Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

What I don't get is why those guys were on the tarmac in Camps Bay and not the single track in Klapmuts... If you really are so fond of all things Argus then that is where you should have been.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From the Cycle Tour website:

The Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust condemn in the strongest possible terms the incident that occurred in the early hours of Sunday morning. The kind of behavior displayed is totally unacceptable. The Trust will be working together with the Pedal Power Association to identify those involved, following which the names will be forwarded to the authorities for a formal investigation, the outcome of which will determine the consequences for those involved.

I will repeat my post on page 1 that these thugs deserve no place in our sport, no matter what provocation they will claim.

NICE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Die Cape Town Cycle Tour Trust het na die game toe gekom!!! Die gaan fun wees!!!! Bring the popcorn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:

In the past I have also been involved in an incident with a motorist which escalated very quickly. I always think back and wonder how bad things could have gone that day for both parties. It is very difficult to understand or even justify what happens in incidents like these but I think we all know how bad things can get very quickly.

I have been a cyclist in Cape Town for over 15 years and have ridden this route thousands of times, in that time I have chatted to many cyclists from all walks of life and I think we all have more in common than we sometimes choose to admit. I do not think cyclist are “ gangsters “, I think many of us take up this sport to avoid these type of situations. This I think is an instance that was handled very badly by the cyclists, I do believe there is more that we are not seeing on this tape.

I think all our clubs and groups should get involved to help train the cyclists out there how to respond to this and other incidents out there.

Look at situation we saw on the video (and irrespective of what preceded the incident): the occupant of a motor vehicle was physically attacked by a large number of very aggressive cyclists. In the circumstances, the occupant could have legally defended himself forcefully. Had be been armed and inclined to use his firearm, the situation could have been very ugly.

Edited by Blackbeard

i would also expect it to be common courtesy that a motorised vehicle not try & force his/her way past a single vehicle (bike) in a single lane with less than 2mm space, when there is a right lane to use for overtaking purposes. Problem is motorist have gotten so use to cyclist giving them enough space in a single lane to past that they've come to expect it & sometimes demand it. I think motorist need to be educated more that a cyclist is entitled to the entire lane.

Of course you are correct in what you're saying.

My comments are very specific to the Sea Point area because I live here and cycle and drive Beach Road every day. What I have noticed with regards to the Sea Point area and specifically Beach Road is that motorist behaviour has actually improved. Motorists for the most part will move over to the right hand lane when passing and provide plenty of space when overtaking. They also seem to understand that its Argus time of the year and that there will be more cyclists on the road. You must remember that its a hell of a busy road and we also now have MyCiti bus on it as well so when they stop they also take up the whole left hand lane.

Unfortunately cyclist behaviour has got worse. There is definitely more 2 abreast riding, definitely more abuse, and more disregard for the rules of the road. I don't know why this is but in my opinion and experience motorist behaviour has improved, but cyclist behaviour has become really bad, and hence my first comment why I was not suprised at the incident over the weekend.

provocation is a defence in certain circumstances

Not legally. Can only be used in mitigation of sentence.

Edited by Blackbeard

Beng hit by a water sachet (if even true) deary me, how traumatic.

Mob justice is meant for spineless cowards- let the law take its course, but if found guilty ban the lot from racing again.

Good luck to the next cyclest getting into this vans way!

Nicely done you bunch of chops!!

Not legally. Can only be used in mitigation of sentence.

Only legal if it constitutes self defense, retribution is what we have here; not the same thing.

because they coloured guys we say they gangsters ... what if they had been white

They would be wangsters.

or even worse magenta :unsure:

Edited by 2Nutz

Beng hit by a water sachet (if even true) deary me, how traumatic.

Mob justice is meant for spineless cowards- let the law take its course, but if found guilty ban the lot from racing again.

Good luck to the next cyclest getting into this vans way!

Nicely done you bunch of chops!!

Not just this one van. Pretty much every motorist who sees or probably even hears about this video is going to be a lot more aggressive to us in future.

And non-cyclists are sharing it on my page. Well done thugs

The original post has 3.5k shares and been shared on many other pages since.

provocation is a defence in certain circumstances

Correct, in English Law, provocation is a defense in a murder case. If successful, perpetrator may be found guilty of manslaughter. As SA criminal law is not codified, we rely on common law. Thus English Law may be applicable. See also case of Chretien, 1981... my input for the day, NOT AT ALL condoning the actions (or reactions if you want) of these scumbag-angry-douchie roadies in the video).

Has anybody noticed that the majority of these louts are all youngsters, with the exception of the League rider that tried to push his bike through the drivers window.

See the comment on their FB page. I registered to post this. I'm not a cyclist, but a road user in CT and it's not a good time for you (cycling as a collective). Last week I witnessed a cyclist abusing a woman in a car for over a block in Muizenberg, screaming in her window while swerving all over the road. Yesterday St James road was a nightmare with cyclists suddenly going from single-file to three abreast for no apparent reason and skipping red lights. None of this gives you guys a good name.

post-56038-0-08550700-1393844866_thumb.jpg

Edited by proze_za