Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

From the Cycle Tour website:

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust condemn in the strongest possible terms the incident that occurred in the early hours of Sunday morning. The kind of behavior displayed is totally unacceptable. The Trust will be working together with the Pedal Power Association to identify those involved, following which the names will be forwarded to the authorities for a formal investigation, the outcome of which will determine the consequences for those involved.

I will repeat my post on page 1 that these thugs deserve no place in our sport, no matter what provocation they will claim.

Nice!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I the only one who can't see the robots in the video?

Yeah, and the eye-witness version also makes no mention of robots. ( I know all the ones trying to discredit the witness, but his story and footage did get presented to the police, so I'd not be so quick to call scam)

I think in politics they call it "Spin"

But it could just as well also be the "truth" - you and I sadly don't know??

Regardless, the mob justice is not on... but it will be interesting to find out the "truth" or at least hear both sides of the story and make up our own minds. I personally have never felt the urge to stop and assualt a motorist who was simply illegally parked, but that's just me.

Fantastic logic you have here, "let me get out my car and ask what's going on, I haven't been attacked by a mob in over a week now, I am having withdrawal symptoms"

muhammadeyah cycling club: "Mu-hammered" him with my bike until he went "EYAH."

Shocking and disgusting, regardless of provocation.

PS: Is Dips the chairman of Muhammadeyah Cycling Club :whistling:

BWAHAHAH ... thugs in lycra :whistling:

Gangsters paradise :wacko:

I don't know whether you are correct or not. What I was pointing out is that firstly it is very common for cyclists to ride 2 abreast along Sea Point Beach Road (which should certainly not be done), secondly that if you try and point this out to them you open yourself to a deluge of abuse, and thirdly that hardly any groups obey the traffic lights along that section which is of course also wrong.

I would expect it to be common courtesy for a single bike to not take up the entire left lane.

i would also expect it to be common courtesy that a motorised vehicle not try & force his/her way past a single vehicle (bike) in a single lane with less than 2mm space, when there is a right lane to use for overtaking purposes. Problem is motorist have gotten so use to cyclist giving them enough space in a single lane to past that they've come to expect it & sometimes demand it. I think motorist need to be educated more that a cyclist is entitled to the entire lane.

Provocation does add a different context to the cyclists' behavior.

Still does not justify the Mob Justice on display here.

Reading their facebook page it seems this was in reaction to being pelted with things while riding... water sachets etc

Well they cyclists..maybe they thought they hungry ,.. thought throadies lived on sachets :o

Hat,coat .. no seriously .. bunch of thugs

Edited by 2Nutz

I disagree. Provocation is neither a legal nor moral defence. Have another look at that video and decide whether that is the appropriate response to having a water sachet thrown at you.

If is was the driver, i would've ran over their bikes. fkn @ssholes

i get your sentiment and to be honest this was my first thought too, but this is exactly why this kind of thing happens.

violence does not solve violence

Come on 'Dale, I cannot think of any event where this behavior is justified in the civilised world.

Don't try justify this disgusting, pathetic and cowardly act.

My group passed these guys on Sunday, well before this event and they most certainly were not riding in a considerate and orderly manner, even then. Luckily they were much slower than us so we didn't see them again.

I disagree. Provocation is neither a legal nor moral defence. Have another look at that video and decide whether that is the appropriate response to having a water sachet thrown at you.

provocation is a defence in certain circumstances