What is good enough?

Johan Schade

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bike cost is mostly proportional to the extent to which the bike will go faster, without killing you. The more you spend, the lighter it will be, less rolling resistance (or better grip/handling), etc etc.

So from a purely engineering point, good enough is how much money you have, and how urgently you wanna beat piet pompies next to you. Sorta like Scotty said. IMHO R30 k will get you a fine hard tail. Do research here (or the two bike mags mentioned) and chose your own component and frame set, and build it up.

You guys are getting it all wrong. Deciding which bike to buy has got nothing to do with rider ability. We can all agree that Contador on a Makro bike will beat all of us on a Dogma. That goes without saying, and it is beside the point.

Just as some people drive Merc's, and others drive Golf's, the same applies to bikes. They all have wheels, and will all get you from A to B, but the better specced expensive one is just soooooo much nicer to ride, to be seen with, and to look at.

Buy the best and most expensive bike you can afford. If you don't, you will just end up yearning for it and eventually buy it anyway.

You guys are getting it all wrong. Deciding which bike to buy has got nothing to do with rider ability. We can all agree that Contador on a Makro bike will beat all of us on a Dogma. That goes without saying, and it is beside the point.

Just as some people drive Merc's, and others drive Golf's, the same applies to bikes. They all have wheels, and will all get you from A to B, but the better specced expensive one is just soooooo much nicer to ride, to be seen with, and to look at.

Buy the best and most expensive bike you can afford. If you don't, you will just end up yearning for it and eventually buy it anyway.

I can dig that....

Ignore what I said....this is the answer.

Falco is 90% there - until you ride a dogma while carrying a beer boep and weaving up hills.

So the question is it if you are good enough for your bike - not if your bike is good enough for you.

When somebody wants to buy a new bike he or she can use it as a standard on what is good enough for the type of riding they are going to do.

This is the problem in that it is relative to the person and their financial ability.

If you put it simply and say a novice rider, for enjoyment but can still compete in a race, then Deore/equivalent groupset with minimum Avid 3 brakes on an average to better entry level frame will "suffice".

The cost of that would then be between 7k (2nd hand ) and R20k (new) for a 29er HT with air shock.

But then you have to take so many things into account ie: competitive nature, enjoyment, rider weight, rider ability and progression, preferred terrain, goals and more. These could have simple effects or major effects on what to buy and when, as they may change drastically in a short space of time.

IMHO the biggest issue is the novice purchasing a bike cannot explain himself properly to the sales person as he/she does not know what to expect in a race. I made this mistake and although I thought at one stage I was sold the wrong bike, what I told the sales person is what they sold me. It was way better than the piece if rubbish still lying in my garage which I sometimes use for taking my 2 year old for a ride in the kiddies seat. I hated riding it, so never progressed. Now I have, not even a year later, bought a dual sus with longer travel which has made me want to ride daily( can't but want to). Not to say it has made me better but it has sparked the want for better bike skills which in turn has improved my riding.

I have not raced as yet but I am told that Conterman's blue route would be no worse in terms of technical skills but is not long enough for the average race. Not to say that I would be in the top 50 but I would probably not struggle, especially now, again this is relative to the person, their experience/skills and their knowledge.

hahahhaha lekker man...lekker :thumbup:

Ditsem manne nou praat julle. Ek stem 100% saam dat jy koop wat jou sak pas. Dit is egter so dat mens nie noodwendig die inligting by die LBS kry nie. Hulle begin altyd by die 20 k + fietse.Ek ry op die oomblik 'n scott scale 40 26" HT en 'n BMC fourstroke FS02 26" DS.

Ek stel belang om oor te skyf na 29". Dit is hoekom ek vra. Ek ry tusen 30-50 km. Hou van tegniese terrein. Swart roete by Oak valley of Jonkershoek.

Buy what you can afford. What is important is to get the geometry right for the type of riding you will be doing most of the time.

I saw okes flying in races on bikes with v brakes and the bike made of steel.

Just ride the bike and enjoy it. Newbies have no basis of reference anyway until they upgrade.

I can't see why I should pay 50k on a bike when I only ride for my own enjoyment.

Beause I ride only for my own enjoyment, I want the best I can afford.

If i did it for a living, the best TOOL for the job would be needed.

Because it is being done solely for my enjoyment, practicality is irrelevant and the one that stirs my heart is the one I will ride.

I ride for fun

I own a Bianchi Jab full XT and all the bells and whistles

Bought used for R6000

So you can ride the best and better for under 10K if you shop around

Edited by pacific gtr

I am a keen MTB rider as in my humble opnion with relative good skills and ability. I am fortunate enough to be able to spend 20-30 k on a bike.

I believe we live in a society where the media and some LBS wants us to believe that the expensive bikes and components are the way to go.

I know there is a lot of recreational riders that wants to know what is goog enough for a good solid ride. I am talking about the normal 30-50 km MTB races.

It will be brilliant if someone or perhaps Bicycling or Ride magazine can give us an indication on what is sufficient when you are a novice, average or above average rider.

I am talking about groupset, wheelset, brakes, suspension ect.

When somebody wants to buy a new bike he or she can use it as a standard on what is good enough for the type of riding they are going to do.

First off...go for a bike fitment.I see far to many people riding expensive bikes with their seats to low and bars to high.

Then decide on hard tail or dual suspension.

Now look at your budget and start test riding bikes.

Fork me, these threads about who should ride this/buy that, and what is too expensive or blah blah blah... So what house is enough for an average person? What should you spend on food/clothes, etc then? Cars, woman, ????

Why do you care what other people spend their money on? Why judge or decide for others, just get over it. No one can tell you what's good enough "for you".

It's all relative to what you earn and how important the cycling/hobby is to YOU. Further to that it comes down to your individual DNA and makeup. If bikes are your thing, then feel free to indulge, if not move along and stop trying to judge other people.

It's not your place to decide what others should drop their cash on. Such a stupid mentality. Argh!!!!

Falco is 90% there - until you ride a dogma while carrying a beer boep and weaving up hills.

So the question is it if you are good enough for your bike - not if your bike is good enough for you.

That is me you are describing, albeit I don't ride a dogma; I am more of a Colnago man myself.

However, my bikes don't get to to choose how hard, fast or often I ride them. They have no say about relative capability. And I don't give a toss.

While not a mountain biker, the following applies to all forms of semi competitive riding.

I believe you buy the nicest bike you can afford. But always budget in money for contact points and major energy loss points. Ie, save money for top end bibs, a saddle that fits your ass, decent bars that fit and are comfortable. Decent stiff shoes that you don't lose power through, etc.

When you're comfortable, you get to only focus on the riding. When you're complaining about sore hands, neck, back, gooch, sunglasses that fog up quickly, a helmet you fell all ride long, that **** ruins your ride and slows you down.

Get comfy, and ride the bike you love to be on. The one that makes you smile. Done man