Mu-hammered" him with my bike until he went "EYAH."

Shocking and disgusting, regardless of provocation.

as far as I know a cyclist is entitled to the entire lane, I speak under correction, so please correct if I'm wrong? So although 2 abreast is illegal, if a single bike was to take up the entire lane i.e. no room to over take then what are you left with? Stay behind him at bikes pace or overtake when safe to do so whilst adhering to the 1m bylaw not 1,5m? Thoughts?

I don't know whether you are correct or not. What I was pointing out is that firstly it is very common for cyclists to ride 2 abreast along Sea Point Beach Road (which should certainly not be done), secondly that if you try and point this out to them you open yourself to a deluge of abuse, and thirdly that hardly any groups obey the traffic lights along that section which is of course also wrong.

I would expect it to be common courtesy for a single bike to not take up the entire left lane.

Oh Dear... Your first post on the Hub is to try and defend these thugs?

Perhaps you should point out which one of the people in the video is you.

There is a clear eye witness account (from an unrelated party) of what happened prior to the video, and no justification can make what happened acceptable.

Do tell more.

So what is your take on this? Last week in another thread when I asked another hubber what kind of advice is "just moer him" you chose to attack me on that post.

Can you now see why that advice here is stupid?

Wasn't the merits of what you said but rather the way you said it.

That observation went sailing clean over your head.

Anyway let's focus on the topic at hand, unless you keen to hog the spot light with your issues?

Do tell more.

Well...if you go back to the beginning of this thread and read the eye witness account, you will find...

...an eye witness account! :whistling:

Edited by nolipoli

Muhammadeyah Cycling Club AS WE KNOW YOU MIGHT HAVE WITNESSED THE TAIL END OF THE INCIDENT, WE WOULD HAVE APPRECIATED A MORE CONCISE VERSION OF THE EVENTS LEADING UP TO THIS POINT, AS NOW IT APPEARS AS IF THE CYCLISTS HAD NO REASONING FOR THIS RETALIATION YET THEY WERE ULTIMATELY THE VICTIMS OF THIS PARTICULAR INCIDENT. IT ALSO SEEMS THAT THIS VERSION IS NOW MAKING ITS ROUNDS ON THE INTERNET WITHOUT PROPER INVESTIGATION, SO TYPICAL UNFORTUNATELY.

"Ultimately the victims" ????? wtf

Small h - it's in the original post. That's a full eyewitness account with corroborative video evidence

i think the OP should be blind FRIENDLY LOTS OF THIS COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED :blush: