Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

My question too. There's a big difference between a grey import and a fake.

Both Pinarello and ASG have confirmed it as a fake, maybe the shop tried to pass it off as a grey import, but the fact remains that it is a fake and confirmed by third parties as a fake.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its really very simple.

Taking a chinese frame and branding it with your own bike name is not fraud.

Taking a chinese frame and branding and selling it as a pinarello is fraud.

Andrew, I am sorry for the experience you have been through and am grateful for you to share the information in the hopes of saving others from the same dubious behaviour.

WTF is wrong with you people? Ten minutes with Google will tell you that Andrew Armstrong, posting under his own name, is a senior executive in a multinational IT consulting business. People like this make serious money, so 90k for a bike is standard fare and if he got a fake, he will get another and then sort out the fake in his own time. You should be thanking the man for coming on here, UNDER HIS OWN NAME to warn other people of the ride he has been taken on.

And no relation to Lance?

IT, hmmm i need to send you my CV....

If what the OP is saying is the truth which I have no reason to doubt then the LBS was out to catch people with fake frames, because why else would they put super record on a fake frame? Most people that build up fake frames put lower end parts on.

Edited by Ceres

After reading all the posts a number of snotty comments are just sitting on the end of my tongue. As this is the hub maybe I should be a bit of a cat and let rip:

Firstly, you bought a genuine replica fake, or something like that. What you wanted was something that was like good, awesome, and would make you feel good. Which it did until you realised that it was neither genuine or a genuine replica ridden by some European pro cyclist. Now you are miffed. You feel cheated because it is a different bike, not because it was a worse bike. You assume that the bike is worse because Pinarello says it is not a Pinarello, not because you have cycled the real thing and felt the difference.

On this point it seems that you were easily parted with your money (goed koop is duur koop). As an analogy you went to a dodgy VW dealer to buy a BMW, and when realising you were sold a corsa you are the blixim in. It seems that in parting with almost 90k on a bike you were less prepared than when you go buying earl grey tea. It seems as if you were a willing victim of kakonomics, where suddenly you are aggrieved to realise that a non-registered (pinarello) dealer bike shop just doesn't suddenly sell Pinarello dogma's. I mean few people suddenly wake up in the morning and decide to buy a dogma, it is a dream bike, like a designer item, top of the brand the rolex of cycling, the rolls Royce of two wheels ext. To buy a dogma should entail working through the registered dealer and agent. You don't just buy a dogma. BUT you did.....

Also, as the Dogma is "the" bike, Pinarello and ASG should make more effort to sort this thing out. It is their good brand name that is being eroded. Image how much business (and helicopter flips) ASG is losing by Cycle Sciences little sideline? How can cycling a dogma be a status symbol when ever township boy is one a dagma look alike. What is the bumptious of that? Status must cost money and Cycle Science is eroding the entire edifice of the cycling pyramid. Next thing people will start winning races on Raleigh's.

Finally, you can take the loss as your instalment on your further education in cycling or chose to call your lawyers who will then call cycle sciences lawyers (who will then spend the money you gave them) to sort it all out and that would cost you the same.

Anyway, after all that cat-I-ness, I do feel sorry for you, partly because I was taken for a ride by a bike shop when I bought my first road bike. The guy sold me a bike that was 5cm too big. It was hell riding it and I had to buy a new frame shortly afterwards. But Karma is a b!tch and it turns out his wife preferred his bike mechanic in the hay.......

how condescending and patronising.

how many dogma's did/do they have in stock? was it a 'special order' for you or did they juts have one that happened to be in your size or a whole fleet?

just trying to get a handle as to how serious they are about pushing fakes.......

I would think with the consumer act the way it is they really have no choice but to give your money back?

I have never seen so many fake Pinarellos like I did on our last roadie race before the world funride champs, the Bouckaert Soenen!

Seems they are everywhere in the WC also.

Edit: world FUNRIDE champs

Edited by Tankman

This is a bit off topic and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes but last time I checked a Dogma 65.1 with top end Groupset and Carbon Wheels was about R150K?

Ill never afford a real Pinnerello anyway! Any shops that admittedly sell fake ones? Im interested!

This is a bit off topic and I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes but last time I checked a Dogma 65.1 with top end Groupset and Carbon Wheels was about R150K?

Maybe it was a second-hand fake!

If what the OP is saying is the truth which I have no reason to doubt then the LBS was out to catch people with fake frames, because why else would they put super record on a fake frame? Most people that build up fake frames put lower end parts on.

A R50k budget won't get you a Dogma frame but it will get you a fake with DA or Record parts.

The fake scams are pretty bad this side of the pond to.to a point where i often wonder if the guy in front or next to me is on a Pinarello or Chinarello :eek:

My 2 cents is that if I walk into a shop and fork out 91k for a brand name that I trust and believe to be exceptional quality, I expect it to be an original product.

This bike shop in question should own up and pay if you ask me.

Klaar! Einde van die storie.

Ill never afford a real Pinnerello anyway! Any shops that admittedly sell fake ones? Im interested!

Off topic, check out the Chinese carbon thread.

To OP, sorry for your loss. No advice can be given, as the best was already stated. Legal advice.

One thing though, don't be too sure that only "fakes" fail. Not trying to start a debate. Read and research might have saved you! Good luck

When did you last check, why did you check, and what's your point? The OP got diddled by a "reputable LBS", it's neither fair nor pleasant. Price is irrelevant.