Shocking incident between van driver and cyclists in Camps Bay

Surv0MTB

Absolutely.

Its not a race issue its an idiot issue.

...and idiocracy is not selective about which race it attracts!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice song on the radio--have a nice day

Cause you had a bad day, you're taking one down

You sing a sad song just to turn it around

You say you don't know, you tell me don't lie

You work on a smile and you go for a ride

need I say more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Very little remorse from the club. One guy writes on their facebook page:

The problem is most cycles are easy targets,,,but today unfortunately a few guys was thought a big lesson,,don't mess with mc2 riders,,,,,

No wonder cyclists have a bad reputation. Cycling in South Africa just became even more dangerous.

Most likely because the club were standing 3/4 abreast in front of the eye-witness' car?

edit: sp

He also said that he wanted to record it in full so that it could be used as a record of the event

I disagree. Provocation is neither a legal nor moral defence. Have another look at that video and decide whether that is the appropriate response to having a water sachet thrown at you.

It adds further context if they were provoked.

No justification meant here. It's a sad sight.

What is clear is that clubs, not just this one, can do a whole lot more to educate their members.

And to honour the jersey.

How will this all end?

Any criminal charges laid?

Sad. Sad day.

Not just for cycling. But for society.

Edited by ' Dale

My sons version.... when is born ill ask him the funny thing is the hub is just a part of media where we make up stuff .. you guys wana no who i am in the clip . don''t think i was there ...59 secs of that clip really shows the whole fight . what really happened we don't no . i am was not there i just watched the clip like all of the guys on the hub. assuming like all what happened . looking at the clip that car is standing near the robots that might of been red . why would the guy in the clip be standing still ? we wanna name them an band them an say they wrong in the one blog i read they where sprayed with water . as cyclist know its really dangerous when roads are wet falling is not nice .breaking a collar is not all .

Robots??? Please point out where those are... I've rewatched the video a couple times and don't see any. Seems like you must know more about this than you are letting on.

Correct, in English Law, provocation is a defense in a murder case. If successful, perpetrator may be found guilty of manslaughter. As SA criminal law is not codified, we rely on common law. Thus English Law may be applicable. See also case of Chretien, 1981... my input for the day, NOT AT ALL condoning the actions (or reactions if you want) of these scumbag-angry-douchie roadies in the video).

Yes, but the point I am making is that it is not a defence to excuse unlawful conduct. There will still be a conviction.

This is hectic. On a lighter side don't you just love the song on the radio at the end, Bad Day.

Nice song on the radio--have a nice day

Cause you had a bad day, you're taking one down

You sing a sad song just to turn it around

You say you don't know, you tell me don't lie

You work on a smile and you go for a ride

need I say more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Beat me to it.

Edited by Ceres

See the comment on their FB page. I registered to post this. I'm not a cyclist, but a road user in CT and it's not a good time for you (cycling as a collective). Last week I witnessed a cyclist abusing a woman in a car for over a block in Muizenberg, screaming in her window while swerving all over the road. Yesterday St James road was a nightmare with cyclists suddenly going from single-file to three abreast for no apparent reason and skipping red lights. None of this gives you guys a good name.

Glad you posted this image, because I see the comment has disappeared off the facebook page.

When did this become a murder trial?

THAT'S ALL YOU TOOK OUT OF IT??????

Edited by fanievb

hahahaha

How this turned into a race issue is amazing.... The only race that should be mentioned in relation to this post is the Argus.

But seriously, it is about entitlement, patience, frustration and most of all, a seeming absoliute disparity between actions and consequences.

I was taught that violence was a last, desperate fight or flight option. As a small, wiry student I spent years avoiding Stellenbos due to the testo fulled over muscled rugby jocks turning in an instant to violence.

Amicable behaviour, an ability to swallow ones pride and admit fault as well as an inability to see that actions have lasting consequence have been lost because so many things just get brushed under the rug.

Prosecute these guys. All of them.... No one stopped the guy, no one thought in inappropriate. Violence is NOT acceptable. If the driver didnt hit anyone or hurt anyone, why not just shrug and ride off feeling that all involved were lucky that no lasting physical damage was done?

This reaction is pathetic, not acceptable and not defendable.... The end

Edited by singlespeedGuy

i read they where sprayed with water . as cyclist know its really dangerous when roads are wet falling is not nice .breaking a collar is not all .

I have been sprayed with a hosepipe on hot days and i have never turned around to beat up the culprits.

Looks pretty hot in CT and maybe guys were just trying to cool the riders down.A little water hasn't killed anyone......ask the guys that rode in Belgium this weekend.

It adds further context if they were provoked.

I wasn't there to experience that actually happened. Cannot judge with accuracy and sound judgement.

Neither can this forum as there are missing moments.

What is clear is that clubs, not just this one, can do a whole lot more to educate their members.

And to honour the jersey.

Context, yes.

I have no difficulty in judging that the conduct I saw on the video as unacceptable and that it has no place on our roads. The context, while it may be of interest and explain much of what we saw, does not excuse their conduct.

The posts by the club on FB makes the situation worse.

Agree with you regarding the clubs.

Edited by Blackbeard