Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

Did a job in Mbombela (Nelspruit). Slabbed it down on Wednesday. Stayed at Mankele without a bicycle, torture, I know. Not really, its so nice and quiet there, basically one other patron in the whole campsite, made it pure bliss.

Handed over to the client and decided to take the scenic route to Dullstroom. There is a dirt road that starts just down the road from sudwala caves, that goes to Lydenburg.

very scenic.

attachicon.gif8C65BCA0-6D98-43FD-B86C-5572C74C527E.jpeg

attachicon.gif9E977E41-1BF7-4E05-8138-D103ADF36327.jpeg

Then things got interesting very quickly. As I gained elevation, the temp dropped very quickly to around 4deg. It was also very misty, and the road in sections was wet, with soapy exposed rock and mud.

attachicon.gif44D0D2EC-A17B-49E5-AF3C-3B9F0495F906.jpeg

still enjoying myself here.

Really awesome part of the country. 

attachicon.gif09B1DB97-39BB-44CC-B2D4-FD4A4B4CED4A.jpeg

visbility became bad to really bad after this, add the icy mist/drizzle and I had to keep my visor open to see where I was going, while freezing my face off.

last photo. After this, I dare not stop, for fear of losing footing, or not being able to get going again...( actually, it was farking cold and wet, and I just wanted to get somewhere warm)

attachicon.gifF8A60444-8169-4043-8671-970C87BC7C1B.jpeg

Made it to the tar at Lydenburg, and headed for Dullstroom, opted for the tar, and I was decidedly miserable at this stage.

of course, the last 10 kays into Dullstroom was more wetness, fog and cold. Pulled into Anvil for coffee, and warmed up next to the roaster.

Stopped at the poacher, they had a fire going, had some lunch and a coke. I literally had do pry myslef away from that fireplace and hightailed it back to Joburg.

Despite the adverse conditions, a true mini adventure was had. 

I think that is what the description of living life should be in the Oxford dictionary 

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

attachicon.gif1CF36F78-7158-4FD3-BF47-0B38482280BD.jpeg

Did a not so quick 403 km round trip for coffee in De Rust. Home through Prince Albert and Swartburg Pass. This pic on the Klein Sleutalfontein dirt track between the N12 and Prince Albert.

How are enjoying the KTM?

I am windowing shopping for a second bike for day to day use and some multi-day tours. I am very interested in the 1190 but have heard some horror stories of crazy maintenance cost and destroyed motors.

Keen to hear feedback from a current owner

I'll take a flyer seeing as I used to be involved in the pricing of new Yamaha arrivals back in the day.  Unfortunately, these days (from what I hear from my limited contacts) is that Bidvest is more about profit than sales numbers (as opposed to my day when McCarthy still wanted AMID numbers) so don't expect a bargain price.  Joffe believed Yamaha was on par with "exotic" brands like Ducati, BMW and KTM and didn't care about being competitive to the other Japanese brands so expect this bike to be close to what the equivalents are.  He'll feel that everyone has been waiting so long, they will pay for the privilege of owning one.

If I was to take a flyer, my guess is that it will be R169 950.

There - my hat is in the ring.....

So it seems I'm waaaaaay off the mark.  Had a bit of a chat with my old boss who was the General Manager of Motorcycles back in our day and he reckons there will be no surprises coming with the price.  His argument is that they have been way too quiet on pricing - the strategy usually is, that if there is a special launch price they announce it fairy early to stop any fence sitters from making purchases and rather waiting a few months.  He reckons the fact that there is no mention at all of any launch price means we're in for around the R210k mark.

I just don't think it's a R210k bike to be honest.

So it seems I'm waaaaaay off the mark.  Had a bit of a chat with my old boss who was the General Manager of Motorcycles back in our day and he reckons there will be no surprises coming with the price.  His argument is that they have been way too quiet on pricing - the strategy usually is, that if there is a special launch price they announce it fairy early to stop any fence sitters from making purchases and rather waiting a few months.  He reckons the fact that there is no mention at all of any launch price means we're in for around the R210k mark.

I just don't think it's a R210k bike to be honest.

Should be a rare sight on our roads then.

Crazy price for that bike!!!!

How are enjoying the KTM?

I am windowing shopping for a second bike for day to day use and some multi-day tours. I am very interested in the 1190 but have heard some horror stories of crazy maintenance cost and destroyed motors.

Keen to hear feedback from a current owner

I love it. This beast is the S model, works well for me on the Karoo dirt roads and is awesome on the tar with street based tyres. I have Anakee Wilds on now but had the brilliant Anakee Adventures on for a while. The bike has had the rear cylinder inlet rocker bits replaced due to a blocked oil inlet, done under warranty as I bought an after market warranty even though the bike is 2013. Apparently this is a known issue with these engines, or so I heard. I will be honest, I was after an Africa Twin and the Katoom was an impulse buy.......silly yes, but a massive smile on my face each time I ride it. I do not think the rear knobbly will last very long though....! Tis very easy to ride way faster that one should and has very clever rider aids. Been fun getting used to the big twin, I am used to four cylinder engines and of course my little KLR. The big Katoom is excellent on a long trip, fast and comfortable. Light enough to hustle on the dirt tracks. I am becoming a fan of the Orange!

I love it. This beast is the S model, works well for me on the Karoo dirt roads and is awesome on the tar with street based tyres. I have Anakee Wilds on now but had the brilliant Anakee Adventures on for a while. The bike has had the rear cylinder inlet rocker bits replaced due to a blocked oil inlet, done under warranty as I bought an after market warranty even though the bike is 2013. Apparently this is a known issue with these engines, or so I heard. I will be honest, I was after an Africa Twin and the Katoom was an impulse buy.......silly yes, but a massive smile on my face each time I ride it. I do not think the rear knobbly will last very long though....! Tis very easy to ride way faster that one should and has very clever rider aids. Been fun getting used to the big twin, I am used to four cylinder engines and of course my little KLR. The big Katoom is excellent on a long trip, fast and comfortable. Light enough to hustle on the dirt tracks. I am becoming a fan of the Orange!

Wheelie induced oil starvation perhaps........

K-eeps

T-aking

M-oney

Wheelie induced oil starvation perhaps........

K-eeps

T-aking

M-oney

Now with a motogp win its going to take a lot more.

But while we on the subject, why is KTM in motogp? 

No price that I've seen, but nowadays all the nice bikes start at well over R150K [emoji3061][emoji3064]

Look, even entry level basic 125cc bikes are getting expensive.

My FIL bought one of these as a run about round 5 years ago at 10K ... I know it is 5 years, but that is a 15K increase, with no real changes to the bike at all.

https://www.honda.co.za/motorcycles/ace-125

I enjoy bike rallies, i used to go to one or 2 a year including a private rally which we held at various locations every year in conjunction with a few mates. Its a great opportunity to let your hair down and chill a bit with like minded folks and see some nice machinery. And a great opportunity to ride your bike all over the country. I have always wanted to go the Sturgis , the pinnacle of rallies i spose. Time, money etc been the barrier. One day i hope to ...its on my biking bucket list like IOM. 

(edit: enough threads about the lurgy)

Edited by IceCreamMan