Cycle Science in Broadacres Sells Fake Pinarello

I was in the market for an S works SL4 frame. While having breakfast at Europa, outside said bicycle shop, I saw an "S Works" frame on the repair stand. I enquired about it, as I was ideally looking for a good used frame. I was told by John, that he could get me one for R 20 000. It was directly from specialized, but as a parallel import. "Parallel Import" being his words.

I was quite surprised, as even a used frame from USA & Europe, would cost in excess od R25 000.

I popped in the next day and noticed that there was no serial number on the BB.

Decided to run a mile.

The shop in question must have contacts with frame manufacturers, as the MITO is their branded frame, which they sell as a high end frame, and price it accordingly.

WRT the OPs comment of buying two bikes soon after each other, read his post where he said he wanted if for his 50th.

I eventually also got a S Works which was supposed to be my Argus dream bike. But that has its own story, for another day :devil:

Court most probably is the better option…the Consumer Commission has a huge backlog.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, to those of you gave some good advice on how to get my money back and some words of encouragement. This has been a lugubrious experience to put it politely.

To those of you who thought I should have known better. Hindsight is always 20/20. However, I am not alone, I know of two other people who have been similarly ripped off. The fakes, if you have a look at the picture look a lot like the real thing to the unsuspecting or untrained eye. I trusted the bike shop this is an error of judgment, but I have been going there for over five years I even bought my son’s Bianci there. (note to self, check out Bianci)

To those of you who some how think I deserved to be ripped off. Perhaps you would like to borrow my fake frame, fake wheels and fake handlebars and practice some technical descending!

To the conspiracy theorists that think there is more to the story than simply being unwittingly sold a fake Pinarello by Cycle Science. I am sorry to disappoint you it is that simple. If it weren’t Cycle Science would have posted online and refuted Pinarello’s statement that the frame I purchased is fake. All I asked Cycle Science was to take back all the fake bike components they sold me anything genuine I would keep. They declined this offer. While I am disappointing you Neil Armstrong really did walk on the moon.

Andrew, don't worry too much about those with the conspiracy theories. Most here just like their "soapy" for the day :whistling: days of our lives you know.... :devil:

As for the fake Pina that really sucks dude and yeah I know I asked in the beginning of the thread if you didn't do research but yeah I guess if you walk into a "reputable" shop you don't expect to find a fake. And as you said they look pretty close to the same. It sucks being taken for a ride... Normally what happens to always trusting people like us ne. Give them horns and take the legal route even if it meant closing them down. I know if I had the means that's what I would have done.

Good luck with this debacle :thumbup:

Please post Pic and exact location of the shop. Maybe a website. We could of course bomb them with questions and make them aware of the damage being done to their brand.

Went into that shop a while ago and saw some premium brand golf shirts with high end cycle brand names on them at really "good" prices.. Luckily I didn't buy them. Buy one frame get the "t-shirt" free ??

Please post Pic and exact location of the shop. Maybe a website. We could of course bomb them with questions and make them aware of the damage being done to their brand.

Quick google search..... :ph34r:

http://cyclescience.net/

Went into that shop a while ago and saw some premium brand golf shirts with high end cycle brand names on them at really "good" prices.. Luckily I didn't buy them. Buy one frame get the "t-shirt" free ??

So cycling really is the new golf? :whistling:

Welcome to the hub Andrew, thanks for taking the time to warn us about these unscrupulous idiots. i hope you take the time to use some of the advice offered and nail them. Good luck!

Wow just wow.....note to self, dont come within a mile of said shop.

And if you do, don't post it on the H.

Wish you luck Andrew.

Hope next time you come around, you're on the top!

We need to hear both sides of the story but so far doesnt look good. Beyond comprehention how a bike shop can do something like that and expect to remain in business.

Something gives me the feeling there is another side and/or additional or undisclosed aspects to this story. Amazingly, these types of Rants are so often started by new virgin OP accounts. Someone who had a Pina for 10+ years, buys a DOGMA, pays for TWO in a matter of months, first activity on thehub is a rant about how he got screwed.

Secondly, the OP keeps on about "wide spread frame failures" of un-branded bikes. Which really has nothing to do with the fact that the bike is a fake. The emphasis on this aspect just makes me wonder what the the real story is....

The Op seems to act totally naive on one aspect, but on the other hand claims to have knowledge of mass failure of un branded frames?

Also, the watches analogy makes no sense, because nothing gets more knocked off than a Rolex, and I'm certainly not going to shop for a Rolex at my friendly grocer. No matter how much I want to support my "local" grocer. This Op is the savior of every LBS. Not wanting to heckle pricing.... Really now?

And somehow, some 50 y.o international jet setter with enough liquid cash monies for 2x Dogmas at " Retail " gets ripped off at this scale just smells funny to ME?

Sometimes I feel we need to apologise about the on - line behaviour of some Hub members. What gives you the right to pass judgement on what is clearly fraud, just because the OP is a new member. Does one have to post a thousand inane comments or threads before you are "experienced" enough to expose a scam that could affect a lot of other people who are trusting towards a shop that appears above board. To insult Andrew because he "is a jetsetter" is uncalled for and you have exposed your own shortfalls. A person of his standing is unlikely to open up a BS accusation unless he was genuinely taken.

Over the weekend I was discussing the Hub with a big player in the industry, both as a Bike Shop owner and a competitive cyclist. His comment: " The all knowing Hub" ruled by certain members who try to make points just for the sake of being confrontational. Must we all use Helopeter rather than share directly with the cycling fraternity?

i look forward to hearing the outcome of this.

seek legal advice and maybe drop off a legal letter at the shop to show them your intent.

as for the cycle science... i was going to pop in there today, i might still just to hear their side of this and to make them aware of this thread.

i cant wait for their reply to this...

to Andrew: thanks for keeping they cycling community informed!

Proper fake or just a grey import?

My question too. There's a big difference between a grey import and a fake.

My question too. There's a big difference between a grey import and a fake.

i think it's been mentioned a number of times that it is a FAKE and not grey import and the difference explained about as many times :ph34r: