Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

As usual it takes only a few individuals to tarnish the image of an entire community.

For me the Argus is a sad time of the year as it brings out the most unwanted cyclists into public view. The best part about next week is that most of these guys crawl back under their rocks for the next 11 months.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a major cause of the issues we face of this nature have to do with a total lack of enforcement of any laws that do not pertain to the collection of income tax, but in this case it's road rules.

A large proportion of drivers (of cars, taxis, motorbikes, bicycles, wheelchairs and shopping trolleys) do whatever they like on the roads, first and foremost because they have no consideration for anyone but themselves, and secondly because they know that there's almost no chance that they will be taken to task. The traffic department is more concerned with matching the inflation of speeding fines to the inflation of doughnuts that they are with maintaining law and order on the roads.

The result is frustration - cyclists ride 4 abreast on narrow roads, motorists jump traffic lights while on their phones, taxis drive on the wrong side of the road (or pavement) to beat traffic - all knowing that there will never be consequences to be faced from the law.

The next logical step is vigilantism - kangaroo courts form and dish out their version of justice to offenders - and the one guy that gets caught, most likely for the most trivial "offence", will pay for all those that have gone before him.

I'm not in any way condoning the behaviour here - if anything I applaud the delivery oke for not running them all over. If some p*ephol had tried to shove a bike in my window I'd have done my very best to insert it somewhere where a good surgeon would have had a hell of a time removing it. I also unfortunately don't have a solution to it all, aside from maybe taking all that frustration out on the next traffic cop you see either not doing his job, or as more often happens, breaking more laws than the average taxi.

But I guess what I'm trying to say is that idiots will be idiots. The best thing to do is to just ignore them, and hope that Darwin sorts them out. They're really not worth getting your blood pressure up over.

(That said, if you do find one out alone on a dark night and you happen to have a shovel on you...)

This is a bit OT, but where I ride there is no walking and when we get to single-track it is breakneck speed all the way. :thumbup:

break neck? I can just imagine. probably more like brake neck Edited by MTBeer

This is a bit OT, but where I ride there is no walking and when we get to single-track it is breakneck speed all the way. :thumbup:

People's perception of speed differs. What seems to be neckbreak speed to you might feel pedestrian to others :-D

People's perception of speed differs. What seems to be neckbreak speed to you might feel pedestrian to others :-D

Sjoh! Ja I have seen those guys that ride and they have flames coming out their wheels. Now that is vinnig my bru ek sê.

We also don't need to entertain idiot comments like is either. There were some unruly behavior deal with it on it's own merit and take action against the responsible parties once a full investigation occurs.

The idiot comment was made by me, and is in reference to the so called President of the guilty club saying it was fine cause his cyclists were provoked, now if your okay with that behavior and letting a person who should lead by example state this on any form of site, then i am ashamed to be a cyclist cause one fools comment paints all of us cyclists as dim whited road obnoxious fools, now i am not one of those fools and im sure neither are you, surely our Club Presidents should set examples and lead and teach correctly, my comment to close the club is made cause what else will his "people" do to endanger all of us at the end of the day. Signed proud idiot speaking the truth like everyone wants to but may be holding back cause it cause a discomfort, and a "Beating" excuse the pun.

and anyone who calls themself a mountainbiker doesn't take part in commercial mass-participation let's all walk the single-track because we can't ride over a rock events. just saying.

This is complete unnecessary... why antagonise people who probably ride alongside you any other day, for no apparent logical reason?

If anything keep it limited to road vs offroad :P mountain bikers should not become their own enemies.

As usual it takes only a few individuals to tarnish the image of an entire community.

For me the Argus is a sad time of the year as it brings out the most unwanted cyclists into public view. The best part about next week is that most of these guys crawl back under their rocks for the next 11 months.

So true. I have been cycling for years but stopped doing the Argus about 4 years ago. This time of year I avoid cycling the Cape Town /Camps Bay area.

So true. I have been cycling for years but stopped doing the Argus about 4 years ago. This time of year I avoid cycling the Cape Town /Camps Bay area.

WELL IF TWITTER AND VLEISBOOK SAYS SO :ph34r: :ph34r:

People are generally a bit more mature there, and they also speak and say it as it is.

People are generally a bit more mature there, and they also speak and say it as it is.

COOL STORY BRO

This is complete unnecessary... why antagonise people who probably ride alongside you any other day, for no apparent logical reason?

If anything keep it limited to road vs offroad :P mountain bikers should not become their own enemies.

relax old chap. I was just taking the p!ss because of his post about real cyclists.

https://www.facebook.com/mc2cycling

Just posted on their facebook wall:

"MC2 SOCIAL AWARENESS MESSAGE

MC2 EXPRESSES ITS SINCEREST CONCERN, AT THE VIDEO CLIP THAT IS BEING FILTERED AROUND. WE THANK THE PERSON/PERSONS WHO BROUGHT THE INCIDENT TO OUR ATTENTION.

WE ARE CURRENTLY LIAISING WITH THE RELEVANT PARTIES, AND INVESTIGATING THE MATTER.

WE THANK ALL THE MEMBERS OF THE PUBLIC FOR THEIR OPINIONS AND, WILL IN THE INTEREST OF THE SPORT OF CYCLING AND ROAD SAFETY, INVESTIGATE AND REPORT TO ALL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.

AS IN OUR CONSTITUTION: "WE PROMOTE AND DEFINITELY IMPRESS UPON RESPECT FOR OTHERS AND SAFE CYCLING.

THIS MATTER WILL RECEIVE OUR IMMEDIATE ATTENTION!"

and in CAP locks, let me rather keep quiet before tared and feathered,

relax old chap. I was just taking the p!ss because of his post about real cyclists.

I had a feeling, although seriously wasnt sure with everything thats been said over the last few months on this forum :P